Pete
Boo boo

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bill

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I never had more than one hunting dog at a time. Always had labs. Every one of them was named Sam. If there's a rainbow bridge, there will be a squadron of black Sam's to meet me. And of course my other house dogs as well.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I bought my dog from a guy in Arizona. He sent me a pic of the pup, in the back of an old Bronco, a sibling on each side of him watching, while he gnawed on a coyote skull.

Seeing that pic, I figured to name him Bones, as I figured that was all that was gonna be left of a critter after he got a hold of it. I told the dude what I thought I might name him.

A few months later I flew out to pick him up. Turned out the guy I was getting him from knew a band called Bone Daddy, so he had started calling the pup Bone Daddy. Upon my arrival, when I found this out, I liked Bone Daddy even better than Bones, so he's been the Bone Daddy ever since.

He is an Airedale Terrier, and a damn fine dog!

The three Dobies I had before him, sequentially, were Duke, Max, and Blitz.

Last edited by DELGUE; 04/28/16.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bangeye
I always liked the old TV trusty side kick names

Festus
Barney
Jingles
Pete
Boo boo

Festus...uggghh. To show how weird the freakin world is, when I was finishing up my second Bachelor's degree at the University of South Florida, I was informed that I was 'required' to take an African History course. This annoyed me, but the worst was yet to come.

The professor was Festus Ohaegbulam, the Chairman of the African and African American Studies Department. This clown was from Nigeria, and I guess his parents musta liked Gunsmoke or something, I dunno. But I do know this...with absolute certainty...he was the most racist professor I ever crossed paths with.

He was kinda like Obama..."everything is George W.'s fault". Ohaegbulam thought that everything wrong in Africa was the fault of Europeans and their colonialism, even the things that occurred after the Europeans left and the former colonies were ruled by indigenous black rulers, many of whom were corrupt and abused their own people.

At the end of the course, when the ratings forms were passed around, he was excoriated by the entire class, including me. I've never seen an entire class hammer a prof like that. Shortly thereafter, he ceased to be the chairman of that department.

Oh, and did I mention that he had a horrid accent that made it an ordeal to try to figure out what the hell he was saying? Yeah, he did.

Last edited by DELGUE; 04/28/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Well, this may be decided.

I had been just reading down a list of dog names, and everyone in the house liked "Milo". I wasn't into it much, until I took my 5yr old lab hunting on a bird hunting preserve (short 6 chukar hunt to finish out the "season"). We were working a strip of cut sorghum, and I remembered that sorghum is also called milo. That and the pup is a yellow/red lab, so the sorghum stalk/seed colors will be similar to the dog. And since upland hunting is about over here anymore...if I want to shoot birds, I gotta pay to play on a preserve, which plants a lot of milo........the pup will be in milo fields a lot.

So...I think it may be Milo.

I don't want to absolutely say that's it till I get to meet the pup and see if something else leaps out at me, but I'm sort of leaning that way now.

My oldest daughter figured out that the pup was born on Thomas Jefferson's birthday. She thought Jefferson would be nice, but it's too long, and I don't like Jeff for short. I thought of Independence and Indy for short, but once I thought on it for a bit, I just was "meh" about all that.

If I file his papers to register him, though, I'm sure I'll have to come up with some sort of unique name for him, though. I never bothered with my other labs, as they were all neutered/spayed, and no breeding would be happening, so I didn't see the point.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Like the boys said, the pup's name will present itself, and it kinda sounds to me like that has already happened!

Milo is a most excellent name!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've a wire hair named Catfish.

If she was a dog instead of a bitch, her name would've been Whoop.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Always named dogs after where I got them, until the last one. Kids had a part in it! I'd would like to have named Aspen "damn it", because that Chessie was brilliant to the point she'd do chit just for spite.

Aspen
Boca
Bay
Sailor

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
D
D
tddeangelo,

Gentlemen...please allow an old fart (mucho experience) to explain.
1st...all dogs do NOT understand our language, what they hear is vibration and tone associated with words we understand but they do not.
Naming a dog is crucial to a successful life, indoors and out.
Single syllable words (names) make teaching (training) much easier. Choose a name you can easily fluctuate the tone up and down as in happy tone and disgusted tone when using dogs name to praise for all good things and lower tone for all disappointing times...it will make much easier for everyone involved.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your new pup...life is always a happier with a well trained dog.

Dog Man

Disrespect my wife, kick my dog or speak bad about Ronald Regan and you will see first hand how well my guns work.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Rip, Tuck, Penny, Spring, Ellie, Deak, (Win)Chester, Remington, Chunky, Fred, Sunny.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My dog knows more than most people I know, and is a better person to boot. 'Nuff said.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My blood tracking dog in South Africa and my German shorthair in the USA both have the same name, I don't have to remember two names this way.

Both are named " Bushman" I chose this name because the bushman tribe are the most serious and functional hunters on earth.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mika (mee-kah)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I named my dog Farts because that is all he does. Always get strange looks when out in the woods yelling Come Farts!

Wife and daughter call him Farty or Mr Farty Man

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had a big male yellow lab with some fox red highlights; he was a great dog. I really miss that dog; he was my bud through some tuff times. His name was Dusty.

Last edited by Cruiser1; 05/09/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My WPG pup is named Rosie after her disposition. laugh

[Linked Image]

She LOVES her Uncle Rocky! grin

[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
OK, pup comes home on or after June 8. Since that's a Wed., I'll probably see if I can do the pick-up on the following Saturday.

That said, I have a 5yr old neutered male lab, and getting a male pup (based on my trainer's suggestions, along with that of one of the breeder's I talked to). Trying to figure out how I want to do the intro's.....

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Looking like Milo is likely, but we'll see when he comes home.

I'm going to see the litter on Sunday and pick the pup, so I'll post a few pics of him then. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I liked Abercrombie and Bitch.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.