Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dingmo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Have some Cabela's bucks to spend - time to upgrade fish finder/ GPS. Looks like 7" is the right size - lots more models to choose from than expected, all sounds the same. Which one should I get and why?

Choices:
Lowrance® Elite-7 Ti Medium/High Sonar/GPS Combo
Lowrance® Hook-7 Base Mid/High DownScan Sonar/GPS Combo Combo
Lowrance® Hook-7 Base Mid/High DownScan Sonar/GPS Combo with Navonics+ Mapping
Lowrance® Elite-7 Ti Combos with Navionics+
Lowrance® Hook-7 Mid/High DownScan Nav+ Sonar/GPS Combo

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Partners and I use em for two weeks of lake trout fishing each summer......we both went through multiple Lowrance of different models....never had one finish the trip.

Switched to Garmin and Humminbird 3-4 years ago and still running em.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Lowrance has won the last 5 BassMaster Classics. They've got to be doing something right. I'd make your 3rd listing my choice. powdr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used Lowrance finders for decades. I did have a problem with a small portable model after a couple years of use. This is where it pays to shop at Cabelas. I brought it into the service desk and and they told me to go pick out a new one and the exchange was no charge. It pays to keep your receipt. I did buy a refurbished Lowrance HDS5 unit from Cabelas last fall. I've had good luck buying refurbished items over the years and this one was no exception. My son and I used it to find the walleyes after fall turnover in NW Ontario.

So, buy from Cabelas, keep your receipt and don't worry about it.

D
Dingmo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Powdr - thanks for your recommendation - why that one?

Walt - that's why I shop Cabela's, I appreciate their customer service and I'm willing to pay extra for it. They have made it more challenging lately...

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You might want to look at the new Humminbirds, I have one and love it. Had Lowrance for years and their customer service stinks

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Vern what happened to the Lowrance? They quit on you or something?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't remember exactly but all problems involved resolution. Keep in mind that we are fishing deeper than most bass or walleye fishermen. I was able to use it em as a depth meter of sorts but fish could never be sorted from clutter.

Three times I sent in defunct machines and each time they said they no longer have that model so send $$$ and we'll send you the new model. I thought it was just me or my boats system was producing voltage spikes etc.....my buddy was going through the same thing. We bought Garmins three years ago and they still work. Another partner has had a Humminbird for a decade and he leaves it out in our cold winters without problem.

Their customer service sux.....as mentioned.
I just bought a new Humminbird side imaging via Cabelas.

Last edited by VernAK; 05/05/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
OK. That's interesting I use mine for bass fishing so most all my action is at the thermocline or shallower...maybe down to 30-40 feet during summer. I forget the model but it's a good one.

I use mine a lot not so much to find fish but look at structure and the FF is secondary.

I also have a Hummingird in the front on trolling motor. Good units but HB has always made good stuff.

I have no chance to use the CS for either. These companies swap out new models fast. By the time you bolt a unit on it's obsolete LOL!

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/05/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

134 members (280ACKIMP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 338rcm, 14 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,223
Posts18,447,513
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.