Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hi all,

I am finally going on a dream Dall sheep hunt in 2017. I will also be going on a DIY Goat hunt in the next year or so depending on draw odds! I'd also use it for Wyo or CO backpack hunts for Mule deer and Elk.

I have been researching a good ultra-light yet carry heavy backpack for a 4-10 day hunt that is also compressible to take on the daily hunts once at basecamp. Price is not an issue- best fit and usability is.

Three packs have come recommended- love your thoughts as to the pros/cons of the "meat haule shelf" versions and what you think of them.

• McHale Custom Backpack: $1500 all-in- super light, great reputation, built for a lifetime, see link - it's also highly compressible for a day-pack. Cons: I would need to position meat on the inside closest to internal frame and store gear around it on the pack out: http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/detail/MBSuper.htm
  • Stone Glacier Sky 5100: $700 all-in, light, material not as tough as McHale and no custom fit, only closest size; has the "meat hauler shelf" and is also compressible as a day pack
  • Kifaru pack and frame 5000+/-": $700+ all-in, medium weight, I don't know much about them.

Thoughts or comments on one of the above choices?

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd have a hard time spending $1500 on a McHale when the latter 2 options are available, I know that. I've used both and they're MORE than capable of handling any backpack hunting task thrown at them. That's nothing against McHales, but the difference in price would go a long way (for me at least), and Stone Glacier and Kifaru both make a top tier ruck. I've used both the SG 5100 and 7400 and both are great setups, but I use Kifaru now. I'd check out the new Duplex frame and a bag like the Timberline 1, AMR, or Argali for extended backpack hunting trips.

Tanner

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I can't believe a guy who shoots designer bullets wouldn't want a designer backpack. I have to agree with Tanner. I actually have a Dyneema McHale I bought used for backpacking. It is a great "designer" pack for backpacking but I would not recommend it for a hunting pack. There is a difference. I have also had like Tanner the Stone Glacier and many Kifaru packs over the years. I would probably lean toward a Kifaru personally. Logged many, many miles with one of those on my back and packed out a truckload of critters. Have fun on your hunt, get in shape, shoot a lot, and get some good boots and have them broken in ready to rock.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be considering the SO/Paradox packs as well. I switched from a Kifaru to a Paradox Evo and couldn't be happier. The Paradox fits me much better and is an incredible pack.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Kifaru has worked well for me. The older Dana design packs have worked as well, but a little heavy.

Lefty C

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John,
Several have recommended Kifaru. I am posting a link for one somebody is selling on eBay. Currently, it is a pretty good deal. I know there are 7 hrs left on the auction; but I thought you may want to keep an eye on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kifaru-Duplex-Timberline-1-Backpack-With-Extras-/222097175887?hash=item33b605f54f:g:x7EAAOSwVllXHUZw

I don't know how familiar you are with Kifaru or their website; so, I took the liberty of entering the items included in the package he has listed. The price, new, from Kifaru for that entire setup is $927 plus shipping. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thomas

Last edited by TheBigSky; 05/04/16.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All the packs mentioned are up to the task, so a lot will depend on how the packs fit you, and how they feel with a good load on-board. For that I've found that Kifaru fits me best and is most comfortable but it's like fitting boots, your mileage will vary.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I can only comment on the Stone Glacier, but I love mine. It retired my frame packs for sheep and goats. Way more comfortable to me.
I don't know the Kifaru packs at all, but I wouldn't hesitate to try them if I were starting over.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cwh2
I can only comment on the Stone Glacier, but I love mine. It retired my frame packs for sheep and goats. Way more comfortable to me.
I don't know the Kifaru packs at all, but I wouldn't hesitate to try them if I were starting over.

Pretty tough to argue with either one for a Dall hunt... Just look at your own sheep and the rams taken by Kurt Racicot while using the SGs... They're practically a lucky charm for big rams. grin...

Tanner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
John,
Several have recommended Kifaru. I am posting a link for one somebody is selling on eBay. Currently, it is a pretty good deal. I know there are 7 hrs left on the auction; but I thought you may want to keep an eye on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kifaru-Duplex-Timberline-1-Backpack-With-Extras-/222097175887?hash=item33b605f54f:g:x7EAAOSwVllXHUZw

That's a lotta pack for a little money...

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thomas, thank you for the heads-up on eBay packs. All, thank you for your observations.

I think that what I will do is order a demo of each, load em up as and see which fits best. This said, it sounds like the load hauler/meat packer feature might be more comfortable for a haul out. There were other packs that I looked at SO, etc. that didn't fit me well.

John

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
When I was getting ready for my Dall hunt last year I tried 4 packs - Dana Design Terraframe, Bora 80 Arcteryx, Stone Glacier and Paradox/Seekoutside Unaweep. I bought the DD and Bora on eBay - the others I bought new.

As for design and layout I liked the Stone Glacier best and wanted it to work. After trying heavy loads with all of them my back greatly preferred the Seekoutside pack. The DD pack came close but Seekoutside just carried the weight so much better. Goes to show you have to try the each out to see how they feel on you.

I really need to write up a post on my hunt from last year - one of the most amazing things I have ever done. I heard last week the taxidermist finished my sheep!

Have fun preparing for the hunt. I loved learning and trying new things.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'll be sporting a Kifaru UL frame and Mountain Rambler here in September on my Mountain goat hunt. I've been training with a 65-70 pound pack and this is the most comfortable pack I've had the pleasure of wearing. Final decision will be in September though.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have the exact same setup Joel. Should work good for a goat hunt or an elk quarter or anything in between. I dug out my S Sarc P&G McHale and it is a hell of a pack. I can see where I could stuff a sheep in there maybe but I'd hate to drop a bloody boned out or not elk quarter in that nice Dyneema bag. I like the load shelf idea for packing critters out personally.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi,

Have anyone of you used the Karrimor Cougar Backpacks? Specially the 70-95?
And, in case, what your evaluation of it?

Thanks

PH

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by sheephunter2
I have the exact same setup Joel. Should work good for a goat hunt or an elk quarter or anything in between. I dug out my S Sarc P&G McHale and it is a hell of a pack. I can see where I could stuff a sheep in there maybe but I'd hate to drop a bloody boned out or not elk quarter in that nice Dyneema bag. I like the load shelf idea for packing critters out personally.

Would it help to use the Kifaru game bag inside the McHale in your experience? Might reduce the amount of blood soak. Plus, Dan says that the packs are washable; have you ever tried to get stains out before? Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not familiar with the McHale's but I love the SG packs.

I have four of the SG's and yes I'm a pack whore. 😀

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No I have not used the McHale to hunt with. I am sure it would work just fine. It is a very comfy pack for backpacking just never tried to stuff a critter in it.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have owned/used many packs since my first in 1956 and have had two Kifarus, about a dozen Dana Gleason packs, various others large and small, but, never a SG.

Last summer, I bought a Seekoutside Divide pack and it simply blows away ANYTHING I have used before. Light, simple, excellent craftsmanship and Kevin, Angie and Luke have been just outstanding to work with.

I will be 70 at the end of June, am seriously "gimped" now and my backpacking may be at an end. However, IF, I can still do it as I work at fitness post a serious, life-threatening medical incident last New Years, I will buy a second, larger SO pack.

For BC/AB/Canadian Territories alpine packing, I cannot envision anything better and the cost is reasonable.

HTH, best of luck with your hunt and pack choice.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (19rabbit52, 450yukon, 30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 35sambar, 345dl, 22 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.