Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Harris Publications Closed on Thursday

After 40 years of publishing Firearm, knife, survival and military magazines Harris Publications closed their doors on Thursday April 28. Rumors have it based on some information from the company it was simply economics.

We have no further information on this closure and in no way are acting on their behalf but wanted to make sure our friends in the media were aware of this-if not.

Shults Media Relations, LLC
greatstuffacsol.net

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Once they are gone, we will probably never get 'em back.

Sorry to hear of this.

Thanks for the info, Rick.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep.

No joy about it here either. I still enjoy a good outdoor mag.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
many more will follow I figure! Read em on line skip all the ads which is about any outdoor mag has anymore. Way overpriced for what there is inside!!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What magazines did they publish?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the times they are a changing

spent many an evening poring over hunting mags, dreaming about where and what I'd hunt

I guess the lil aspiring hunters of tomorrow will be surfing the net for that same info.

my guess is won't be many newspapers left in 10-20 years either

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
In one fell swoop, magazine media's ongoing digital disruption claims another victim.

New York-based enthusiast publisher Harris Publications notified employees today that the company is shutting down, effective immediately, after nearly four decades.

Founded in 1977, Harris published a wide variety of special interest magazines over the years, including newsstand mainstays SLAM, Guitar World, XXL, King, Revolver, and Woman. At the time of its closure, the company's portfolio included Naturally, Danny Seo; Great Backyards; Celebrity Hairstyles; Juicy; Rides; Who's Who in Baseball; and Guns & Weapons, among several others.

"The magazine publishing industry has been through turmoil in the face of the rapid ascendance of digital media, changing consumer content preferences, magazine wholesaler struggles and consolidation in the supply chain," read an official company statement obtained by Folio:. "We have tried mightily to persevere against these forces, but have been unable to overcome these challenges."

The news comes just a month after Harris re-hired longtime publisher Jonathan Rheingold as CRO.

Read the full company statement below:

It is with great sadness that we are announcing the closing of Harris Publications. For nearly 40 years, Harris Publications has been a mainstay in enthusiast publishing.

We are extremely grateful for the tremendous contributions of our employees, past and present. The hard work and dedication of our creative, sales, circulation and operations teams and the talents of our freelance editors, writers, photographers and designers are what allowed us to continue delivering thoughtful and beautiful magazines to our readers.

The magazine publishing industry has been through turmoil in the face of the rapid ascendance of digital media, changing consumer content preferences, magazine wholesaler struggles and consolidation in the supply chain. We have tried mightily to persevere against these forces, but have been unable to overcome these challenges.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I still get Magazines too. I enjoy the very detailed reviews and technical information. I have a good Friend in the Gun Rag Business for one of the other Companies.

Magazines still work when the power goes out. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I never heard of any of those magazines.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm really going to miss kicking back by the fire with the latest issue of Celebrity Hairstyles.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I'm really going to miss kicking back by the fire with the latest issue of Celebrity Hairstyles.

lmao

I still really love Nat'l Geographic and Alaska Magazine, like to hoard them take them to our cabin and devour them

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Guitar World was an alright rag...

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Did they have a 'minimalist' section? That's the only one I could have benefited from....

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
2 big sporting goods stores went under in the last couple weeks. Sport Chalet here in Southern California and Sports Authority based in Colorado... all toll about 500 stores and around 15,000 or more employees I guess.

Computer era has taken a toll on a bunch of folks, had a few relatives that worked for Sports Authority... and now have to try and start all over again.

Phil

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sign of the times, unfortunately. I myself seldom read too many mags nowadays. Still get American Rifleman, but no longer subscribe to any others. Just kinda lost interest.

Still read a lot of books, but after Wifey got me a nook I don't get as many paper page books either. I mostly read in bed and the nook makes it easier and doesn't keep Penny awake. Besides, I'm running out of storage room.

Military Campaign studies or Artillery Gun studies are in book form though. Maps and photos suck on the nook.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

My thoughts exactly....

Guess I'll have to get out my editions with Donald Trump and both Bill and Hillary Clinton....and then there are the editions with the Kardashians in them...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it's sad when a business close their doors. People loose their jobs, no check, no money...........

I hate to think, it's a sign of thew times. I still buy a magazine every now and then from a store while we are shopping for food or other items.

Wishing them better days.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'll definitely miss occasionally perusing Combat Handguns in the grocery store, and once in a blue moon, even buying a copy.

Guns & Weapons For Law Enforcement, Special Weapons For Military & Police, and Tactical Weapons... not so much.

I'll usually flip through and read at least one "article" in at least one of their annuals such as: Gun Buyer’s Guide, Handguns Buyer’s Guide, Complete Book Of Handguns, Gun Annual, or Complete Book Of Guns. They generally provide almost no real meaningful content, and are essentially an advertisement that sometimes makes me aware of something of interest that I didn't previously know existed.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I stopped subscribing to a lot of the outdoor mags years ago.Just seemed to be the same type of stories.I did enjoy reading them,as I can't pay attention long enough to read a novel,the short articles worked for me.
Sux when anyone loses work these days.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Video killed the radio star and the internet killed the magazine and newspapers

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.