Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Is there a optimal barrel length to get the velocity out of 2 oz 12 ga turkey loads?

The deal is I use a 28" barreled BPS and the length is a bit much and would like a shorter barrel.

I have a cut down 18" barrel ($50 found hereon the fire) that I may have threaded and use that. I noticed most turkey barrels run about 22" and don't know if its for velocity optimization or pure marketing.

Thoughts guys?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Scroll all the way down this page to the bottom for some actual chronographed data...

http://www.guncustomizing.com/tech.htm

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Good chart... they stop at 22 inch, but you can see a pattern. Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Legions of men and a substantial number of bitey/stompy/scratchy things have succumbed to a suitable payload from an 18" 12 gauge. I suspect you can kill a turkey with one just fine.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've never missed with my long barreled gun...
short barrel cuts down the sight radius a bunch...

Are you more prone to miss with a short barrel?

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Hum, I like 870's and have quite a few. To answere your question , I bought a special field 12, quite a few years ago. It has a 21" tube. I like it an have used it on quite a number of turkey . It kills well, but I do feel it is easier to miss a gobbler with it than my longer barreled shotguns.. It has no special sights as I use it for quail and grouse.. That might eliminate that problem!

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The turkey will never know the diff

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks guys. Browning has some extended chokes that I may look at.

I found a new browning barrel with sights and deer and rifled slug barrel for $280 that I may contemplate buying.

New idea to contemplate:

A duck hunter friend, but non-turkey hunter, suggested I use my citori 725. Its about 4 inches shorter, and gives 2 choke selection for long and close shots. I've never patterned it for turkey, but the idea has a little merit.

Anyone use O/Us for turkey?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by passport
.....Amen to that. Just shoot at some paper with it first to see how well it throws a pattern.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Originally Posted by passport
.....Amen to that. Just shoot at some paper with it first to see how well it throws a pattern.

The 18 inch barrel was a cut off and its probably cylinder bore. I would have to invest in threading it for choke tubes before I run that test.

I wanted to see if there is a technical reason for not seeing turkey barrels below 22" in terms of velocity before investing in that experiment.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Just talked to a bigger gunsmith outfit looking for a shorter barrel and ran the idea of threading a choke tube across the guy.

He said there are size requirements and you cant cut too many inches down before you have issues. I suspect there is a gradual taper down to the choke tube and being way out in the straight cyl bore section of the barrel may not allow a good tube choke. Probably would have a step at the choke tube.

Its looking like I'm on the hunt for a proper length barrel or BPS special or different gun if its that important to me. Never had issues with the 28 inch other than a person wants to tweak the gun a bit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you might have an issue with a backbored barrel cut short - might be too wide for threading.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd get a second opinion on the choke installation . Here's Brownell's take on bore diameters etc.

Before accepting a barrel for machining to accept screw-in chokes, you must measure the outside diameter (O.D.) to determine
if there will be sufficient wall thickness after machining. “Mike” the O.D. of the barrel and the O.D. of the tap for the particular
gauge.

Subtract the O.D. of the tap from that of the barrel, divide by 2, and this will give the wall thickness after machining,
providing the O.D. of the barrel is concentric with the inside diameter (I.D.). A sample calculation appears below.
Barrel O.D. (12 Gauge) .850"
Tap O.D. (12 Gauge) Win-Choke™ – .814"
.036" ÷ 2 = . 018" Wall Thickness

We DO NOT recommend installations in barrels where the resultant wall thickness will be less than .015", providing the I.D. of
the barrel is concentric with the O.D. If the I.D. is not concentric with the O.D., you will have to make your own decision as to
whether the installation will be safe.

In addition, you CANNOT install screw-in chokes in barrels whose inside diameters (I.D.)
exceed the following dimensions:

10 ga. - .780";
12 ga. - .735";
12 ga. Thinwall - .728";
16 ga. - .666";
20 ga. - .624".

Exceeding these dimensions WILL CAUSE DAMAGED CHOKE TUBES and there is a GREAT POSSIBILITY OF CAUSING A BARREL BLOW-OUT! Check EVERY installation before firing to make sure the tube does not protrude into the bore. Back-bored or jug-choked barrels
are usually NOT suitable for screw-in choke installation.

http://www.brownells.com/UserDocs/Miscellaneous/Screwinchokeinstallation.pdf

Another solution for a shortened barrel is to Poly Choke it. These were common in my youth and they work as advertised. IMO they probably throw more consistent patterns than your typical factory-produced screw-in tube.

http://polychokes.com/

I kind of in the same boat you are Humdinger. I've got a sweet old Browning Light 12 and I'd like to have a shorter barrel for it. But I want that short barrel to have some choke. The 28" vent rib barrel on it shoots so good I'll never chop it... so I'm at the mercy of the Barrel Ferengis. If I can find a beater under $150 I'll bob it at 20" & probably just have it polychoked.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have turkey hunted with 30", 28", 26", 24" and 18.5" barreled shotguns. I've decided the 24" is the sweet spot for me and 26" is knocking close behind. I didn't care for the stubby barrel at all. The long tom barrels bother me less than the shorty does. Right in the middle at 24" - 26" just does it all for me perfectly.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MOGC
I have turkey hunted with 30", 28", 26", 24" and 18.5" barreled shotguns. I've decided the 24" is the sweet spot for me and 26" is knocking close behind. I didn't care for the stubby barrel at all. The long tom barrels bother me less than the shorty does. Right in the middle at 24" - 26" just does it all for me perfectly.

Hmm... I was going to compare my citori against the other options.

Theres a decent looking used mossberg 535 turkey & bird camo combo on a gun store that I may contemplate. The advantage is it would have a drilled & tapped receiver for the day I would consider an optic. Dont want one now because it seems so simple to to put the barrel up and pull the trigger and not worry about lining things up. Maybe older turkey hunters who have gone to optics can offer an opinion.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've always thought an O/U would make a great turkey gun. With something like a light modified choke in the bottom and full/xtra-full on top it would seem to be a neat rig.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I almost bought a plastic stocked cynergy to be my everything gun for ducks, grouse, and turkey but I wanted a conventional looking gun for trap shooting.

The 725 has better designed choke tubes and I need to pattern them to see if that's my new turkey gun.

I think I am just convincing myself to buy a new shot gun at times...

because after 7 turkey seasons and 6 toms under my belt, I can officially call myself a turkey hunter and justify a special gun!

My options are:
Buy a extra full choke, install studs, and paint the 28" BPS...for $30
Buy a choke tube for the 725 and camo wrap for $75
Buy a turkey & deer barrel for $280 for the BPS
Buy the used mossberg 535 for $340 and have a optics ready gun for my older years...

I think I need to control my gun buying ways and modify the BPS or try the 725. Its hard when you get a gun buying itch in your head...

Next question:
Do you guys camo paint your turkey guns?

My BPS is beat up, but still shiny and I put a little camo tape on the barrel receiver & butt stock. Has anyone ever seen a turkey flare due that black shiny barrel being moved? I've been busted just sliding my camo gloved hand on the gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You need this and a couple of cans or Rustoleum wink

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/condor-outback-shotgun

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Now dont be giving me ideas to contemplate! ;-)

I'm struggling with do I modify or possibly abandon my tried and true turkey terminator for a something that works in my blind better....

Or just buy a bigger blind!

"Moses" has been a trusted battle partner so I shouldn't leave him in the armory.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just put a 21" barrel on my M1 benelli Monday. It's wonderful. I can carry it on a sling upside down without worrying about the barrel hitting the ground and getting stopped up with soil when I have to squat or bend down to go under low limbs. Very handy indeed.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

555 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 257 roberts, 62 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,851
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.