Print Thread
Hop To
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My daughter and I are headed out to chase WI birds tomorrow morning. We're hunting a farm in east central WI. She's after her first bird. She made an attempt last season but there was a bit too much commotion and the tom busted us and wouldn't come in closer than 60 yards.

Any bird is a trophy for us and we won't be picky. It's teaching her to hunt and we get to spend a rare few days together without her brother.

He loves to hunt as well but is on a pretty competitive baseball team and decided that commitment should be filled first. I'm not sure how that's going to work since he's my lucky charm. I gave him the choice and I'm proud of the one he made. He's itching to go though, so we'll see what he does next year.

Hopefully and update to follow this weekend!

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck to Yall

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well we come home successful. Sleeping beauty decided 330 am start time were too much too many days in a row. She picked wrong.

I called a big one in from a 40 away. He gobbled every once in a while but once he committed, he came in quick. Probably 15 minuets once I got him going.

The ladies were his down fall, like many of us. He strutted his way in, in the woods, then spotted the hens in the pasture I was set up in. He popped out of the woods 80 yds out and put on show for a few minuets.

I ranged him at 76 yds and when I put the range finder down, I got busted. The ladies got nervous and started to make their way exit stage right. He strutted closer yet to where they went in the woods which I guessed was about 20 yards closer to me than when I ranged him. I gave him a few clucks to stop him. When he stopped, I shot, and he flopped. 55 yds from the tom to my seat cushion.

It was rainy/windy so I took my 12ga M2, 24" bbl, loaded with 3" mag-blend. It worked to perfection.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Heck yeah! I got one yesterday morning at about 8:30. He spooked and I shot him on the wing at about 30 yards. He tried to leave in a hurry,,, nope not today big boy...

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations on the WI and TN birds gents! The great thing about hunting turkeys to me is that every bird is different, each hunt is different, and exciting too. Sounds like you gents had some good hunts.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B2

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Every bird is different. They're fun, they act different depending on how the mosquitoes are in the morning. We had one that would gobble at every sound in the middle of the day except a hen yelp! Go figure?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 8 invisible), 1,578 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,563
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.