Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
A friend and I plan to go PD hunting in SD this June, and we both purchased new Ruger American Rimfire rifles in .17 HMR at the same time. We also purchased a total of 6000 rounds of Hornady ammunition with the 17-gr. V-Max bullet.

Both rifles shoot accurately enough, but they both also frequently malfunction. There are frequent failures to extract, requiring the fired case to be pried out of the chamber.

There are also frequent failures to feed from the magazine. This is most common with the 4th, 5th and 6th rounds in a fully loaded 9-round magazine. The bolt will bind when it is still about 1/2 inch short of closing. I am not sure, but I believe this is a problem with cartridges binding in the magazine rather than refusing to enter the chamber.

These problems occur in BOTH rifles. Today I tried some CCI A-17 ammunition and it produced the same problems as with the Hornady ammo in both rifles.

I read many glowing reports about the RAR .17 HMR before we bought these rifles, but these two are turkeys so far. Are others experiencing these problems and is there a fix, short of returning both guns to Ruger?

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 04/23/16.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Did not have feeding problems. Did have extraction issues. No pattern to it. All ammo I tried stuck occasionally. I sent it to Ruger. They claimed there was a problem with the chamber and replaced the gun. I am guessing the headspace was bare minimal or under spec or chamber was tight. My chamber looked good did not look like it was just a case of poorly cut and machine marks. The 17 in general can be a bit erratic with velocities and pressures round to round. So I figure a hotter round expanding more in a tight chamber or incorrectly headspaced chamber equals stuck case.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd send that sucker back why should it be your problem to fix?

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned one for a year now. Never had any of those issues.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
ITs a ruger. LOL.

But seriously, call em and send em back to check em out. Gives Ruger a chance to make it right.

I have no doubt they will. I know plenty of rugers sent back in over the years and not a single one came back not fixed.

OTOH I've never sent any of my Rems in. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
ITs a ruger. LOL.

But seriously, call em and send em back to check em out. Gives Ruger a chance to make it right.

I have no doubt they will. I know plenty of rugers sent back in over the years and not a single one came back not fixed.

OTOH I've never sent any of my Rems in. LOL.

Don't brag too loud. I sent a quite high dollar Remington back due to it shooting patterns at 100 YDS. They put a new barrel on it......

Last edited by k20350; 04/24/16.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I never ever even got close to saying any brand was perfect.

I had a Rem that shot patterns at 100 with Barnes bullets.

But with 63 semi points in 22-250 it shot around 3/4 inch at 100...

I"d be willing to be every brand has a lemon now and then.

I've just seen more ruger issues. And I only own a pair of ruger 22 pistols, a 10-22 and a Ruger #1 that I can think of.... so its not been mine that have been sent in.

The cool thing about Ruger, 15 years ago a buddy got his dads 7 rem mag from him. Looked in the barrel and there was a ring about 4 inches from the muzzle. Gun still shot ok. NO clue how the ring got there but pretty sure not like that from the get go. It was a ranch truck gun so there is no telling but 99.9% probably not a ruger problem. They put a new barrel on for him, I don't recall the cost but it was WAY cheap. I almost want to say for 50 bucks...
You can't beat that for service.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The cool thing about Ruger, 15 years ago a buddy got his dads 7 rem mag from him. Looked in the barrel and there was a ring about 4 inches from the muzzle. Gun still shot ok. NO clue how the ring got there but pretty sure not like that from the get go. It was a ranch truck gun so there is no telling but 99.9% probably not a ruger problem. They put a new barrel on for him, I don't recall the cost but it was WAY cheap. I almost want to say for 50 bucks...

Dang, they charged me $300 for mine. Bulged barrel with factory ammo (150 grain core lokts, as I recall).

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Both rifles are on their way to Ruger. They provided a shipping tag to cover the cost of sending them in. Can't ask for more than that under the circumstances. I will post an update after I get them back and test them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda hard to get mad at a $275 rimfire.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Savage 17 that had some extraction issues, but I think that it was just a bit rough. After smooting the chamber a bit, it functions fine now and is really accurate.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a RAR predator for Christmas, for the first couple hundred rounds it was perfect but lately it started failing to extract. I emailed Ruger and they are sending me a new extractor and spring. They said if that doesn't fix it they'd like to have it sent in to them.

So we'll see. I did find other cases posted around the interwebs.

Ruger seems to be standing behind them though.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green

Dang, they charged me $300 for mine. Bulged barrel with factory ammo (150 grain core lokts, as I recall).

One of the first 700 BDL's I bought had chamber issues. I had to send it back to Remington. When I got it back, I sold it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tried to like 17HMR, but when rimfire costs almost as much as 75 Amax, Amax wins..

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I had the same problem with the extraction. It started with the first shot. Never extracted.
I returned it to Cabela's and they said tough luck, return it to Ruger. I reminded them that they were Riger's agent and dealer and therefore responsible. Cabela's policy is that out the door and it is the buyer's problem even if defective from the first shot. I sued them.
Done with that outfit.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Ruger scrapped both of the original rifles and sent us two new ones, which arrived yesterday. I haven't had time to wring them out on the range yet, but I did put a full magazine through each of them and they functioned 100% with the same ammo that would not feed or extract in the first rifles.

Ruger did fine by us as far as I am concerned. It took about 3 1/2 weeks from the time I sent the bad guns in until the good ones arrived.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RinB
I had the same problem with the extraction. It started with the first shot. Never extracted.
I returned it to Cabela's and they said tough luck, return it to Ruger. I reminded them that they were Riger's agent and dealer and therefore responsible. Cabela's policy is that out the door and it is the buyer's problem even if defective from the first shot. I sued them.
Done with that outfit.

I fail to see why a retailer should be responsible for a manufacturers issue.

How did the lawsuit turn out?

Me, I'd have done the smart simple thing and contacted the manufacturer and sent it back in.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bring a cleaning rod with you to SD. Enjoy your PD hunt.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,932 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.