Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kenneth Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You guys have my interest up,

I have a Benelli, not drilled or tapped, and I have little desire to D&T these guns, so what are my options for adding a sight,

Red dot or some type of that nature, no interest in a traditional scope.

I'm hearing about tru-glo, speed beads fastfires and others.

how about a quick tutorial on each, that may apply to what I'm looking for, An aiming point on a shotgun for turkeys,

with the caveat that the guns are also used occasionally for trap or sporting clays. I know, that somewhat muddys the water. The point being the sight can't be to permanent, or strictly dedicated to turkey.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kenneth, if you have an extra barrel you can get a barrel mounted sight for the vent rib and leave the sights zeroed on your dedicated turkey barrel. If you mount on a receiver you are going to have to remove it if its in the way for other uses. Of course the guys who use the Speedbeads and Fastfires often use them for those other purposes (waterfowl, etc.)

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No extra barrel for the Benelli's,I have extra barrels for the 870, but thats only 2 3/4" and 28". Not exactly the ideal turkey gun,,,,and blued with wood. Madness!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try looking around at the Old Gobbler forum - there are some real experts over there at mounting FastFires on all types of shotguns - they drill the receiver and one of them sells a special mount that protects the electronic sight. The worse part of putting on and off a shotgun sight is zeroing it on a pattern board - very trial and error using up a lot of expensive shells. Once I have one on there and zeroed I don't want to take it off again.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Every time I go over to OG I end up buying another call, Damn it anyway.

Right now I'm pretty glad D.Halloran hasn't been answering his phone.

Not going there............

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The truglo is all aluminum and clamps to the rib. I've fired 50 rounds without a hiccup. And bright, it looks like they are battery operated. They are fiber optic It's the chit...
I think it's called the deer and turkey extreme .. $50
I'm gonna put them on my other shotguns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Here's what I did for my Ultralight: got a rib mounted, no D&T cantilever picatinney type base from B-Square (see my post here) and depending what model Ben you have all you need is a turkey choke as most will do better than the supplied full choke.

If you go to the Carlsons website you can find a link to choke interchangeability to determine the right one for your model Ben.

As to optic, no contest for me-it's some iteration of a red dot. I have both Trij's and Burris FF lll mounted on various guns and they work well. The Burris with 3MOA dot is on my Ben to be used for the turks.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I don't know which model you have but Burris makes Speed Beads for your brand.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Do you mean what model of Benelli? It's the Ultralight as mentioned above.

I like the latitude of red dot placement with the cantilever mount as I prefer the red dot quite far from my eye.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the truglo gobble stopper and have really liked it. The only time I didn't like it was when I got busted one time and had to shoot in a hurry ona moving bird. Ended up with a dead bird but took multiple shots that I think would have been only one with a bead only.
I think with more practice the site will be easier to use

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Do you mean what model of Benelli? It's the Ultralight as mentioned above.

I like the latitude of red dot placement with the cantilever mount as I prefer the red dot quite far from my eye.

Sorry. The OP.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As tough as turkey hunting is and as much as I think it would be neat I just can't run an optic on a turkey gun.. the potential for batteries running out, brightness setting failure, power button failure , reflective flash, nocking sight off etc just don't add up versus a good two bead system in my opine..

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M1.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
These truglo's, they just affix to the vent rib by screws or such?

Then you sight in with the windage adjustments and so?

you guys using these sights, are you basically turning the gun into a dedicated turkey gun and leaving the sights on full time?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the Williams Firesights, they are like rifle sights and bolt around the rib (one front and one rear); been on there three years and haven't moved. Yes, I made that shotgun my dedicated turkey shotgun.

Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will leave my sight on as long as I plan to use the 870. It had a headache for 2 days after 15 or better shots sighting it in and making sure it wasn't going to move

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Kenneth
M1.

Burris makes a Speed Bead mount for the M1.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Strick9
As tough as turkey hunting is and as much as I think it would be neat I just can't run an optic on a turkey gun.. the potential for batteries running out, brightness setting failure, power button failure , reflective flash, nocking sight off etc just don't add up versus a good two bead system in my opine..

you are over thinking this one. I'm on year 5 with my Burris Fast Fire II without an issue and the same battery that came in the package. The battery was rated for 10,000 hours of use.

NRA Life Member
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Ken, the speed bead mount on your benelli with a fastfire will be the ticket. I'm leaning towards that route I believe as well. I REALLY wish they'd make one for a 20ga tho.

I may have to have a 20ga d&t'd for amount so I can but a fastfire on it. We will see. My eyes aren't getting any better!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been using my FFII on my Ben SBE for at least 6 years. NO PROBLEMS and I love it.

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.