Pretty darn cool benchman!

Dave

BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have held GHWB, WJC, GWB, the Pope, Prince Charles, Jeff Gordon, Jack Nicklaus and Carl Edwards in 'the palm of my hand'......I was an Air Traffic Controller.

Had Slammin Sammy Snead as a passenger when I was a Charter Pilot.

My mom shook the hand of Jimmy Carter when he was campaigning........

Does any of that count? If not then NO!

PS: Edwards was faster on the track than he was flying home that day.

Asked Gordons crew if he ever flew the airplane, they said 'You ever see him drive, he wrecks a lot, We have an agreement, we don't drive his car, he doesn't fly the airplane'

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I shook hands with Jimmy C on an airplane a while back. He wan't sitting at the time, he was walking up and down the isles shaking hands. Those that knew him wished he would take a seat and those that didn't know him wished he would take a seat too.

I thought for a while that I had shaken hands with the worst President the US has ever had. Obama has blown that little personal record for me.

I have met one of the Secret Service agents that was there when Reagan was shot. He's a really nice guy. I think more of that meeting than I do of meeting President Jimmah.

Harry
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
No but I'd be happy to get within 600 yards of O on a calm day.
Thumbs up on that one.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
No! My mother told not to associate with people like that.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a Sales Manager once who had previously worked for another company, that had won a National Quality Award, and his team was presented the award by GW Bush. This guy is a typical extroverted, talkative salesman. They are standing in line to shake Bush's hand. When Bush comes to him, he opens his mouth...and totally freezes, so after a few awkward moments, Bush, smiles and goes on to the next person, while Mr. extrovert continues to stand there with his mouth open. grin

Dana Perino, the Fox News host, worked for W. One story she told is, the Bushes usually went to Camp David for Christmas, before flying home to Texas a couple days later. They did that so their staff and Secret Service could spend Christmas with their families. If they flew back to Texas, the staff had to go with them. Very considerate of them.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I went to Nixon's inaugural parade in 1969 when I was 7. I don't remember seeing the motorcade, I just remember the fact that my feet were freezing.

Back in the 80's when I drove a truck, I was headed up I270 and got behind Regan's motorcade headed to Camp David. It was raining and foggy. Not the best conditions for flying. They had the right and center lanes blocked but traffic was getting around them in the far left lane and was able to pass.

This doesn't count, but my cousin was SS for Quail. He met his wife during that gig, she was Bush 41's Navy nurse.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Was close enough to share nods with Gerald Ford, shook hands with both George Bush the elder and Jimmy Carter when they both visited Cape Canaveral/KSC. Didn't want to shake with Carter but I was high enough on the base staff to be required to.

Carter was a prick, but Rosalynn was a true Southern lady. Bush was great. The above comment about Republicans versus Demos as far as personality is concerned is spot on. Dems seem to think of themselves as too elite to actually mingle with commoners.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Early eighties, my motorcycle period, Bush 1 was coming in to College Station TX to give a speech at Texas A&M. Me and a motorcycle buddy are on a grassy hill by a highway off ramp overlooking the small airport outside of town, a high vantage point maybe 1,000 yards away from the terminal.

A number of in-shape government types in casual sports attire also on said knoll, all with small submachine gun-sized sports bags slung over their shoulders. Air Force One helicopter and a number of limos waiting at the terminal, IIRC the helicopter blades slowly turning. Two other helicopters circling the airport 180 degrees apart. One of the government guys with us on the hill has a camera with a big lens, he takes a few photos of me and my buddy, we just look back at him, we understand what he is doing.

Air Force one approaches nearly head on, generating a lot of exaust. I ain't a pilot, but I figured they kept the engines cranked up so as to be ready for emergency evasive maneuvers, sorta like driving a car hi revs in low gear.

Plane lands and is already at the terminal faster than I would have thought possible, distant figures in motion.

Then, a few minutes later, we can't believe it....

...three limos in a line leave the airport and rather than take the direct route to the college campus, they head our way. Motorcade passes maybe twenty yards away just downhill. Me and my buddy, the only civilians there, are cheering and waving with both hands in the air like loons. George H W Bush looks up, sees us, laughs and waves. By that point me and my buddy are jumping up and down like little kids grin

Government guy with camera cracked a tiny bit of a smile, just a little.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh yeah, those linebacker types wearing bumpy suits - that rattle. Had modanuff of them during the two Presidential visits to the Cape. I understand their job, really I do. But they are some of the worst bullies and jerkoffs known to man.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I grew up 2 blocks away from the Gipper. He lived on 45th street, and I lived on 47th street. Played with his kids from time to time (they were a little older, and hung with my sister more than me). The Gip once ran over my bicycle when I was about 7 or 8. My fault, laid it down in the driveway and since it was on a slight hump, I'm sure he couldn't see it when he backed up. That night he showed up at our door with a brand new green Murray bicycle complete with banana seat.

My mom knew the Gipper too. She was the bartender on Tom Raley's yacht (85' motor yacht), and Ronnie would come out at least once a year and spend a day or two cruising with Tom and just relaxing. He tipped VERY well. My mom who was a lifelong democrat voted for Ronnie every time. She said it was because she could look him in the eye and see that he was a genuine man who meant what he said.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dwight Eisenhower and his Missus, Mamie were leaving the big Presbyterian church in D.C..
We were there on a quick week's visit, and playing tourist.
He stopped and shook my hand, and riveted me with eye to eye contact,.....I don't remember the verbiage exchanged, I remember stammering something ending in, "Sir".
I was 12 at the time, and an avid student of WW2.Almost immediately thought of the pics. of him talking to the paratroopers.
....I've oftimes reflected just how many young men he riveted with that same frank and honest look, Knowing that their number would soon be up.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Met and rode in the President D. D. Eisenhower,s limo with him when I was a young man, VERY neat.

Gramps was a big shot in IL republican politics, pres of the state and county party org. He was also a County Commissioner in Will county. Will County ALWAYS delivered the Republican vote.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The closest I've come is standing on a curb while Reagan went by in the limo. I can't exactly call it thrilling.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A 12 year old me rode my bike downtown in my scout uniform to see President Ford. There weren't that many people there and I got myself up to the front where he was shaking hands and signing things. He saw my uniform and asked me something I didn't hear and then I asked if he really could have been a Green Bay Packer (12 year old priorities) and he said "yes, but I'm kinda stuck doing this now", which got a chuckle from those that heard. He tousled my hair, shook my hand and moved on. Pretty cool!

I have a picture from an old Kodak around here somewhere. I'll post it if I can find it.

AF1 landed in GR when I think Reagan was President and my dad was the ranking civilian DoD guy in the area. His plane had to be refueled, but beforehand the fuel had to be tested. So dad took a sample down to K-zoo to the UpJohn Labs with a trooper in front and in back, lights and sirens the whole way. They (State Police) had him qualify at the range so he could carry during the trip. Kind of a big deal I guess. He was very proud to have done it - I was too.

Other than that - I've seen a number a motorcades, but you really can't see anyone in the limo as they speed by.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Reagan met the pope here in the mid 80's IIRC

YUGE turnout for them at the airport

Just never have understood the fascination with celebrities

Is that carpet still at the dawg?

Snowy day as I recall.

RR stayed at Fat Frank's house on the Chena R. and Chena Pump Road was a clusterF for a week.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My bad, when I knew Reagan he was sitting Governor; not President. My mom knew him as president.

My former sister in law is married to one of the Reagan's, but I can't remember which one.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm thinking of the Ron White/ Mamie Eisenhower joke

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Shook hands with Gerald Ford just before he tripped and fell down.

Kidding; he almost fell though. whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a nice picture of ex-president Ford at a celebrity golf tournament in Florida. Also took pics of Bob Hope, Jackie Gleason, Arnold Palmer and several of the 1970's Miami Dolphins at the same tournament.

Had to take the pic of Ford through a telephoto lens, however. For safety's sake they kept the crowd about 300 yards back from his tee shot... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.