Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How did we all keep our fingers? LOL.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Throwing lit firecrackers. Lighting firecrackers with a match in left hand. Match burned down, lit another match, held in right hand, lit firecracker, threw match. BAM. Pretty well peeled my left thumb. blush

Last edited by websterparish47; 04/30/16.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Topic for a book in my life. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It does make you wonder how more of us didn't get seriously hurt. My next door neighbor lost half his hand when as a kid he found a blasting cap and had it go off in his hand.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by 12344mag
How did we all keep our fingers? LOL.

My adopted grand dad blew off the complete index finger, most of his middle finger and the first joint of his ring finger on his right hand, when he was about 10 with a carbide cannon he loaded with black powder.

Kept him out of the trenches in France.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Threaded steel pipe, pipe cap with hole drilled through. Put in firecracker, screw cap on, stuff a piece of newspaper down the muzzle, add hand full of pea gravel, another piece of newspaper on top, fire away. Had to watch for paper catching on fire.

A 2"er, those red paper ones with the green waterproof fuses, make a hell of a cannon.
Iron pipe, still have the pipe cap from the one Dad made for me. Silver Salutes, M80's, Cherry Bombs, and railroad torpedo's. Add a Daisy and a Sheridan and we go back to when the world was round and right

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Wood shop in the 7th grade, turned on wood lathe a 16"x3" cannon barrel made a 4 wheel carriage for it. Used the wood turned barrel as a mold to cast a barrel in aluminum in the metal shop foundry. Turned and bored it 3/4" on metal lathe.

Won first prize in the 7th Grade Industrial Arts for projects, was on on display in the schools lobby.

The summer between 7th and 8th grade, would take Black Cat firecrackers apart put powder down the barrel, used 3/4" steel ball bearing found in scrap metal behind a local shop. Got caught by Pop's shooting it into a telephone pole. It disappeared after that 49 years ago, never asked what happen to it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Summer, Age 12, ....on a lathe in the engine room of one of Dad's ships,....Bronze and Steel.
There were no hardwoods on the ship that I could find, ...strong enough to handle the recoil generated with match heads, so I genned one up out of 1/4 " plate.
When we hit Panama's Rio Pedregal, the trading post sold BP, for the local Indios "Escopetas", and I scored, big time.
Learend to lash it down on a fair sized plank, and harrassed countless Seagulls off the stern boat deck.
Shot a LOT of home brewed BP, once I hit the beach for winter schooling.
1/2" bore
Touch hole's eroded, it could stand to be bushed.
Parent's kept it on their mantle for many years, It made it's way back to me not all that long ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
we use 3/4 black pipe a 12 gauge shell will fit in perfect then screw a cap with a hole drilled in it over the shell, this is mounted to a board with a rat trap hooked to it, and a trip wire to the trap. the rat trap hits a nail in the cap that fires the 12 gauge shell. my brother and i would set these up on hog trails.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by gophergunner
It does make you wonder how more of us didn't get seriously hurt. My next door neighbor lost half his hand when as a kid he found a blasting cap and had it go off in his hand.

This happen to a couple friends of mine too. Brothers, playing with Caps and one went off. Milt lost three fingers and Joe lost an eye from one of Milt's fingers. They were pretty young at the time so I am not sure they even knew what the Caps were.

Back in those days there was a lot of mining going on around the area so caps and Dynamite were easy to buy, there was some in just about everyone's shed. They were just considered as a necessary tool for pulling stumps, making roads, small scale mining and Etc.

An Adult should have taken better care about storage in this case.

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 04/30/16.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What? No mention of potato guns?

Can or wd40 or cheap hair spray, 10lb sack of russets.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by slumlord

Lol...the best I have played with came pretty much ready to fire. They make a tool used in mounting Big Rig Tires we call an "Air Blast". The most Common brand is "Cheetah", It is a 5 Gallon Air Tank with a 2 1/2" Butterfly Valve and tube designed to instantly blast 5 Gallons of Air into a Tire to pop the bead up against the rim to make it take air. We take the tube out and thread in a longer piece of pipe. these are mean!

Actually...I still break this out now and then. smile

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 04/30/16.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
We used to shoot yard eggs with a potato cushion wad out of our potato gun! Direct lay on German neighbors Mercedes shop on back of his place. Hated that nazi bastid. He could [bleep] up a soup sandwich. Built his shop in middle of run off flood plain. But he knew what he was doing!!! Dummace!

Many times the eggs held together very well!!!! Especially when the hens had a good dose of oyster shell!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We used to make "grenades"...small fruits & vegetables...take a nail & create a pocket for the firecracker. We also got creative with the high end skyrockets...my younger brother got in a bunch of trouble when he was about 8 years old. He laid one in the street, pointed at the house across the street, lit it & the damn thing went straight through their front screen door & blew up in their living room while they were watching TV...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

This is what we grew up messing with. A friend of mine was at a party one night and some guys were messing around with a potato gun in the barn. One guy shot it out the barn door just as my buddy was walking by and hit him square in the side of the head. When he woke up, he knocked the kid out. grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Reread the thread-they were discussed.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
We used to make "grenades"...small fruits & vegetables...take a nail & create a pocket for the firecracker. We also got creative with the high end skyrockets...my younger brother got in a bunch of trouble when he was about 8 years old. He laid one in the street, pointed at the house across the street, lit it & the damn thing went straight through their front screen door & blew up in their living room while they were watching TV...

Bastid !

Coffee, Nose,.....

grin

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Never tried a fire cracker gun but can tell you that a blasting cap will blow a vice through the side of a barn

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I took an expended co2 cartridge, cut off the rounded bottom and then drilled out the neck for a "touch hole". I had a piece of pipe with the inside diameter of a golf tee, then taped it so it would just fit inside the cut open co2 cartridge. Some more tape and then taped it to a piece of 2x4.

If you held it vertical a firecracker fuze would fall through the hole. Marbles were really good ammo. You couldn't see them in flight. One time I put a golf tee in it and from about a foot away it almost buried itself in an oak tree.

We had another piece of that same pipe that we'd stick it in the ground. Then we'd knock the primer of a fired 20 gauge shotgun shell. We dropped a firecracker into the shell fuze first, and then bend the fuze to hold it in place as we put the shell down over the pipe. The first time we fired it we watched to see it come down and when no one saw it we looked at each other like, "where'd it go?" Several seconds later we heard it hit the street about 200 yards away.

Lots of good clean fun and fortunately or luckily grin no one got hurt.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,610
Posts18,454,896
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.