Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
My 45 Colt version that someone unfortunately nickel plated. I've since added the lanyard ring back to it. I've thought about having the nickel removed, we'll see.

[Linked Image]

A 1917 in .45LC would, for me at least, be about as close to perfect in DA revolver form as I think I could get.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very nice!

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Sweet. I've got one just like it, but made by S&W for the Brazilian Armed Forces. Fun to shoot. Don't even need the moon clips, you know. The Colts did, but not the S&Ws. Just need a pencil or something similar to knock them out one at a time.

Is it marked as such on the right side of the frame? If it is, can you photograph the marking and email it to me? I just picked one up that I think was made for the Brazilian military as well in .45 ACP. Just picked it up last week.

The brazilian was the model of 1928 based on the s&w model 1917.
I would have to look at mine but i think it has the brazilian crest on the right side. some came back into the country still blued, others were park"d.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Buddy of mine had a Smith 1917 some years ago. We loaded loaw-stress loads with cast 230 grain RN's for it. We used to trap mushrats together on the Susquehanna River. Coming back down the river in the boat, after checking our traps, we'd take turns lobbing those 230 grainers at rocks and logs and clumps of mud along the high banks of that river....got so we could drop 'em in there with surprising accuracy out at 2 or 3 hundred yards.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Sweet. I've got one just like it, but made by S&W for the Brazilian Armed Forces. Fun to shoot. Don't even need the moon clips, you know. The Colts did, but not the S&Ws. Just need a pencil or something similar to knock them out one at a time.

Is it marked as such on the right side of the frame? If it is, can you photograph the marking and email it to me? I just picked one up that I think was made for the Brazilian military as well in .45 ACP. Just picked it up last week.

I would have to look at mine but i think it has the brazilian crest on the right side. some came back into the country still blued, others were park"d.

Ron,

Believe it they are the Brazilian Model of 1937

Whatever... I wish I could find a decent one around here. Everyone I've seen has been a bit on the rough side.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 05/02/16.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4ager
My 45 Colt version that someone unfortunately nickel plated. I've since added the lanyard ring back to it. I've thought about having the nickel removed, we'll see.

[Linked Image]

A 1917 in .45LC would, for me at least, be about as close to perfect in DA revolver form as I think I could get.

That would be a 1909 New Service and one of my favorite guns. I'll have to dig up my pics.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Found it. On left is an 1892, belonged to my wife's Great Grandfather (US Army and was in the Spanish-American War)in 38LC and shipped to the US Army Arsenal, Ft. Leavenworth. The 1909 in 45 Colt, manufactured in 1911 and shipped to the US Army Depo, Manila in the same year. The 1909 is in exceptionally good shape and all correct:

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
And to think these sold for about $25.00 each back in the 60's when the Postal Service turned them loose.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Found it. On left is an 1892, belonged to my wife's Great Grandfather (US Army and was in the Spanish-American War)in 38LC and shipped to the US Army Arsenal, Ft. Leavenworth. The 1909 in 45 Colt, manufactured in 1911 and shipped to the US Army Depo, Manila in the same year. The 1909 is in exceptionally good shape and all correct:

[Linked Image]

Very nice, Jorge. Those are beautiful.

Am I remebering correctly,that the UNDER performace of the 38 on the stoned Spanish during the Spanish American War brought about the development of the 45 caliber for service?

I seem to remember reading that somehweres over the years.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The 38LC was a problem in the Philippines

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by 4ager

[Linked Image]

4ager, then look for the 1909 Colt. They made lots of them in .45 Colt ctg.

Btw, my 1917 and stuff!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kaywoodie; 05/03/16.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
The 38LC was a problem in the Philippines

^^^^^ This,,,

Also lots of Colt 1878 DA's and 1902 "Phillipine Constabulary" .45's used during the Insurrection too!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will it wasn't the Spanish, it was the Moros during the insurrection. 1873 Colt 45's and trapdoor Springfields were mighty popular because they smacked the daylights out of whoever they hit.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Thanks Steelie, Kay, and ET for making it clear.

Had one of those 45LC Colts on my want list at one time. Always got pushed out of the way for something else i wanted more or came across first.

The get list ebbs and flows.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

Ron,

Believe it they are the Brazilian Model of 1937

Whatever... I wish I could find a decent one around here. Everyone I've seen has been a bit on the rough side.

Jerry

you are right, memory is the second thing to go.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If I had to have an old DA in 45 Colt it would be a New Service, preferably a Target/Shooting Master. The Smiths are nice but wont eat even a 454429 properly as the cylinders are a bit short.

The later 25-5s are wonderful 45 chambered guns and the 45 Anaconda is perhaps the best overall DA platform ever in 45 Colt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WillARights
Originally Posted by jorgeI

[Linked Image]

Very nice, Jorge. Those are beautiful.

Am I remebering correctly,that the UNDER performace of the 38 on the stoned Spanish Philippine Moslems during
the Spanish American War brought about the development of the 45 caliber for service?

I seem to remember reading that somehweres over the years.

As stated by SH, the issue was in the PI. No recorded incidents of doped up troops on any side

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
juramentado = 45 smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a S&W 1917 that some moron had rechambered to .45 Win Mag. It was still in one piece, despite the thin cylinder walls. Whoever did the rechamber job must have lived under a lucky star if he shot it much. I traded it for a Remington 1100 20 gauge skeet gun at Corey's in Littleton, NH, about 30 years ago, but, for some reason, I still have a couple dozen half-moon clips somewhere around.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by HawkI
If I had to have an old DA in 45 Colt it would be a New Service, preferably a Target/Shooting Master. The Smiths are nice but wont eat even a 454429 properly as the cylinders are a bit short.

The later 25-5s are wonderful 45 chambered guns and the 45 Anaconda is perhaps the best overall DA platform ever in 45 Colt.

I have a 4" barrel version lurking around here somewhere. I used to shoot the NEI 454-270-PBK out of it because I could size them to better fit the sloppy factory cylinder throats.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.