Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
On average which will weigh more? Thanks captdavid

Last edited by captdavid; 04/27/16.

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Probably pretty close if the same age,but an older very mature cow will weigh more.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The last elk I took to a commercial processor weighed 330 on the hook, hide off. She was a biggun. However, the OP said average and she wasn't.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A big/older cow will weigh more than a spike...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A spike is only a spike for one season.
A cow can get to a pretty good size if it manages to live long enough.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Spikes can vary in size, because they're still growing pretty fast. Have seen some pretty big spikes late in fall or early in winter. But a really big cow can be pretty big!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I shot a bull that had two spikes running with it. If they weighed 300 lbs whole I would have been shocked , tiny little fellows. On the other hand my pop shot a cow once that weighed 400lbs skinned at the meat locker. Huge ole girl , that was a wee chewy!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Weight-wise I don't know, but a mature cow and an antelope will fill my chest freezer.

Have only shot one spike and that was so long ago I couldn't tell you how it tasted, which is more important to me than weight. For taste, don't shoot the lead cow or the herd bull.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most spikes are 1.5 years old. Therefore most herds will have a significant proportion of older therefore heavier cows.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Spikes are only about 18 months old come hunting season. They are not very big yet. Some are pretty small. One small spike I shot, had I not had help to pack, I might have contemplated trying to get in a single load since the meat was not filling my pack sack as much as normal (I was a lot younger then). Personal observation, having parted out, packed out and butchered several cows and spikes: for meat I would rather get a mature cow than settle for a spike. Mature cows are simply larger and yield more meat. They often taste better, too.

But to back that opinion up, here is a paper with real data
http://www.wyoextension.org/agpubs/pubs/B594R.pdf.

Or here is a table from that publication for comparison. Spike would be 1 1/2, average cow I would be comparing with was probably 4-6 years old. That small spike was a bigger than a calf, but certainly smaller than the average on the table, so maybe its yield of boneless meat would have been 120 pounds.

[Linked Image]

And if you look at this photo of a mature cow and a raghorn at approximately the same distance from the camera, you can see that even a raghorn (2 1/2 years it looks like) may be only the same size or a little smaller than a mature cow.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless they are the same age (1.5 y-o cow vs 1.5 y-o bull) a cow will weigh more, just like the chart above shows. A mature cow will often have bigger hind quarters than a younger rag horn bull. But in the same scenario a bull will have heavier fronts.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I would expect a young cow to taste better than a young bull (all other things being equal as to bang-flop, good handling of meat, etc). Anyone ever compare the two?

BH63

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You wouldn't be able to tell blindfolded......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive shot a Calf, 4x4 raghorn and several cows. The 4x4 raghorn was the best eating. Most of the Cows were old dry cows so I am sure that has a lot to do with it.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I shot both of these elk out of the same herd, the spike was bigger. It all depends on the cow and the spike. What people don't understand is that elk are like people and not all cows get large and not all bulls get huge antlers...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
You wouldn't be able to tell blindfolded......

Why would he have to be blindfolded?

You do cut the nuts off before you cook 'em up, dontcha?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
^
Funny! (although I did get what the huntsman22 meant).

But come to think of it, I would guess it depended upon what part of the elks you were cooking.

BH63

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shrapnel, could that spike be long in the nose? As in a 2.5 year old?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
In the 90s we killed two spikes nearly every year. We quartered them and had them processed. I can tell you that Thanksgiving killed AZ spikes weighed between 220 and 240 quartered. That was saving everything on the carcass except the lower legs. Nothing was boned off. I weighed a lot of them.

My son killed a big old cow a few years ago that the hanging carcass weight was a little over 400# and bigger than any bulls that he had in yet.

In the early 90s my buddy killed a bull in Eastern AZ that was weighed in the field by the biologist with a portable tripod. It was north of 950#. The second bull they had was only 550#. Both were 300" 6x6s.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dennis,

All good points.

There can be a considerable size difference between Montana spikes killed in September, when both bow and back-country elk seasons open, and spikes killed late in the fall. September spikes are only about 1.25 years old, while late in the fall they're the "normal" 1.5 years old, and since they're growing fast when that age they can grow quite a bit in three months. And there are a few 2.5 year old elk with spike antlers.

Any comparison also depends on what's called a "cow." My biggest bodied Montana mule deer buck was as large as a 1.5-year-old cow elk my wife killed a couple weeks later. But have seen some cows as large as some 6-point bulls.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 3,135 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.