Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is that one of the original classics?

otherwise why am I expecting to see a featherweight stock on that rifle?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winchester first chambered the WSM's in their LH "Featherweight" model but then started to chamber them in the regular LT models as well. I forget the exact dates but IIRC it was only for the last couple of years before USRAC went belly up.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Their were two runs of left handed model 70's first run were low 6 digits the second run all 7 digits.. It seems most of the second run were chambered in the WSM's..
I seen more featherweight lefties than the standard lefty model the op has posted for sale..

Last edited by 79S; 05/01/16.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I had two just like that. One in 300 WSM and one in 7mm WSM. Decent guns, probably better quality than the older long action LH 70s (at least not as many known problems.) The local Gander Mountain had those on closeout at that time. Both were the standard version. I remember calling another one of their stores and they had a Featherweight LH, but I never checked it out.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KenMi
I had two just like that. One in 300 WSM and one in 7mm WSM. Decent guns, probably better quality than the older long action LH 70s (at least not as many known problems.) The local Gander Mountain had those on closeout at that time. Both were the standard version. I remember calling another one of their stores and they had a Featherweight LH, but I never checked it out.

The first run of Lh model 70's were all made on brand new CNC machinery, designed to make the Lh Model 70's. They are considered some of the best model 70's ever made the tolerances on them were phenominal. The only problem with early run classics are the extractors Winchester improved that later into the run by using Williams extractors if I remember right. The later 7 digits i.e. The rh model 70'were plagues with problems bad barrels being the #1 culprit. Did the 7 digit lh model 70's fall into this as well. I have no idea not much written in the late run lh model 70's.

Last edited by 79S; 05/02/16.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Where can I find a LH 06 CF extractor blued rifle mine will slip off case sometimes. In stock and available please. Thanks Kurt

My LH 06 is 6 digit dont care for 2 piece floor plate. LH 300 WSM is 7 digit.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
it looks like Williams still makes them, although apparently only in stainless. They also make one piece bottom metal but it isn't exactly cheap.

http://www.williamsfirearms.com/m70-extractor.html

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 79S

The first run of Lh model 70's were all made on brand new CNC machinery, designed to make the Lh Model 70's. They are considered some of the best model 70's ever made the tolerances on them were phenominal. The only problem with early run classics are the extractors Winchester improved that later into the run by using Williams extractors if I remember right. The later 7 digits i.e. The rh model 70'were plagues with problems bad barrels being the #1 culprit. Did the 7 digit lh model 70's fall into this as well. I have no idea not much written in the late run lh model 70's.

May very well be true, but when the 4 scope base holes on the action do not line up with the centerline of the rifle, I really would question the quality of the machining. It was a very common problem. So much so, that windage adjustable bases had to be used, to compensate for the skewed holes. Maybe it was just a glitch, but not really much excuse for that from a major manufacturer.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

May very well be true, but when the 4 scope base holes on the action do not line up with the centerline of the rifle, I really would question the quality of the machining. It was a very common problem. So much so, that windage adjustable bases had to be used, to compensate for the skewed holes. Maybe it was just a glitch, but not really much excuse for that from a major manufacturer.

As far as tolerances I'm referring to straightness of the action itself.. As far as scope base holes I would point at the person running the machine doing that.. As far as common problem I never heard of it now their are guys out their that tighten scopes screws using thier monkey strength and strip them out.. I do have one of the first run lh model 70's in a 270 I have had no issues.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S

.. As far as common problem I never heard of it

It's only a common problem when KenMI is around, he brings it up every single time Winchesters are mentioned. I believe he may have had an issue at one time, But most others didn't,

If anyone has any more of these 'commom problem' leftys laying around, let me know, I'll buy them.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Or only a non existent problem if you refuse to accept it and don't do a simple google search. Some even claim the issue is was also the barrels being out of center.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/misaligned-scope-mounting-holes-138724/index2.html

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-797196.html

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/gunsmithing/filling-redrilling-taping-scope-base-holes-170559/

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=11761370

Or, if reports on forums can't be trusted, call Talley. They were well aware of the problem, because their scope mounts could not be used on some of these guns that were so skewed, unless the scope had a 10 foot windage adjustment range

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're first link is about Remington's, and I won't bother to read the others, You have a hard-on for Winchester, that's well known.

and the fact that a manufacturer may have had a few defects during production, surprise surprise.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If you would have actually read the first link PAGE 2, you would have quickly learned about one where the screw holes were correct, but the barrel was 45 MOA off centerline.

But, if you choose to be Pollyanna about Winchester, that is fine.

I don't think there is one gun company that hasn't had a major blunder somewhere along the line. I'm not slamming them in particular. But to some I guess they have to be presented a flawless, much like the hardcore Browning followers.

Last edited by KenMi; 05/04/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A for-sale ad, on the Campfire,

about a Winchester,

an alleged issue with a different firearm is brought up,

which leads to a link on a different website,

that link pertains to a thread about Remington's,

and somewhere on page 2 of the Remington thread,

a Winchester barrel is mentioned.

GFG.

Free bump. I'd buy it myself if I didn't have it's identical twin.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Kenneth, thanks. I think I will have to start a new post since this one has been hijacked.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Kenneth
A for-sale ad, on the Campfire,

about a Winchester,

an alleged issue with a different firearm is brought up,

which leads to a link on a different website,

that link pertains to a thread about Remington's,

and somewhere on page 2 of the Remington thread,

a Winchester barrel is mentioned.

GFG.

Free bump. I'd buy it myself if I didn't have it's identical twin.

So why isn't it's twin a featherweight either, then?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 338Rules, 16penny, 13 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 770 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,235
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.