Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Since you guys are very weight conscious and very diligent with what goes afield and what doesn’t, I want to know what most use for cameras? I plan to upgrade my phone soon, still packing an I-phone 4… I know laugh everyone else does too… A new I-phone will give me a better camera to use but those that do not use their phone and use a “real” camera what model are you guys using???

I need to do a better job of taking more photos on my hunts and I promised myself, this fall I would start.

PASS IT ON!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 with 18mp and a 30x optical lense. It's probably heavier than most guys want to carry but it takes great long range photos. To use it at more than 20x, you really need a tripod, though. It's too hard to hold steady otherwise. The Gorillapods work very well and they're lightweight.
There are lots of very good but much lighter cameras out there but they won't have this much zoom.

A high power lens & lots of MP's offer another plus that most guys don't consider. If I see something live on the far hillside, I don't need a spotting scope. I take a pic at 30x, then blow it up on the camera screen. I can get it in for a real close look without having to pack a spotting scope.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Disclaimer: I don't overnight backpack but take a Canon G15 along with me quite a bit and for the size it is great.

Dense item though, not sure what it weighs.

The new smart phones are probably awesome but still haven't used a phone to take a pic in at least 6 years.

Last edited by SamOlson; 05/01/16.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When I pack a camera I pack my Canon SX500 IS, small and lightweight. lately been using my phone and digiscope with my binos and monopod.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Many of the new cameras have GPS ability. If you take a pic, it will identify exactly where it was taken. If you email it or upload the pic to some place like Facebook, readers can read the metadata to get the GPS coordinates.
GPS in a camera does have it's drawbacks. With Panasonic, the GPS will continue to work even when the camera is turned off. That uses power plus if you carry it near another GPS unit in your pack, they can interfere with each other. As a result, I have it turned off on mine.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Recommending a camera depends in large pat what you expect out of photography. For me, My iphone 6 camera is no where near good enough for the results I want.

Anymore, I want a 1" sensor as a minimum, and really prefer a micro four thirds.

I run a Sony RX100 for backpacking and hunting.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most cell phone cameras don't have an optical zoom. It's digital which is done by enlarging the pic and adding pixels between the existing ones. Digital is nowhere near as accurate as optical when the pic is enlarged. It's fine for emailing or facebook but it sucks for printing.

― George Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1minute, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,099
Posts18,464,161
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.