Print Thread
Hop To
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Has anyone used these? Thoughts? By the way, I'm just talking about projectiles; not loaded ammunition.

Last edited by RevMike; 05/02/16. Reason: Clarification

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
My thoughts,buy a box and try them on hogs. Then let us know how they do. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Rev, I bought a couple or three hundred of the 173 grain Hirtenbergers for a 7x57 project. It didn't work out, but I doubt that was because of the bullets.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Rev, I bought a couple or three hundred of the 173 grain Hirtenbergers for a 7x57 project. It didn't work out, but I doubt that was because of the bullets.

Since Hornady 175 grain Interlocks seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth, I thought they might make a decent substitute.

And yes, Elk, that's my test medium. grin

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Well the price certainly seemed right on them, and they turned out to be great looking bullets. Not exactly a RN, but definitely no spitzer either.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Grafs has them for $20 per hundred. If nothing else, I could load them with a bit of 5744 for practice loads.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yes, I'm pretty sure I bought mine from Graf's.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Since Hornady 175 grain Interlocks seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth, I thought they might make a decent substitute.

And yes, Elk, that's my test medium. grin
wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In the best of campfire tradition I will comment on a completely different bullet the 120 grain 6.5mm Hirtenberger bullet.

My curiosity was piqued so I sectioned one. What I found was a fairly thin only slightly tapered jacket. The core dropped out of the jacket too. I really wanted to like these and was all set to use them for Deer and Hogs. But with the light construction I will relegate them to practice and load work up. The 173 gr. 7mm I would suspect has heavier construction.

Uniformity was good as to weight and diameter. Haven't shot them yet for accuracy but they seem to be a quality product.

In comparison the PPU 139 gr. 6.5s were much more like a Rem. Core loct in jacket construction. Well tapered with a thicker base and a cannelure to help hold it together. These are less uniform but will get used on game with confidence. Hogs will hate them.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
They might be designed for smaller European "big game" like roebuck and chamois. I know another Euro ammo company makes a lightly constructed bullet primarily for shooting roebuck on small estates where any deer has to be dropped quickly, because if it runs across the property boundary it legally belongs to the other landowner.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I defer to Mr Barsness for confirmation...

I bought a batch of 6.5 mm partitions that were a 105 grain Semi Spitzer from Shooters Pro Shop a number of years ago...

the price was sorta cheap, because of the weight and being SMP types, they weren't moving so the price was dropped big time...

I bought them while at Shooters Pro Shop over in Bend....

Because they were odd, the counter person told me that they were blem or overruns for a contract with Hirtenberger in Germany... at the time, he told me Nosler did a lot of contract work for them, Norma and a few other European ammo manufacturing companies....

As Joel/Crimson Tide Described above, they weren't round nose, nor where they were Spitzers...profile should have been SMP ( Semi Pointed), like the Nosler 160 grain in 270 and the 220 grain SMP in 30 caliber... both partitions...

the SMP was the original design on a lot of the earlier generation partitions according to my Nosler Number 1 Manual...

I like it and wish they were still available... but everyone seems to want a bullet that is flat shooting as possible to the longest distance as possible, so they shoot a deer at 100 yds or less....

personally I think the SMP design has a better on game performance than the spitzer version of the Partition...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
They might be designed for smaller European "big game" like roebuck and chamois.

Yes and they would probably do fine on Hill Country whitetail too. I will need to test them more to have confidence. I understand they are also used for Capercaillie and Black Cock so equivalent to a Scandinavian Turkey round. The 120's that is.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (12344mag, 338rcm, 1eyedmule, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 12 invisible), 1,382 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,278
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.