Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
J
JDHasty Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,188769.0.html

The thread is a mess, but all the information is in there.

Skip to page 46 Reply # 1126 if you want to start with the post that let the cat out of the bag. Those of us who already knew were keeping it quiet and waiting for the Prosecutor's Office to announce it. But here it is.

Re: raffle tag bull-poached?
« Reply #1126 on: April 30, 2016, 08:17:22 PM »
Someone has an arraignment for one count of Big Game Hunt 2nd degree under RCW 77.15.410.1. It's on May 9, 2016 at 8:30 AM in Lower Kittitas District Court. Looks like his notice was returned so he may have not received his arraignment notice. I hope one of his buddies on here tells him so his attorney can waive arraignment so he doesn't have to go over or get a warrant. The charge is under subsection (1) below:

RCW 77.15.410
Unlawful hunting of big game—Penalty.
(1) A person is guilty of unlawful hunting of big game in the second degree if the person:
(a) Hunts for, takes, or possesses big game and the person does not have and possess all licenses, tags, or permits required under this title; or
(b) Violates any department rule regarding seasons, bag or possession limits, closed areas including game reserves, closed times, or any other rule governing the hunting, taking, or possession of big game.
(2) A person is guilty of unlawful hunting of big game in the first degree if the person commits the act described in subsection (1) of this section and:
(a) The person hunts for, takes, or possesses three or more big game animals within the same course of events; or
(b) The act occurs within five years of the date of a prior conviction under this title involving unlawful hunting, killing, possessing, or taking big game.
(3)(a) Unlawful hunting of big game in the second degree is a gross misdemeanor. Upon conviction of an offense involving killing or possession of big game taken during a closed season, closed area, without the proper license, tag, or permit using an unlawful method, or in excess of the bag or possession limit, the department shall revoke all of the person's hunting licenses and tags and order a suspension of the person's hunting privileges for two years.
(b) Unlawful hunting of big game in the first degree is a class C felony. Upon conviction, the department shall revoke all of the person's hunting licenses or tags and order the person's hunting privileges suspended for ten years.
(4) For the purposes of this section, "same course of events" means within one twenty-four hour period, or a pattern of conduct composed of a series of acts that are unlawful under subsection (1) of this section, over a period of time evidencing a continuity of purpose.

BP-B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bro, we need a reader's digest synopsis.

J
JDHasty Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
He shot a 400+ elk in a GMU closed to branch antler bull hunting.

I know the thread is a mess, a long hot mess, but I just don't have it in me at this time to post a synopsis at this time.

This is going to reverberate throughout the hunting comunity once word gets out.

Hopefully the threads we had that are much more concise, that were locked or secreted away out of the public view, will be back soon.

Bottom line is if convicted this offense invokes IWVC and that means a two year minimum time out from buying Auction Tags.

By the way, he purchased the E Washington & the Pennsylvania 2016 tags at the RMEF Banquet a couple weeks ago.

Last edited by JDHasty; 05/05/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have time to figure out what that's all about.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
JDHasty Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I don't have time to figure out what that's all about.

I know. I am sorry. I will try to put something short together when I get time, but that will be a few days at least.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
WTF is this some kind of mystery game?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
JDHasty Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
No, not at all - to get up to speed on his history, if you don't recognize the name do an internet search and type in Todd Reichert Elk and the search engine will suggest:

Related searches
Tod Reichert Illegal Elk
New World Record Elk
Biggest Elk in the World

This guy has been participating in Tag Auctions for a long time.

He and Jon Wick were also charged w/multiple gross misdemeanors and felonies related to a hunt in Washington's Blue Mountains in 2007 in which he used the Washington Governor's Auction Tag. Both plead guilty in 2012 to some of the charges and others were dismissed. You can search this case online and get up to speed on it.

Last year Mr Reichert bought one Washington State Auction Tag and won a three species SE Washington Raffle Tag and then proceeded to kill a monster bull in GMU 334, Ellensburg, which is closed to branch antler bull hunting specifically excluded from the areas in which Mr Reicherts tag was valid for.

The info is spread throughout the thread I linked to and it is a hot mess. There were/are other threads that were nuked and some should/may reappear when/after it is possible to make sure they do not contain any libelous or other actionable postings in them.

As of the 21st Mr Reichert has been charged w/Unlawful Taking of Big Game II and if found guilty or pleads out that will invoke the IWVC suspension of hunting privileges.

Last edited by JDHasty; 05/05/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only in a place like WA would an auction tag not be good statewide.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Ain't that the truth.

You should see the fishing regs if you want a real laugh. Throw the wagon burners in the mix and it's a regular goat rodeo.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
JDHasty Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Ain't that the truth.

You should see the fishing regs if you want a real laugh. Throw the wagon burners in the mix and it's a regular goat rodeo.

It is a Raffle Tag, not an Auction Tag, and it is good for any area that is open to hunting of branched antler bulls statewide:

(a) Season dates: September 1 - December 31

(b) Hunt Area: Eastern Washington EXCEPT GMU 157, those GMUs closed to elk hunting, and those GMUs not opened to branch antlered bull elk hunting by the fish and wildlife commission.

FWIW, this same guy did purchase one of the Auction Tags in 2015 too. If anybody should be intimately familiar with this restriction, it would be this guy.

Last edited by JDHasty; 05/06/16.
IC B3

J
JDHasty Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
"Here is the bull after it was shot and hauled off whole, then placed in a open unit for pics and dressing. Also a pic of the rack."

Photos of bull on post 428, 429 & the Auction Tag bull he shot in 2015 in another area is posted in post #437

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It sounds like a light penalty for a trophy elk and repeat offenses.
Was he actually charged and is there credible evidence?

J
JDHasty Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Charges were filed on the 21st of April. The evidence is very solid. It will take some fancy legal footwork to get him out of this. He has retained a heavy hitter out of Spokane to represent him. To get it up to First degree would have been a non-starter and then he isn't a "repeat offender" because he negotiated a non game violation plea deal on the 2007 case. The best we can hope for is two years of suspended privileges and accompanying IWVC. The Prosecutor's Office seems to be cognizant that the sportsmen of the State are for the most part furious and also that they see the IWVC hit as what it will take to get this behavior stopped.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my state the Samson law would attach a $20K fine to a trophy animal violation. I think that would apply to invalid unit.
The invalid unit part can sometimes be tough to prosecute because who is to say how far the animal traveled until it fell.
The aspect of dragging any conservation organization fundraiser (auction or raffle) into it is nauseating.

J
JDHasty Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Funny you should mention that: It did travel outside of the closed GMU into an open GMU before being field dressed.

It had to travel across a couple sections of land to get to an open GMU boundary.... but it didn't travel to an open GMU under under it's own power.

GMU = 334 you can map it here.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/gmu/sear...;search=Ellensburg&orderby=PlaceName

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho also raffles off special tags called superhunts. They're good in any hunt in the state but the season in that hunt must be open and all animal size & sex regulations must be followed. If you choose to use it in a spike only hunt, you're restricted to spikes only. Most winners naturally use them in high percentage trophy hunts.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My God you're a idiot JD... you do have issues man!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The governors tag in Washington gets abused every year. There was the the guy that was caught spotting elk out of a helicopter which landed close to where they had observed a big bull, the tag holder got out of the heli which took off and he and his guide shot the bull.

Then there was the tag holder that was living in another part of the state that had several guides looking for a certain bull and when they found it out in the national forest off private ground. They called him at his residence, he got in his private jet flew up to the closest airport and was then transported to the site where he killed the bull took pictures with everybody and then returned to the airport to fly to New Mexico for another hunt.

There was also the tag holder that paid a certain guide service to make sure that a particular bull was watched all late summer and if any of the draw tag holders got close to finding it the guides would interfere with them so as not to get close enough to it to take it.

Washington Fish and Game is not going to kill their cash bull tag. They are getting anywhere from $40,000 to $70,000 for these tags. All of these above were investigated but was swept under the table so as not to irritate the Governors tag auction. These guys show up in our mountains with their army's and disrupt everyone elses hunt and don't really give a rats rear end because they are only there to kill a monster bull and have their picture taken, then move on to their next hunt in some other state.

I have personally dealt with some of these guys and they believe that they are above the law because they hold "The Governors Tag". Most of the governors tag holders don't usually do any scouting for a bull. The WDFG shoots video of some of the trophy bulls in the state showing how big of trophy's are available then the winner usually hires some big guide service or local scabs that would turn their mother in for J walking to locate the bulls and sit on them until they can get there to kill it.

The sad thing also is the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation wraps their arms around these guys and say how great they are because of the donations they give them. If I sound bitter against these guys I am, because I have watched them ruin hunts for guys that have waited years for the opportunity to hunt a trophy bull. But because they can come in and "Buy" a tag anytime they want to spend the money screw the working guy.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There was also the tag holder that paid a certain guide service to make sure that a particular bull was watched all late summer and if any of the draw tag holders got close to finding it the guides would interfere with them so as not to get close enough to it to take it.
That sounds like the Spider bull that was killed in UT a few years ago. I read somewhere that the guy had over $100K invested before he shot it. It was the world record at the time but I don't know if it still holds it or not.

― George Orwell

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A five-minute Google search reveals Mr. Reichert to be a rich trophy hunter with an unscrupulous zeal for killing large elk. Big deal. sleep

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
737 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,980 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.