Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've put it off way to long. Been riding in a number of 15" saddles that my quads and hamstrings have more than filled. It's not a bad thing with one that will throw a buck, but after a couple of hours it'd be nice to shift a bit.

I've not owned or ridden a Wade. Mainly used roping, association/mod, barrel, and in the past year tried an Aussie. Association or mod association are what I like best. Whatever I get will be used for general riding (lots of mountain/rough riding), starting young ones, ranch type roping (mainly pulling 250-300 lb buck goats, occasionally cattle when helping neighbors/friends).

For those of you that use one, any big likes or dislikes on a Wade? Especially in comparison to an association?

GB2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
JC, I was in the same position several years ago, and tried several different saddles. The saddle that fit me best, and most of the backs I have put it on, is a McCall Northwest Wade. Plenty comfortable for all day rides, and with bucking rolls has worked great for starting/riding young horses.
Also, has worked real well for rough country riding.
I can't say much about the roping though, as I've used mine mostly for the above and ponying young horses, and riding in working cowhorse events.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I ride in a wade. Been on several hunts in AZ for lion. 20 miles a day for 5 days and never sore or hurt butt. hog hunting in South Carolina, running after dogs, trail riding, camping, very comfortable, allows me to move around for uphills and downhills. I really like my wade, but never rode in an association so cannot compare.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Association or Will James for me. Never cottoned to bolt-on swells.......

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Appreciate the feedback. The bucking rolls are the kicker for me. Seems I'd use them on a lot of what I do...so the slick fork just became a swell fork.

Need to spend some time in the seat of one.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like the deep seat on my slick fork. A comfortable saddle to ride. I ride a 15" but I,am getting to big for the seat with heavy wool hunting pants. Should get a 16" built for my self.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I rode modified Associations for years, but my friend Charley Snell, a horse clinician and saddle-maker, built me a saddle on a Weatherly tree. It took me about three months to get used to it, then I loved it. I rode it for over 20 years. Shawn Kramer of Sandhills Saddlery in North Dakota is just now finishing me a rough-out Wade. I should have it in a few days. I ride slick forks and see no need for buckrolls. I may try them on this new saddle, but who knows. Like Pat85 said, if built right, a Wade has a great deep seat. But, Pat, I wouldn't jump straight to a 16" just because of hunting pants. A 15 1/2" would be better in my opinion, unless the 15" is too small now with regular pants.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I ride the '51 Association I inherited from my Gramps in the mid 70s I love it. when I was cowboying I would spend up to 10 hrs a day in it. It has never sored me or a horse. not a fan of slick forks especially in the mountains but that's JOM

BORN to HUNT
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mtrancher
I rode modified Associations for years, but my friend Charley Snell, a horse clinician and saddle-maker, built me a saddle on a Weatherly tree. It took me about three months to get used to it, then I loved it. I rode it for over 20 years. Shawn Kramer of Sandhills Saddlery in North Dakota is just now finishing me a rough-out Wade. I should have it in a few days. I ride slick forks and see no need for buckrolls. I may try them on this new saddle, but who knows. Like Pat85 said, if built right, a Wade has a great deep seat. But, Pat, I wouldn't jump straight to a 16" just because of hunting pants. A 15 1/2" would be better in my opinion, unless the 15" is too small now with regular pants.

I should just go on a diet and keep the 15.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
you might try lengthening your stirrups by a half-hole when wearing heavier pants.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been building saddles for over 30 years, been riding them for over 65. I build mostly Wades no days as they are extremely popular with the cowboys and wannabes out here. I ride a wade myself. You can put squaw tits on them, although they probably won't save your ass in a wreck lol. I also have built a lot of Associatons. If was building a saddle for a hunter, and I have, I would recommend the association or the will James tree. The ground seat in any saddle and how the stirrup leathers hang is what makes the saddle comfortable or not. Ed

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
640 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.