Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 37 of 70 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 69 70
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I think there's too many hunting bullets. smile whistle

Fortunately many of them are good and others I wouldn't give two cents for if I could have something else.

The conversations about them get silly after awhile as people try to create scenarios of crowning achievement or catastrophic failure for one or the other. It gets boring after awhile and is counter productive.

Truth is a guy could pick one good one for the 300 Weatherby (since thats the thread topic) and hunt the length and breadth of the continent for anything and never break a sweat...if he can hunt ....and shoot . No mystery. If we're befuddled by it, we need to shoot more BG animals and think about it less.

Of course that's harder,a lot more expensive, and generally takes a lot more time than talking about it on the internet.

I don't care a hoot about target bullets for BG although it makes for interesting reading,and I guess they make sense for stretching envelopes past 600 yards or so but I don't do that stuff and don't really care much about it all. I do enjoy plinking at distance though....it's fun. But if the elk is 900 yards away I don't need him that badly and am content to watch and figure out how to get closer..

I could also care less that others like and use them.If target bullet manufacturers intended their bullets for hunting it would say so on their web sites.

"Accuracy" and bullet placement are of course paramount but if the bullet fails to behave properly after it lands you might have more problems than if you missed completely. After the bullet leaves the barrel you are no longer in control and have been reduced to the status of an active observer but you are responsible for what happens nevertheless.......and the differences in accuracy in the field between your MOA and half MOA bullet are no where near as significant as many make them out to be under 99% of most BG shooting scenarios.

I'm not a big believer in"accidental" designs and unintended consequences but that's just me. OTOH I could care less what anyone else wants to do. I've rarely suffered from "bad bullets" because from early on I refused to use anything that i thought sucked.......my hunting life has been pretty free of strife and doubt as a result smile YMMV.

It's not all that hard is it Bob? wink grin

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
"Accuracy" and bullet placement are of course paramount but if the bullet fails to behave properly after it lands you might have more problems than if you missed completely.

That's a big "if," and one that none of the premium bullet proponents seem to have a handle on. No hands-on experience in other words, just so much hot air, like most of this thread.

I for one have a very good handle on it and have often said that most bullets will work most of the time - "most" being the operative word. My preference nevertheless is not just for premium bullets but for carefully selected bullets. There are a lot of what others would call "premium" bullets that I have actively chosen not to use based on their construction or demonstrated/expected/claimed performance, just as I choose not to use cup-and-core bullets when high velocity impacts might be encountered.

Like Bob, I don't give a fig what other people choose. He is absolutely correct when he says that once the bullet leaves the barrel the shooter becomes nothing more than an active observer but one that is responsible for the outcome.

As my younger brother says, if you go through life asking "What is the worst that could happen" and plan accordingly, you will save yourself a lot of grief and unpleasantness. And as Dad often said, "if you can't afford the gas you can't afford the car." My most expensive handloads use North Fork bullets, which I buy on sale to save a few bucks. Even with them the cost of my handloads is comparable to Remington Core-Lokt, Federal Power-Shok and Winchester Power-Point factory ammo and they are far less expensive than many factory 'premium' loads I consider no better or even much inferior to my handloads. OK, I could save about $0.70 per round using AccuBonds instead of North Fork bullets. In some cases that is what I choose to do, particularly for antelope. Even after several years of filling my antelope, deer and elk tags using AccuBonds (or partitions or whatever) I would only save enough money to buy a cheap glass of wine with my dinner out. Regardless, total ammunition costs don't amount to a even tiny fraction of my overall hunting costs and the potential savings are less still. If the premiums I use (North Fork SS and HP, Barnes TTSX, Nosler AB and Swift Sirocco-II) provide me with an additional level of comfort over cup-and-core technology - and they do - they are well worth the insignificant extra cost.

You say it is a big "if" that a bullet may fail to perform as intended ("properly" in Bob's terminology) yet I've personally seen enough evidence of what I consider failures on the part of cup-and-core bullets that I choose to plan for the worst and work for the best - and that planning most often includes not using cup-and-core bullets.

YMMV (And that's OK by me.)

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/30/16.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
I think there's too many hunting bullets. smile whistle

Fortunately many of them are good and others I wouldn't give two cents for if I could have something else.

The conversations about them get silly after awhile as people try to create scenarios of crowning achievement or catastrophic failure for one or the other. It gets boring after awhile and is counter productive.

Truth is a guy could pick one good one for the 300 Weatherby (since thats the thread topic) and hunt the length and breadth of the continent for anything and never break a sweat...if he can hunt ....and shoot . No mystery. If we're befuddled by it, we need to shoot more BG animals and think about it less.

Of course that's harder,a lot more expensive, and generally takes a lot more time than talking about it on the internet.

I don't care a hoot about target bullets for BG although it makes for interesting reading,and I guess they make sense for stretching envelopes past 600 yards or so but I don't do that stuff and don't really care much about it all. I do enjoy plinking at distance though....it's fun. But if the elk is 900 yards away I don't need him that badly and am content to watch and figure out how to get closer..

I could also care less that others like and use them.If target bullet manufacturers intended their bullets for hunting it would say so on their web sites.

"Accuracy" and bullet placement are of course paramount but if the bullet fails to behave properly after it lands you might have more problems than if you missed completely. After the bullet leaves the barrel you are no longer in control and have been reduced to the status of an active observer but you are responsible for what happens nevertheless.......and the differences in accuracy in the field between your MOA and half MOA bullet are no where near as significant as many make them out to be under 99% of most BG shooting scenarios.

I'm not a big believer in"accidental" designs and unintended consequences but that's just me. OTOH I could care less what anyone else wants to do. I've rarely suffered from "bad bullets" because from early on I refused to use anything that i thought sucked.......my hunting life has been pretty free of strife and doubt as a result smile YMMV.

It's not all that hard is it Bob? wink grin

No George it isn't... smile

Hardly worth the discussion.

Oh...BTW...in that scenario where the elk is running straight away in the timber on the last day and that's the only shot I have....I'm not shooting no matter what i have loaded. They have to give me a better crack than that. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/30/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
"Accuracy" and bullet placement are of course paramount but if the bullet fails to behave properly after it lands you might have more problems than if you missed completely.

That's a big "if," and one that none of the premium bullet proponents seem to have a handle on. No hands-on experience in other words, just so much hot air, like most of this thread.

Bingo!
As it pertains to being a successful elk hunter rifles and bullets are way down the chit that matters list.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Like Bob, I don't give a fig what other people choose.

And like Bob, you post the most long-winded rebuttals when someone else expresses a different point of view; what a coincidence.

Here's another coincidence--the two guys I've known who've killed the most animals and by the way, did it for a living, both shoot (or shot in one case) "target bullets."

But you guys do crack me up. If it really "didn't matter" to you, you wouldn't have extended this inane thread another few pages. And you can insert all the disclaimers you want, but it obviously does matter to both of you--when you go out of your way to post lengthy explanations of the superiority of your own choices you are unavoidably commenting on the choices of others. Especially when you're pointing out the negatives of the other choices, it becomes fairly transparent.

You just choose to go about it in a passive aggressive kind of way.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't care a hoot about target bullets for BG although it makes for interesting reading,and I guess they make sense for stretching envelopes past 600 yards or so.....

Bob, you're confusing accuracy with BC; accuracy is accuracy, regardless of the range.

......and the differences in accuracy in the field between your MOA and half MOA bullet are no where near as significant as many make them out to be under 99% of most BG shooting scenarios.

Depends entirely on what your target is. Sometimes it's an elk's lungs broadside, sometimes it's not.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No I'm not. Thanks.

smoke pole I appreciate all the advice. I really do. Thanks again. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/30/16.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're welcome Bob, you really are.

Anything else you need, just let me know.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BWalker
As it pertains to being a successful elk hunter rifles and bullets are way down the chit that matters list.

They are just the easiest to pontificate on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh...BTW...in that scenario where the elk is running straight away in the timber on the last day and that's the only shot I have....I'm not shooting no matter what i have loaded. They have to give me a better crack than that. smile

Bob -

While I agree if it is a first shot opportunity, and while I have passed on multiple such opportunities in the past, if the elk is wounded or thought to be wounded I'm taking the shot.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And like Bob, you post the most long-winded rebuttals when someone else expresses a different point of view; what a coincidence.

Here's another coincidence--the two guys I've known who've killed the most animals and by the way, did it for a living, both shoot (or shot in one case) "target bullets."

But you guys do crack me up. If it really "didn't matter" to you, you wouldn't have extended this inane thread another few pages. And you can insert all the disclaimers you want, but it obviously does matter to both of you--when you go out of your way to post lengthy explanations of the superiority of your own choices you are unavoidably commenting on the choices of others. Especially when you're pointing out the negatives of the other choices, it becomes fairly transparent.

smokepole -

It really doesn't matter to me what other people do. I have no control over them and don't waste a second worrying about it.

On the other hand, when someone disparages my choices and claims I'm doing something "needlessly", I have no problem defending my choices and providing rational and logical reasons why I feel they are appropriate. If my posts are too long for your taste the only suggestion I have is that you ignore them.

When I go elk hunting I take a lot of equipment that rarely or never gets used. One could easily argue that the effort required to take that equipment (some of which gets carried on my back) is "needless", using the same rationale they use to decide the extra expense for the bullets I use is a "needless" expense and, in the case of North Fork that I am giving up downrange velocity "needlessly".

Most of the extra equipment I take, while rarely used, HAS been needed and at those times I was damn glad to have it. The claims that my choices result in "needless" this or that are prima facia evidence the person making those claims is somewhat akin to an idiot. Only I can decide what is "needless" or not for my purposes.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/30/16.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If my posts are too long for your taste the only suggestion I have is that you ignore them.

Why would I do that? Half the reason I come here is for good advice.

The other half is for entertainment.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

smokepole -

It really doesn't matter to me what other people do. I have no control over them and don't waste a second worrying about it.

On the other hand, when someone disparages my choices and claims I'm doing something "needlessly", I have no problem defending my choices and providing rational and logical reasons why I feel they are appropriate. If my posts are too long for your taste the only suggestion I have is that you ignore them.

When I go elk hunting I take a lot of equipment that rarely or never gets used. One could easily argue that the effort required to take that equipment (some of which gets carried on my back) is "needless", using the same rationale they use to decide the extra expense for the bullets I use is a "needless" expense and, in the case of North Fork that I am giving up downrange velocity "needlessly".

Most of the extra equipment I take, while rarely used, HAS been needed and at those times I was damn glad to have it. The claims that my choices result in "needless" this or that are prima facia evidence the person making those claims is somewhat akin to an idiot. Only I can decide what is "needless" or not for my purposes.

The latest super bullet won't compensate for pumping them in the guts. As you are well aware.
The needless comments are spot on too.

Last edited by BWalker; 05/01/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The latest super bullet won't compensate for pumping them in the guts. As you are well aware.

I don't choose my bullets so I can "pump them in the guts" nor do I choose bullets that I've seen fail in the field.

And, for what it is worth, I'd be willing to bet I spent less per bullet for my stash of North Fork 7mm 140 grain HP bullets than you have spent for Ballistic Tips of any size.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/01/16.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yeah, the 300 H&H. 😀

NRA Benefactor member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I don't choose my bullets so I can "pump them in the guts" nor do I choose bullets that I've seen fail in the field.

And, for what it is worth, I'd be willing to bet I spent less per bullet for my stash of North Fork 7mm 140 grain HP bullets than you have spent for Ballistic Tips of any size.

Do tell where you find NF bullets for less than 12.99/50.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Do tell where you find NF bullets for less than 12.99/50.

Not NF bullets in general, just the 140g HP.
[Linked Image]

Free is always cheaper than not. Started out with a lot more but have these and some loaded 7mm RM and .280 Rem left. There's about 135 in the box.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/03/16. Reason: spelnig

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a better picture of those North Forks. I may have the world's only supply of 7mm 140g HP. (As opposed to the SS version.) With ~135 in the box and loaded 7mm RM and .280 Rem on the shelf, probably considerably more than a lifetime supply.

[Linked Image]

Not a 'brick' and since I got them for free, not very 'spendy' either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool looking bullet......

Gerry.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Laffin...from the CF King of Ankle Biters no less.

Trust me...I could care less what anyone else uses...especially you.

Page 37 of 70 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 2,816 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.