24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know that 243 big fresh bear track feeling.
30 some years ago hunting back country of Idaho with a 243, I came on a very fresh bear track about the size of a paper plate that had these huge claws.
I was the only human that I knew of for about mile, and that 243 sure felt smaller all of a sudden.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
I Sure Wish I'd bought one of those .357 Max/20 ga. Camper Specials back in the day...

I don't know that I've ever seen a 24VS in the flesh or even an original 24V in 357 Max.

I would happily settle for a .357 Mag over 20 gauge.

This is an original 24V in .357 MAX over 20. I also have a .357 MAG over 20. I have never seen a 24VS in .357 MAX in the flesh either.
[Linked Image]

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by savage24
Originally Posted by BobWills

It has been a lesson to me how a cheap, boys rifle that we once could buy at any Sears & Roebuck, Western Auto, Auto-Lec, or Montgomery Ward store and many local hardware stores for under a hundred dollars has become an object to collect. Those guns were and are cheap, but as soon as Savage quit making them, the collectors all got dollar signs in their eyes and bought them up. They are not going to use them and they are preventing those of us who would use them from doing that.

I tell you fellas, things have gone down hill since Elvis died.

Damned collectors, anyway!

[Linked Image]

Yup, another damn collector, own a few 24's myself.
[Linked Image]

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So that's where they all are!!! WOW! That is some collection.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
To revive an old thread, I may be about to take the plunge on a 24V.

Saw an ad in the little paper that comes out Thursday and called today to see if was still available. Gentleman says yes, a few callers but nobody really seemed terribly interested. A few didn't even really know what he was selling.

His is in 222/20. I wish I has such a critter a few months back while rabbit hunting as I took a break to sit on a stump and Mr Wiley showed up. Just traipsing down a slight rise straight toward me. All I had was my 870 express in 20g with #6 small game loads. I made the mistake of trying to quietly get my phone out to take a pic if he happened to come close enough for one of those without getting in range of the #6's. He heard me at what I later paced off to 69 paces, stopped and looked at me for a bit, didn't like what he saw and took off at a lope. Worse part might have been that he was in prime winter coat and was a big dog too. I have a feeling the .222 would have dropped him at 69 yards.

So folks, is $475 a decent price for a 24V with a 4xLeupold on it? He says it's in good shape, not excellent, just "good". First I'm available to go look at it is on Tues. DO I call him back with a firm yes? He's even willing to drive an hour or so to split the distance.

Thanks for all the great info on this thread too.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a OK deal to me unless the gun is trashed.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
tt

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Bob,

I took leave of the "Campfire" a couple of years ago. Only reason I came back was because I heard about the passing of a friend of mine. But after reading this entire thread, I may have to come back more often. smile

I quite agree with your sentiment on the ways of the present that we now live in. I grew up on a farm and then moved to Tn when I was a teenager for a few years.

It would be too long a story to put into words why I didn't start hunting 'til the age of 17. And the 1st 2 or 3 years I depended on borrowed guns. But eventually I managed to amass a goodly collection of guns... Including I think 5 Savage M-24s. I originally had 3 24-V's in .30-30/20 ga. I sold one and then gave another away. Still have the one that was D&T'd and has a peep sight. Traded the .223/20 to the guy I sold the 1st .30-30. Now I only have the one .30-30/20 and a .222/20. If I could use a rifle to hunt Turkeys, I'd take that sport up. But here in MI, we can only use shotguns. frown

Now that I'm retired, I'm thinking of moving back to Tennessee. So, my hunting may change.

All in all, I must say that I truly enjoyed this thread... GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
A few years back I ran into a few Savage 222/20 that had been rechambered to 223. Probably saw 4 or 5 of them over a 4 month period.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My grandfather had a Savage 24 that a widow had given him to pay him for some work he did for her (only plumber in a small town, and this wasn't unusual). Anyway, it was a .22lr/20ga with the top lever, connected barrels, no checkering or monte carlo stock. Any idea what exact model that was?

When my grandfather passed, my grandmother gave it to a sleaze bag uncle (married into the family). I have no doubt he sold it for beer or pot.

I'd love to find one exactly like it. I'll never have his, but at least having one like would be cool.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Saw one today that was 410 over 410. Never knew they made that one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks 700,

I've been "indisposed" due to a medical thing. He still had it as of yesterday and I think I can arrange a meet this week. He claims it's in "good" shape so I have my hopes up.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Thanks 700,

I've been "indisposed" due to a medical thing. He still had it as of yesterday and I think I can arrange a meet this week. He claims it's in "good" shape so I have my hopes up.

Geno

Scope should be worth at least a hundred bucks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamSteele
I have a Savage 24 in .22LR/20 gauge. My dad built a deck for our pastor when I was a kid in exchange for the gun. He wanted it because his FIL had a Model 24 in the same caliber/gauge and he loved it. Only difference is mine has the release on the tang and my grandfathers has it on the side.

Seems nearly impossible to find another one with a release on the side of the action in a .22LR/20 gauge around here. The phrase "scarce as hen's teeth" has been used a few times. Most guys I talk to don't even know that they were made with a release on the side instead of tang.

SS

there is good reason for the scarcity. The side release levers kept breaking off, so it was redesigned. (My father has the side release .22lr/,420 savage.it is the gun all of us kids were trained to hunt with.)
It was discontinued, but has been reintroduced as the model 42 with synthetic stocks. Remington also makes one, but thier rifle barrel is below the shotgun barrel, and just looks wrong. (Lol)
I intend to pick up a model 42, sooner or later as a "trunk gun".

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Saw one today that was 410 over 410. Never knew they made that one.

Savage 242.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 700LH
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Thanks 700,

Geno

Scope should be worth at least a hundred bucks.

Well, there is that part of the equation.

Thanks,

Geno

PS, just got off phone, we both have to go to town tomorrow so I'll get a chance to see it then.

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine; .22 mag and 20 gauge:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Mine; .22 mag and 20 gauge:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sakoluvr,

I like the shellholder. Did you make it? Looks mighty handy and I'll be in the market for one if my deal goes through.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There was (is?) a guy on the Savage 24 forum that makes them. It has held up great and would buy another. My 24 is a designated 4wheeler gun and that shell holder is worth every penny even though I don't remember how much I paid for it.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, I'll look for that forum and guy.

Geno

In it is contentment

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (007FJ, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,953 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.