-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have the opportunity to buy one of these locally for what seems a good price. Do any of you own one? Your thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can buy model seven stainless new these days at $640 shipped

https://grabagun.com/remington-seven-260rem-20-4rd.html

a used one depending on condition (of course) should be nearer to $500 or under to be a can't miss price.

I have several model 7s: 243, 22-250, 17 fireball, 223 rem, 17 rem

I've found them to be good handling, and fun to shoot. No experience with the 260 version.

I've always had triggers reworked, stocks switched out, bedded and then enjoy them as shooters.

Long story short- you can get good results out of them. Not all of them are out of box shooters. The "pressure pad/ should I free float the barrel" conversation has many people divided.

Lots of great info here on the fire regarding the process of determining whether to free float or not.

Bell carlson makes nice replacement stock for the model sevens. If your budget allows - order an HS precision for the uber.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 17_wizzer
You can buy model seven stainless new these days at $640 shipped

https://grabagun.com/remington-seven-260rem-20-4rd.html

a used one depending on condition (of course) should be nearer to $500 or under to be a can't miss price.

I have several model 7s: 243, 22-250, 17 fireball, 223 rem, 17 rem

I've found them to be good handling, and fun to shoot. No experience with the 260 version.

I've always had triggers reworked, stocks switched out, bedded and then enjoy them as shooters.

Long story short- you can get good results out of them. Not all of them are out of box shooters. The "pressure pad/ should I free float the barrel" conversation has many people divided.

Lots of great info here on the fire regarding the process of determining whether to free float or not.

Bell carlson makes nice replacement stock for the model sevens. If your budget allows - order an HS precision for the uber.

If you're going to buy a replacement synthetic stock, why not just buy a McMillan and get it in a style that fit you the best? I've always looked at B&C and HS Precision as being inferior to McMillan. Easier to find and delivered to your door more quickly, but as a rifle handle, decidedly inferior.

I find the 18.5" and 20" Remington Sevens to be butt-heavy, unbalanced to the rear, so about half of my Sevens have been rebarreled with longer barrels. Installing a 22" Remington 700 Mountain Rifle barrel on a Seven action makes a huge improvement in the balance of the package.

Until this week, I had owned at least one Remington Seven stainless/synthetic in 260 since 10/97. Now the only Seven stainless I have with a 20" barrel has been installed in one of the Custom Shop laminated mannlicher stocks. I like the Seven and 260 combination, but I like the Seven, 260, and 22" 700 MR barrel better. Adding a McMillan stock makes it better yet.

If you're going to hunt with a short action 6.5mm bore cartridge and don't feel an overwhelming need to shoot long, VLD, bullets that weigh over 130 grains, the 260 is just the ticket. The limiting factory in the Remington short actions is the magazine box length, just something to consider. This from a guy who has been shooting the 260 since Remington birthed it and who currently has 24 of them, including 4 Remington Sevens.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I picked up one of the new ones shoots great and is light. Barrel is actually 22" on the current .260s. Also rem was doing a $50 rebate probably still are?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wrangler13
I picked up one of the new ones shoots great and is light. Barrel is actually 22" on the current .260s. Also rem was doing a $50 rebate probably still are?

Somebody recently posted about buying a Remington Seven in 260 with a 22" barrel, but the label on the box indicated a 20" barrel and the 2016 Remington catalog indicates a 20" barrel. The conflict between what it is, 22", and what it claims to be, 20", has had me a bit confused.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Box indeed said 20" side by side with a current stainless m7 .223 (actually 20") it is 2" longer. Same contour just 22". I guess rem must have messed up and just used the 22"s instead of making more in 20"?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Own 3 model 7's in the .260 flavor, 2 stainless, 1 blued. All are nice carrying little rifles. All shoot acceptable well for what they are, not tack drivers in my stable but do a dandy job on our WV whitetail at moderate distances.

A deal is as good as you feel about it.

Honorary Gouger per Travis
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have one of the older 20" models. I filled the factory forearm to stiffen it which also helped the balance. I only tried one factory load which was the Remington core lokt, before and after bedding it was around 2" for three shots. Once I started handloading for it, it was no problem to get around 1" groups give or take.

It was quickly becoming my favorite deer rifle, but after I found out I was going to be a grampa I put it up to save it for the kid. She'll be 4 this year and I'm thinking I may ought to buy one of the newer ones so that we can both be shooting the same thing. At least that's the excuse I am planning on telling her gramma. grin

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have 2 SS model 7's, one in 7mm08 and one in 308.

These are both from the "original" run of SS models and not the current new run of SS.

I havent been able to put hands on a new one yet to see how it compares to the older ones.

TnBigBore Im in same area as you and most of them I see SS in good condition are around the $600 range with no optics.

I really like mine for what they are. Short , light, quick to point rifles. Ideal for when Im climbing or stalking.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the input guys. I missed out on the 260, but found a 7mm-08 in the same configuration. That is the caliber I really wanted anyway. I can't wait to work up some loads and see if I have a shooter.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Thanks for the input guys. I missed out on the 260, but found a 7mm-08 in the same configuration. That is the caliber I really wanted anyway. I can't wait to work up some loads and see if I have a shooter.

If you want to get a quick gauge on the accuracy potential of your new 7mm-08, buy a box of Hornady American Whitetail 139 grain loads. In my 2 7mm-08s they make the best/smallest groups. MidwayUSA currently has Hornady 7mm-08 brass on sale for $33 per 50.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Funny you should mention that as I already have a couple of boxes of it lying around.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Funny you should mention that as I already have a couple of boxes of it lying around.

The Barnes Vor tx in 120 TTSX does well in mine.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
TnBigBore shootin you a PM

I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one, sold it. I regret it every day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one of the originally produces SS versions in .260. It has the ridiculous J-lock that I keep threatening to replace, and it also has a single receiver hole for the rear of the scope base. I believe they've changed that.

I have heard that the early .260s were twisted too slow, which would could explain why mine has always been so-so in the accuracy department. Great handling gun though, and my kid shot it acceptably.

Chris
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by richardca99
I have one of the originally produces SS versions in .260. It has the ridiculous J-lock that I keep threatening to replace, and it also has a single receiver hole for the rear of the scope base. I believe they've changed that.

I have heard that the early .260s were twisted too slow, which would could explain why mine has always been so-so in the accuracy department. Great handling gun though, and my kid shot it acceptably.

Same here. I bought one immediately after Remington made the 6.5-08 a factory offering called the 260 Rem. I had the same experience. Not very accurate, but very handy. My son killed a few deer with the 120 NBT that shot fairly well. The old seven of 1997 would definitely need to be re-barreled IMO.

The Remington 700 I purchased last year has an 8 twist as does the Tikka T3 I have. Both shoot very, very well.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 21, 70 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.