Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#11154950 04/30/16
F
Frm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
What is your favorite cut of steak for grilling? A friend was telling me his favorite . . . a corn fed Hereford chuck eye on the grill. In my experience, grass fed tenderloin is outstanding. The steak I look forward to each year is Black Angus in Winner, SD, during pheasant season . . . Now, some one, please, take me to school on this . .

"We've had enough of exhortations to be silent! Cry out with a hundred thousand tongues! I see that the world is rotten because of silence!"
St. Catherine of Sienna
GB1

F
Frm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
OH yeah, what's the best way to grill the steak? Charcoal? Lump coal? Gas grill? Seasonings?

"We've had enough of exhortations to be silent! Cry out with a hundred thousand tongues! I see that the world is rotten because of silence!"
St. Catherine of Sienna
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny how about all you see at the grocery is Black Angus meats. I often wonder who gets to eat the other breeds. Also seems that black baldies, a crossbreed, is always near the top, if not the top in prices at the sale barn, but you never see them mentioned on a package or in advertisement. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Once black ya never go back!!!!!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ribeye is tops...chuck eye is a cheaper alternative,then T Bone/Porterhouse,and bringing up the rear NY strip

Ribeye last night cooked to 125 degrees internal
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ribeye is tops...chuck eye is a cheaper alternative,then T Bone/Porterhouse,and bringing up the rear NY strip

I prefer a good porterhouse. Ribeye is more expensive mainly because of demand, not because it is better. Practicing Jewish people only eat off the front end of a beef. The rear half is not Kosher. miles

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I ain't jewish and a ribeye has more fat and marbling than a porterhouse and it's not demand you can buy which ever cut you prefer.Jews don't eat pork either so no more,ribs and pork butt,screw that noise!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ribeye for me, marinate in teriyaki and add sea salt and coarse ground black pepper before they go on the grill. I grill over charcoal, 5-7 min. to a side depending on thickness. I like to make a sandwich with mine from time to time adding a slice of pepper jack to one side of the bun and a slice of american to the other grilling just till the cheese melt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Frm
OH yeah, what's the best way to grill the steak? Charcoal? Lump coal? Gas grill? Seasonings?

I like an open hard wood fire, burned down to coals. I prefer to finish it in a cast iron skillet, over those same coals, with butter.

Sam......

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
About the only way to totally wreck a good steak is to way over cook it.

As far as breeds of cattle, I was taught years ago, "The difference within breeds is greater than the difference between them."
The way they are fed is most of it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ain't jewish and a ribeye has more fat and marbling than a porterhouse and it's not demand you can buy which ever cut you prefer.

If you think a whole class of people eating one type of steak has no bearing on demand, I can't explain it to you. Eat what you prefer, but what I said will drive the price up some, whether you believe it or not. I like a ribeye but prefer a porterhouse. Each to his own. I eat a lot of sirloin because it is a bargain compared to the other steaks. I also eat a lot of deer steak, and not all of it is backstrap or tenderloin but the cuts off of the ham, with each muscle separated out. miles

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In order, ribeye, flat iron, and chuck eye. All have better flavor than porterhouse and their separated cuts.

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2" thick, 45 day dry aged cowboy ribeye grilled over lump charcoal.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been enjoying some of the leaner, cheaper cuts. Much better beef flavor than a typical prime ribeye.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chuck eyes took a bath in garlic, salt, onion, lemon juice, pepper, olive oil, and a splash of shoyu before getting tossed on a hot grill.

Maybe 4 minutes a side and a quick rest gave a nice light char and yielded medrare steaks.

Fantastic.

Definately cheaper than a rib steak, but not any leaner.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been seeing hanger steak mentioned a lot lately, but do not know exactly what they are speaking of. I think that I might know, but not sure. Any help? miles

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by Frm

I like an open hard wood fire, burned down to coals. I prefer to finish it in a cast iron skillet, over those same coals, with butter.

^^^^This^^^^

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
I have been seeing hanger steak mentioned a lot lately, but do not know exactly what they are speaking of. I think that I might know, but not sure. Any help? miles

Similar to skirt steak, or flank.

Marinade or simple S&P with a bit of oil and cook hot. Don't go past med or it'll likely be fit to resolve your sneakers.

Great piece of beef. One of my favorites.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On the prime rib I order in restaurants usually that smaller part of it is the most tender. The last one I had was tender all the way thru.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage_99
On the prime rib I order in restaurants usually that smaller part of it is the most tender. The last one I had was tender all the way thru.

[Linked Image]

Douche bag chimes in again.

I know you'll toggle it, dumbass.

Sean
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (14idaho, 35, 280shooter, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 701 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.