Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Nothing helps the movement of a morning constitution quite like waking up and finding grizz tracks down a streambed, circled around your tent, and then on down the streambed.....

We woke one morning on the Big Salmon River, and saw exactly that, only it was three tents. The bear walked past all three tents, right through our cooking area, past two grub boxes, and kept right on going.

Three couples, and none of us heard a thing. Probably good that no one did, as there was nary a 7mm Mag in camp!

Ted

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ted -

Please ignore what I posted and have deleted. I made 2 mistakes in reading your post and responding.
I'm sorry for MY misunderstanding. blush

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/26/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Nothing helps the movement of a morning constitution quite like waking up and finding grizz tracks down a streambed, circled around your tent, and then on down the streambed.....

We woke one morning on the Big Salmon River, and saw exactly that, only it was three tents. The bear walked past all three tents, right through our cooking area, past two grub boxes, and kept right on going.

Three couples, and none of us heard a thing. Probably good that no one did, as there was nary a 7mm Mag in camp!

Ted

do you remember the porcupine that i took for a grizzly cub playing with the pans around the camp on Sandie river.... luckily for us i did not have a 7mm mag lol .... still not by the way ...

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
This thread has inspired me to commission a porcupine stopping rifle. Not just a rifle that will "work" mind you, but one which will turn a charge. Of course it will be chambered in the classic porky stomper, the 7mm Remington Magnum.

Stainless synthetic or classic wood, what say you?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would use whichever is more resistant to scratches from flying quills.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I would use whichever is more resistant to scratches from flying quills.

Perhaps a compromise should be considered with what would work best for stopping hoop snakes that are rolling forward in attack as well.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pabucktail
This thread has inspired me to commission a porcupine stopping rifle. Not just a rifle that will "work" mind you, but one which will turn a charge. Of course it will be chambered in the classic porky stomper, the 7mm Remington Magnum.

A Colorado outfitter once told me to bring 140 BT's for my 7 Rem Mag.

He said mid day, when things got slow, they'd glass the tops of the oak brush jungles for porcupines and shoot them. Th fast opening BT's made the quills fly higher.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall
Ted -

Please ignore what I posted and have deleted. I made 2 mistakes in reading your post and responding.
I'm sorry for MY misunderstanding. blush

Jerry

No problem at all, Jerry.

When I am in Little Rock this August, you can drive up and we'll sort it out over a burger and a coke. grin

Ted

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
5sdad,

I was suggesting that shooting a porky with a 7 mag might result in the secondary ballistic effect of flying quills!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pabucktail

Either will work. Just hang a Ruby Eye Wiggler off the front sling swivel to keep their attention, and you will be fine.

[Linked Image]

Important that the hook be barbless and not too sharp.

Ted wink

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
5sdad,

I was suggesting that shooting a porky with a 7 mag might result in the secondary ballistic effect of flying quills!

Ah, I thought that you were poking with a stick the hoary old tale of porcupines throwing their quills and thought that I'd add to the jocularity with another bit of false folklore. grin (As to the secondary ballistic effect of flying quills, a study should probably be undertaken concerning the BC among the quills of porcupines from different areas. grin )

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The really dangerous quills would be from African porcupines, as they're several times the size. But since this is a North American thread, no doubt a little less stock would be necessary.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Yukoner

No problem at all, Jerry.

When I am in Little Rock this August, you can drive up and we'll sort it out over a burger and a coke. grin

Ted

That sounds great and I'd be very happy to meet you. I'd even buy the food.

Thanks

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My late father in law was a lumberjack and hated porcupines with a fervor.
I Handloaded some 85 gr. NOSLER
Solid base for his .243 pump Remington and he loved seeing the quills raining down. He ignored my advice and used them on deer as well.
Worked on broadside lung shots just fine.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The only thing worse than a bear in camp is a wounded bear in camp!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Plus 2 on willingness to pre-order any AK hunting book by Phil.

It must be uh, amusing, for you AK folks who have seen a dozen brown bears shot to attempt honest answers to posts like these. You are generally a patient lot!

The Magnificent Land continues to fascinate armies of 11-year-olds reading Sports Afield with their flashlights, now grown to men. Myself among them.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.