Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
And I'm REALLY happy with it!

I've been thinking about doing a post on this deer since last November. I don't mind posting pics of my kids, but I'm hesitant to post my own pics because I don't want to seem like I'm bragging or anything. I decided to post this because I just wanted to say thanks for the positive comments and help that have made this deer my most memorable animal.

A few years ago I got on here and made a post called "Whitetail Whining". In the post I complained that I couldn't get a whitetail buck and how frustrated I was with a degenerative eye disease I have that makes things really challenging.

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to, or even want to keep hunting after the whining post. Several guys here shared words of encouragement. Burleyboy helped my oldest get his first deer (I am unable to drive, walk through the woods without being led, spot game, etc.).) He also drove me around to look for powder and primer. Thaks again Burleyboy!

BCJR, who I didn't even know at the time, read my post and flew down from Alaaka and took me hunting. After a few days he put me on a good buck, out in the open during broad daylight, and I still couldn't see it. The idea that someone would go so far out of there way and donate so much time, effort, and money to help a stranger is amazing.

After I messed up that chance I thought again it was time to stop hunting, but I really wanted a buck. (Mainly, I just want to keep hunting as long as I can!)

2014 I moved to SW MT and was a non-res and couldn't hunt bucks. Last year I decided to keep trying. Since my original post my eyes have gotten even worse, so it was a challenging hunting season! (Blind in the lrfteye, 2% of my vision in right. It's like looking through a very tiny, purply straw. I have NO night vision and black out a lot from big "floaters" covering up the tiny bit of live retina.) Needless to say, when I hunt it's only because I'm with someone very patient!

My brother drove over from Spokane. We hunted for three and a half days and the last morning I passed on this buck, two fork horns, and blew a shot on a big 10 point because I couldn't see him in time. (Again!)

To summarize this too long story, I went back to the field where we'd seen this buck. This buck is 25 days of hunting this year. (It would have been three with a little better vision.)

My wife, for years now, would drive me out to the stand after work. Friends took me out. My kids would go with me a lot. My mom would drop me off early. Many people have helped me, and I just wanted to say, "Thank you" for this deer.

This deer means a lot to me, and I appreciate it. I am often amazed at the caliber of people I've meet who share my love of the hunt.

[Linked Image]

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Awesome! Glad you were able to get it done! Still feel bad we didn't get that one that day , but you stuck with it , that's a trophy as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by BCJR; 05/02/16. Reason: I suck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hoping the eyes stabilize and you get out this fall again. Lot of fun chasing whitetails around.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Congrats, well done!

Sometimes its not the size of anything, but the fact you got something!!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is awesome. Far more important than any deer is Boone-&-Crockett-class friends and family - and it seems you've got that in spades.

Nice buck, and I salute you and your drive to get it done and all the luck in the world on your future hunts.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
ID: Good for you! Well done!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Congrats on one heck of a trophy!

I know a lot of guys who have spent a lifetime chasing whitetail and never killed a buck that size.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane
This is awesome. Far more important than any deer is Boone-&-Crockett-class friends and family - and it seems you've got that in spades.

Nice buck, and I salute you and your drive to get it done and all the luck in the world on your future hunts.

Could not have said it better. Congratulations!

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome. I'm in awe of your tenacity.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

=1!. And great story. Thanks for sharing

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
ID -

I'm so very sorry for your handicap. I ADMIRE your determination. It is indeed victory for you to GO. The buck is icing on the cake.

I applaud your family & friends that help you out.

Keep it up and may your vision stabilize OR improve.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You have both my respect and congratulations. I admire your persistence and resolve to overcome the obstacles laid in your path in life and go out and Get-R-Dun. Thank you not only for your post, but for the reminder to enjoy life no matter what it throws at you. Well done!

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on a nice buck and an inspiring story. Some of the most memorable deer are not always the ones with the biggest racks. They are the ones you really had to work for or are a composite of a lot of different factors and experiences that went into a particular hunt. I've gotten a very few really big racks in my life but some of my most memorable hunts involve a doe or a small fork horn and how I got them. That's where some of my fondest hunting memories are. You surely put in the time, effort, and persistence on this one and I'm glad it paid off for you. Now that you've written your story down, keep it always. I've known old timers who chronicled some of their most memorable hunting experiences and 30 or 40 years later they could re-read them and then recall everything about that day. Otherwise, they say you forget a lot of the small details that go into the entire story. So even if your brain gets fuzzy in old age you can still relive some great experiences.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A Trophy is in the hunt and memories, not the size of the animal.

Keep at what you love, and kudos to your tenacity.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A greater trophy never graced 24HR! Thanks for posting.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats! I stand in awe of your determination.

All the best to you.

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations!! That is the best by far hunting story that I have ever read in my life.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Agree 100%. You're the man ID, a hearty congrats from West Texas to you sir!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive got good eyes, and Ive killed a large bunch of whitetails...most were that size or smaller...a very few were bigger and not by much....

but none were as important as that one you pictured.

Mucho congrats!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Outstanding. Just outstanding. That's special stuff, right there.

Congratulations! There is no better feeling than when tenacity and persistence pay off, particularly when there are circumstances working against success. A salute to you and the folks who went out of their way to help you. Great people, all!

Thanks for sharing the story, and have no fear, it was far from too long.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
A greater trophy never graced 24HR! Thanks for posting.

Well Said I completely agree. Well done Sir that is a fine Trophy.

Charles

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You are the definition of what it is to be a hunter.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Atta boy....and congratulations!!! Keep getting out there all that you can.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by battue
You are the definition of what it is to be a hunter.

S A L U T E'. --ID, Couldn't agree any more.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This is the OP.

Thanks for all the positive comments and sharing in my good fortune.

Again, I'm just the trigger guy who is too dumb to stop when I should. The people who helped are the the ones deserving of any credit.

Thanks again.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big congrats!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
A
aus Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Hi IDmilton, your spirit and drive is amazing mate. Congrats on getting your buck.
Huge respect also to BCJR, Burleyboy and others that have helped you out. Very inspiring!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations! That is a fine, fine buck.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Well done!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Holy Hell, that is a better trophy than I could imagine ever getting.

Not to mention, that's a really cool looking rack! A HUGE congrats to you and your patients!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats! Should I be faced with a similar situation, I hope I can face it with the grit and grace you did. Well done.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
This story actually put my hunting into an entirely different perspective.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D

This 100x...congrats to you and may you lots of success in the future.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Can do attitude ,Hats off to you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
This story actually put my hunting into an entirely different perspective.

+1 to what Tzone said - And a big congrats to you on taking a fine buck. Wishing for many more seasons of hunting for you!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sorry about your eye condition but a big congrats to you on an awesome trophy! Great story too!

P.S. Don't ever be afraid to post pics of yourself and your game. It's not bragging. You're just showing your buddies something you're very proud of.

Rooster

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Awesome buck and awesome story!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.....

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads on a Dandy Buck!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Great story. Congrats.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wonderful story! I'm happy and proud of every deer I take. The size of the antlers has nothing to do with the size of the trophy.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Now that is the best trophy deer story I have heard. It brings to mind a quote fromGene Hill the best deer you'll ever. take is your first one the second best is the one you help someone else get. Congratulations to. Everyone involved.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Us folks here understand effort and attitude.

Outsiders may not.

They do not matter.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
IDMilton,

Congratulations on a fine deer- you have more to be proud of with that deer than most hunters do with a B&C deer!!! Your tenacity as spoken about before is a testament that if there's a will, there's a way, and I'll think of you and your deer whenever I get frustrated when things aren't going my way in the deer woods! Thanks very much for sharing!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm certainly glad I found and read this story - congratulations to you on taking your buck. You must be a good man to have so many friends and family wanting to assist you!

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,365
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.