Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by mathman
OK, but how do you prove you're sighted in?

Well, he shoots 2 shot groups... Damn man, where you been??? whistle

grin

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My goal is 3 rounds from a rest into 1-1.5" consistently. I'd prefer 1"or less, and most of my rifles will do so for 3 shots. But in the real world even 2" is probably acceptable. But it is no great feat to get 3 shots in 1" anymore. I could care less what the groups look like for 5 rounds. I'm not shooting a target rifle.

I've shot a lot of 1/2" groups (and even smaller) over the years with my hunting rifles. But not consistently and I'd not give up 100 fps nor sweat the details to improve on 1". Once I find a load that will give near max speed and 1" groups my load development is over.

As long as I know what the rifle, scope and load is capable of the rest is up to me. At this point my goal is to hit a 9" paper plate consistently from field positions. Once I reach the range where I can't do that then I have no business shooting at that range.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hunting accuracy is a term people use to make themselves feel better about whatever rifle/shooter combination they want to elevate or reinforce. YMMV.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
"Hunting accuracy" is the ability to hit your target without the use of a bench rest.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Apparently my old smooth bore Ithaca 37 Deerslayer had adequate hunting accuracy because I killed a double shytload of deer with it. It would print 4-5" groups at 80 yards and proved wickedly deadly on any whitetail inside that range many times.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by whitebread
Hunting accuracy is a term people use to make themselves feel better about whatever rifle/shooter combination they want to elevate or reinforce. YMMV.

Laffin...c'mon. We don't really believe that. Do we? smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
"Hunting accuracy" is the ability to hit your target without the use of a bench rest.

Ken - Does that mean you can hit the 'deer' w/o throwing the bench too ? grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moosemike
3 moa is hunting accuracy but I won't keep a 3 moa rifle around.

Not for me it isn't. I'd never try a 400 yard field shot on deer with a 3 MOA rifle.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Ken - Does that mean you can hit the 'deer' w/o throwing the bench too ? grin

Jerry
Yup. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Hunting Accuracy" is a term synonymous with "good enough".

Its a level of accuracy of which hunters are content and confident with their rifle and ammo to a point where they believe it is good enough to get the job done.

It is a step below "accurate" and a step above MOPPFTHOMT (minute of pie plate off the hood of my truck).

Last edited by wareagle700; 04/30/16.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Deflagrate
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by geedubya
I shoot "groups" over a "chrony" during load development to determine a velocity/accuracy quotient. I tend to favor accuracy over velocity. I've been fortunate that most of the rifles I've owned will shoot groups around 1" at 100 with some combo.

After I determine the load/bullet combo for a particular rifle, I'm much more interested in 1st shot out of a cold barrel.

Some rifles I zero at 100. Others at 200. I typically shoot 300 yds or less and "hold over" vs. dial.

I do know that after reloading for 25 years or so, I'm much less anal about the process than I was a couple years after I started. I counted the other day. I've loaded for 81 different cartridge iterations.

Best,

GWB

I fall into this camp also !

Me too.
And I always go hunting with one fouling shot down the bore. Maybe it's a leftover old wives' tale I grew up with, but that's what I do.

Well...I'm close to that!
Only exception is; I want both accuracy and velocity.
Get it by experimenting with the rifle if accurate but at lower than desired velocity.

Anyway... Only have one rifle that still wants to shoot a cold barrel flyer. But had 3 that shoot a clean barrel flyer (now 2 - I fixed 1). And a bunch that do neither As do friends. So take you want from my experience, but I see many more rifles that shoot CLEAN barrel flyers than COLD.

So yes, I also sight-in and leave'em dirty for hunting.

Ray
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
So long as my rifle hits in a consistant manner and 1" or less....time and time again....I'm cool with that. Now, they may not get to hang around because we only like guns that are more accurate than 1". Funny thing is, day to day with our intervention, many folks can't consistantly shoot 1/2" groups(me included). I think the take away is, if you can confidently squeeze th trigger and hit where you are aiming, you can go hunting. Just my 2 cents. I've killed a bunch of white-tails and I've used rifles from sub 1/2" guns to 3" guns at 100. Deer has no idea what it shoots like when you hit them in the pump house....and an average Georgia white-tail pump house is WAY bigger than and inch or two.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My Dad hunted deer in the Ozarks with a Trapdoor Springfield during the '30s. I have it today and it's only minute of dinner plate at 100 yards. I'm sure he knew his rifle and chose his shots well. He never worried about MOA, he just knew if he could make the shot. That was hunting accuracy - what one is capable of with the tool in hand in field conditions. If the tool is crap it will hinder you. If your skills and judgement are crap it will hinder you no matter the accuracy of the tool.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hunting accuracy is not the rifle, it's the shooter. The rifle doesn't know if it's shooting paper or game. The shooter's ability to shoot from field positions means way more than what the rifle prints off a bench.
Cracks me up when people brag about their rifle's little tiny groups but can't hit a bull in the azzz with a scoop shovel off hand.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What's hunting accuracy?

I aim at the animal and hit it where I want.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Hunting accuracy is not the rifle, it's the shooter. The rifle doesn't know if it's shooting paper or game. The shooter's ability to shoot from field positions means way more than what the rifle prints off a bench.
Cracks me up when people brag about their rifle's little tiny groups but can't hit a bull in the azzz with a scoop shovel off hand.

laugh Yup.

I don't like a rifle that gets in the way of what I'm trying to hit! That often means something different in the field than on the bench, and vise versa.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by BobinNH
What's hunting accuracy?

Ya'

with the rifles I hunt with, If I miss, 99% of the time its the operator, not the rifle.

Just sayin'

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What's hunting accuracy?

Ya'

with the rifles I hunt with, If I miss, 99% of the time its the operator, not the rifle.

Just sayin'

GWB

GW ain't it the truth! wink

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What is: "Hunting Accuracy" Defining the term.

I generally prefer not to respond to your posts but I am desperately bored tonight, so here goes;

It is the term used by those who cannot otherwise explain why their rifle doesn't hit what they are aiming at unless the rifle is tucked into the left ear of the target.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
What's hunting accuracy?

Ya'

Just sayin'

GWB

GW ain't it the truth! wink
Nope,there was an earthquake when I pulled the trigger.

A grain of sand got in my eye.

A bird pooped on my scope and could not see the target when trigger was pulled.

grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 15 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,227
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.