Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not that I hang out in bars in the first place. Anyway, been having fun building these knives and manage to sell a few along.

This has become my EDC. Alabama Damascus steel and Japanese Chestnut. This thing with its thinner blade will sharpen like a razor.

[Linked Image]

My daughter liked the Damascus and asked if I would make her a knife for her birthday. I figure a 10 year old needs a good knife and so here is her's. With Birdseye Maple.

[Linked Image]

This is a great knife made with 1095 steel and book-matched Maple Burl. Then it was shipped off to forum member stillhunter73. He was pleased with it but hasn't had a chance to do any serious field testing as yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A couple of "Bird & Trout" knives, one in 1084 steel with Walnut and the other in 1095 with Japanese Chestnut.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

GB1

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow! Very nice cutlery!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you keep practicing you'll figure it out. grin Looking good!

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
snubbie those look great ! It is addicting ,isn't it ?

IC B2

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you keep practicing you'll figure it out. grin Looking good!

Getting there, getting there! wink Easier than building a tent!

Originally Posted by VinceM
snubbie those look great ! It is addicting ,isn't it ?

Yes it is. Enjoying every minute...uhh, rather than the failures. Even then it's a learning experience
www.gpopecustomknives.com

Last edited by snubbie; 04/29/16.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Very nice snubby. How long have you been at it? Looks like you didn't just decide to do this last year.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Snubbie's successful in an occupation where artistry is required. I would fail miserably.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
O
I like your designs, simple lines and look very comfortable and effective. I really like the bird and trout knives and the one you did for your daughter.

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Very nice snubby. How long have you been at it? Looks like you didn't just decide to do this last year.

I'm a professional bench jeweler, custom designs, hand fabricating, repairs, rebuilds etc. Been doing that for 32 years. http://www.gapopefinejewelry.com/
Been looking, reading, researching and itching to build knives for around 20-25 years. Started piddling around about a year ago and got serious last fall. It was an easy transition from jewelry making to knife making. Biggest hurdle was learning heat treating and various steels.

Last edited by snubbie; 05/04/16.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

IC B3

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Omenator
I like your designs, simple lines and look very comfortable and effective. I really like the bird and trout knives and the one you did for your daughter.

Thanks. I'm a believer in keeping it simple. My goal is to make them simple but handsome, comfortable in the hand and fully functional and usable. I want them to be used!

I like fixed blade knives and own a number of factory made knives. All are mostly fine but I've never been totally satisfied with any of them.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

snubbie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Snubbie's successful in an occupation where artistry is required. I would fail miserably.

Don't let Rock Chuck fool you, he's an artist and craftsman in his own right. Check out his handmade tent. I spent several comfortable Idaho nights in the "RC Hilton Lodge" grin

[Linked Image]

The thing is downright spacious inside.
[Linked Image]

That Mess on the right was his bunk. wink You'll note the nice neat bunk on the left, that's mine. You can also note, he has the TP in his gear so I'm nice to him on hunts.

Last edited by snubbie; 05/04/16.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 44automag, 5sdad, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 13 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 805 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,384
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.