Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Wook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was going to use railroad ties to build a retaining wall to level my side yard.

*Where do I get a drill bit long enough to penetrate a rr tie? What size bit do I use if I'm drilling to drive rebarr through the hole to connect multiple (up to three) rr ties toghether?
*Where do I get rebar and what do I cut the rebar with?
*What do I cut the rr ties with? Will the creosote mess up a chain saw? Should I use a circular saw or sawzall? A handsaw?

Thanks a bunch!!
Btw, rr ties are on sale for $5 each on S. Birchwood next Saturday via the AK RR.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bailey's Rentall on the Old Seward can hook you up with ties anytime for about that...

If you can wait a couple weeks I can loan you a few auger bits long enough for the job. And a HoleHog if you do have an adequate drill motor. Rebar should just barely be driveable with a big hammer...

Cutting them is nasty business...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wook
I was going to use railroad ties to build a retaining wall to level my side yard.

*Where do I get a drill bit long enough to penetrate a rr tie? What size bit do I use if I'm drilling to drive rebarr through the hole to connect multiple (up to three) rr ties toghether?
*What do I cut the rr ties with? Will the creosote mess up a chain saw? Should I use a circular saw or sawzall? A handsaw?

Thanks a bunch!!
Btw, rr ties are on sale for $5 each on S. Birchwood next Saturday via the AK RR.

A sawzall isn't too terrible for cutting rebar, fresh blade and a vise, but of course that shear they make for the job is better, in a teeth rattling kind of way.

I've cut RR ties with a chain saw. It's very hard on the bar and chain and is nasty and toxic to boot. I'd advise minimizing the cutting however possible.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You need one of these.

Irwin Industrial Tools 49912 I-100 3/4-Inch Auger Bit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004YO6T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_qx3jxb53KG04C

Or these

MILWAUKEE ELEC TOOL 48-25-1752 1-3/4" Self Feed Bit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F6SZW4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_5A3jxbGRCATXZ

***If you go this route, you will need a bit extension.

And one of these or similar

Milwaukee 1675-6 Hole Hawg 7.5 Amp 1/2-Inch Joist and Stud Drill (case not included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004T16M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_2C3jxb7ZHYXD6

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by Wook

Thanks a bunch!!

A sawzall isn't too terrible for cutting rebar, fresh blade and a vise, but of course that shear they make for the job is better, in a teeth rattling kind of way.

I've cut RR ties with a chain saw. It's very hard on the bar and chain and is nasty and toxic to boot. I'd advise minimizing the cutting however possible.

Toxic?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Creosote.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure how big of rebar we are talking, but for smaller a Hand grinder and a metal cutting blade will work fine. Harbor freight has cheap ones that I use a lot, and they do a good job even on harder steel. Use eye protection. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by milespatton
Not sure how big of rebar we are talking, but for smaller a Hand grinder and a metal cutting blade will work fine. Harbor freight has cheap ones that I use a lot, and they do a good job even on harder steel. Use eye protection. miles

That's how I do it, too.

As to drilling the holes, I have some old, long auger bits for the hand augers that I just chuck up in a 1/2" hammer drill and go to town. A 3/4" hole for 3/4" rebar. Add sledgehammer, sweat, and eye protection.

I have never cut RR ties, so I have no idea whether a chainsaw would be appropriate or not.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
Creosote.

I figured, been around it all my life in power poles and the like. Cut power poles all the time with chainsaw.

Have never cut a RR tie that I can recall though. But I believe them to be of oak so wood would be harder.

I wouldn't call having to cut a creosote post toxic though... at least IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by smokepole
Creosote.

I wouldn't call having to cut a creosote post toxic though... at least IMHO.

They know things in California that regular mortals don't. wink laugh

Cutting them? Stihl chainsaws are not always the best choice....not when you can grab a Poulan for $90 off Amazon and not worry about fouling stuff up with creosote and grit.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have never cut a RR tie that I can recall though. But I believe them to be of oak so wood would be harder.

Lots of them, in fact most here are made of Sweet Gum. It is hard when dry though. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have both a metal cutting and a wood cutting blade then you can use the same machine to cut the ties and the rebar.

[Linked Image]

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 6mm250
If you have both a metal cutting and a wood cutting blade then you can use the same machine to cut the ties and the rebar.

[Linked Image]

Mike

Pedal Powered Power Hacksaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's awesome.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

About what I figured, nothing to worry about.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used plenty of ties to build retaining walls and deck or shed foundations. Cutting them with a chainsaw has never been a problem.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by akpls
I have used plenty of ties to build retaining walls and deck or shed foundations. Cutting them with a chainsaw has never been a problem.

This^^

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rost495

About what I figured, nothing to worry about.

Basically. Where it's a problem is large-scale wood treatment operations with soil and groundwater contamination. Kind of like gasoline. You can work around it, spill it on yourself, or wash your hands with it but you don't want to live next door to a leaking tank of you have a well.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never did much with it without work gloves on, it'll burn your skin eventually so we just worked a hair smarter around it. Saved splinters too mostly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chain saw is the way to go. I have built retaining walls up to 5 feet tall using used railroad ties. Watch out for embedded stones in the creosote especially on the ends and in any cracks. It's tough on chains and resharpening or replacement chains are needed. A cutoff blade on a 4 inch grinder works well for cutting rebar to length. I used 1/2 inch rebar with 2 foot 1/2 inch wide spade bit. You can go smaller on the size of rebar and spade bit. Spade bit needs to be sharpened occasionally also. I used what I had on hand. Keep the chain saw bar well oiled. Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.