Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
For some reason I have been put in charge of finding somebody to take me and the in laws fishing while we are on vacation in Fort Walton. It will be in the middle of June and have no idea what we should be fishing for or who to book with ( I am a bass fisherman, so I know nothing about saltwater fishing!). There will be 5 of us and would like to be the only group on the boat. We plan on fishing just one day. Any recommendations on this would be greatly appreciated!

Also, what might something like this cost?

Thanks

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Federal red snapper season (9+ nautical miles out) will be in full swing the first half of June. A half-day (or even a whole day) charter would be a lot of fun for the inland folks. You only get 2 snapper per person but there are several other reef fish that could be targeted if you can get past all the snapper (such as trigger fish, vermillion snapper, groupers, amberjack, sharks, etc). If you fill your limit on reef fish you would likely fill your charter with some trolling for king mackerel and mahi mahi.

Florida has a much longer state snapper season (9nm and in) but I don't know the exact dates off the top of my head.

Half day charters are usually very reasonable and for people that aren't hardcore offshore fishermen this will allow a LOT of fun without getting beat up like a full day can do to you.

Also, considering that snapper season is less than a month away, MOST charters for the first half of June will probably be booked up already. Good luck on this one.

If you don't want to do the offshore thing, an inshore trip for specks (spotted sea trout) and reds (red drum) may be in order. 5 people may be pushing it though since inshore trips are typically not large boats (much shallower game here). You will probably have to do some calling to find an inshore charter with a boat large enough to accommodate 5 (unless you want to charter two boats). Besides specks and reds, you can catch any number of other species too such as black drum, spanish mackerel, ladyfish, bluefish, stingrays, sea catfish, sheepheads, sharks, etc.

Whether inshore or offshore, you really never know what you are going to catch until you see it on the end of your line.

Rates will vary dramatically depending on how large a boat you are chartering. Do your due diligence on the internet, call as many as possible and get references.

Good fishing!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,467
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.