Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I think you enjoy being a PITA. I'm out.......

A pain in the arse, simply because we don't agree. Noted.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
You have some real gems in there Chipper:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/9669989/Searchpage/1/Main/671817/Words/Chipolopolo/Search/true/Re:_Hunting_for_the_experience#Post9669989

Last edited by JGRaider; 05/06/16.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've taken some nice North Americian game.
Alaska Moose, Idaho Elk, bear and deer.
Also, countless waterfowl and upland birds.
I haven't ever felt the need to mount any.
I have kept alot of horns.
Never hung any. Just not my thing.
I have eaten well, though.
I do have a ton of photos that line the walls of my gun room.
I plan to continue the same next year on my first safari.....

P.S. If I harvest a big kudu I might ship the skull.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've slowed down a bit on the taxidermy for a couple reasons:

My house is pretty much full, my office is full, my wife isn't a big fan, I have two daughters who, while they like to hunt, have no interest in keeping my taxidermy when I'm gone.

I enjoy the trophies immensely but it's getting tough to justify paying thousands of dollars for taxidermy that nobody will want in the future.

That being said, I have a crate of trophies from Cameroon coming soon and I'll mount a Lord Derby Eland, hartebeest, Red River hog and a roan but not sure what the hell I'm going to do with it.

I guess I'm starting to consider the big picture and I'm starting to move in a different direction as far as taxidermy.

It's not going to slow down my hunting though! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been managing this business for almost 25 years now. In the early years 100% of hunters took 100% of the trophy parts home plus flat skins and curios.

Over the last 10 years that has dropped considerably. Somewhere along the line the cost of a PG safari on your wall at home exceeded the cost of the trip itself. Today about 1 in 3 bring everything home. 1in 3 bring nothing home and the remainder bring home selected items. Actually in some seasons for us now over 1/2 the people bring home nothing.

I have multiple hunters come many times and bring nothing back. Saying I'm a hunter not a collector. " I can hunt much more often not spending the money on taxidermy."

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If you really want to get depressed over your mounts go to an auction for taxidermy. I attended an estate sale last weekend which featured taxidermy and guns. The guns brought good prices but the prices for the taxidermy were very low. Large 8 and 10 point Whitetail deer mounts in excellent condition were selling in the $75-$100 range. Two large Kudu mounts with 55 inch plus horns sold for $350 each.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I've been managing this business for almost 25 years now. In the early years 100% of hunters took 100% of the trophy parts home plus flat skins and curios.

Over the last 10 years that has dropped considerably. Somewhere along the line the cost of a PG safari on your wall at home exceeded the cost of the trip itself. Today about 1 in 3 bring everything home. 1in 3 bring nothing home and the remainder bring home selected items. Actually in some seasons for us now over 1/2 the people bring home nothing.

I have multiple hunters come many times and bring nothing back. Saying I'm a hunter not a collector. " I can hunt much more often not spending the money on taxidermy."

Hi JJ.

In all honesty, would you take a fire and forget client to "that last place we saw that 58" kudu?"

Or would you rather a client who is taking stuff home get the exceptional trophies?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting topic.

If one doesn't want to take a trophy home then why not just go on a photo safari or at the very least take home horns and skull caps and do horn mounts? Cabela's sells antler mount kits for a song that are do it yourself and easy to assemble. Why the need to kill an animal and just leave it? I know some will say nothing goes to waste in Africa if you leave it but that seems to me to be nothing more than rationalization of disrespectful behavior and poor sporting ethics. I know guys who refuse to kill game animals they can't take home and put in the freezer, a view which I may find a bit extreme but can certainly respect, killing animals just for a photograph, not so much.

Last edited by Squirrelnut; 05/06/16.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hanging heads on your wall doesn't make you a better person. It doesn't make you a worse person either. Its just a choice in momentos, or a choice in decorating at best. Should every hunter quit hunting when his walls are full? Should only trophy quality animals worth mounting be taken? Is the hunting experience solely judged on inches of bone? When viewing hunting as a whole only a tiny fraction of animals taken are ever mounted, or even had the slightest chance of being considered for mounting.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
JGRaider,

Ah, yes, as soon as I saw who started this thread I got an overwhelming sense of deja vu. Of course, the Campfire in general can provide that on any given day.

But when somebody basically posts exactly the same thing as they did once before, in order to re-recite their discerning tastes and ethics (and how many mounts they can cram inside their museum) it's not a question like ".280 vs. .280 Ackley Improved," but a mission statement.

I get an overwhelming sense of deja vu every time I read one of your snide responses.

Last edited by Squirrelnut; 05/07/16.
IC B3

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
Interesting topic.

If one doesn't want to take a trophy home then why not just go on a photo safari or at the very least take home horns and skull caps and do horn mounts? Cabela's sells antler mount kits for a song that are do it yourself and easy to assemble. Why the need to kill an animal and just leave it? I know some will say nothing goes to waste in Africa if you leave it but that seems to me to be nothing more than rationalization of disrespectful behavior and poor sporting ethics. I know guys who refuse to kill game animals they can't take home and put in the freezer, a view which I may find a bit extreme but can certainly respect, killing animals just for a photograph, not so much.

I think this quote sums up your question:

Death is essential because without it there is no authentic hunting… The hunter seeks this death because it is no less than the sign of reality for the whole hunting process. To sum up, one does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted.

At least, anyhow, for me.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Chipolopolo
Rather than hijack somebodies thread, I figured I'd start this as its own thread.

I would like to know this forums feelings about going to Africa, whacking a few animals and leaving everything behind.

Further, using those savings of not dipping, shipping, mounting everything to go back sooner?

Steve

It makes perfect sense and I wish I was more pragmatic. As a compromise I also like the skins and skull mounts. When the wife starts going "you have to get that one shoulder mounted" it gets tougher. Now I am out of space. On a few I am glad I got them mounted on a few I wish I had saved the money. Maybe if it is OMG you may want to think about a mount and if it is just representative of the species not.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by RAC
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
Interesting topic.

I think this quote sums up your question:

Death is essential because without it there is no authentic hunting… The hunter seeks this death because it is no less than the sign of reality for the whole hunting process. To sum up, one does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted.

At least, anyhow, for me.

This highlighted portion or your response is really my entire point. The killing in my view, isn't the end of the process. I feel it's my responsibility to see the process through in its entirety. Skipping big portions, simply to return to kill more stuff somehow seems cavalier.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My responsibility is to find the best trophy possible as all my hunters from this site will attest to. I have no responsibility or concern of what they do with the trophy parts after they own them.

Should they donate them to the camp or take them home is not relevant! I would not try to influence or try to push my opinion on anyone with the success in life that allowed them to achieve this hunt. I don't deal with idiots, uneducated folks or the financially limited folks frequently. Most have achieved some level of upper middle class status with a history of good life decisions. I'm in no position to second guess these people.

At this point they understand the financial element of the process to get that trophy on the wall 12,000 miles away. I'm highly interested in cooling all edible portions of the carcass quickly and properly. As well as proper preperation of the hide and horns should the hunter choose to keep them.

At this point, the decision is made by the owner of the trophy, and that is the hunter.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Rather than hijack somebodies thread, I figured I'd start this as its own thread.

I would like to know this forums feelings about going to Africa, whacking a few animals and leaving everything behind.

Further, using those savings of not dipping, shipping, mounting everything to go back sooner?

Steve

I would be more inclined to want the hide than the head.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

This highlighted portion or your response is really my entire point. The killing in my view, isn't the end of the process. I feel it's my responsibility to see the process through in its entirety. Skipping big portions, simply to return to kill more stuff somehow seems cavalier.

I don't think mounting trophies has to be a part of the process. A big part of the process is eating some of my kills. It is primal and as important to me as the stalk.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Unless you have your own museum or equivilent, eventually everyone runs out of wall space. At that point you get to decide if you are going to move, build on or otherwise let your taxidermy run your life. A couple of friends with homes planned around their taxidermy work have had an abrubt change of heart and claim that if they had it to do over again they wont have kept anything.

Leaving trophies is a mental hurdle. On some level people seek to turn a "profit" on hunting. A true meat hunter can't comprehend how someone can leave meat, even after it is explained that it gets used. A trophy hunter can't understand why everyone doesn't have scraps of hide and bone scattered around his cave. Still others have realized that they were just hunting for the experience and memories all along and don't need anything.

Ever ask a PH how many heads are hanging in his own home? Most have a few, but really just a tiny percentage of what they have taken in their life. Its interesting to hear the excuses, err "thought out reasons" why they don't keep everything they've ever shot, because its the same list reasons given by clients that are leaving or thinking about leaving theirs.

I've noticed that everyone involved in the trophy care and shipping biz believes that they have you over a barrel. Permits appear out of nowhere, shipping rates are whatever they want them to be, and the experience is somewhat like a hostage recovery. (Send the money or you'll never see the kud-alo again. Nice antel-phant, be a shame if something happened to it.)Then some are lost or ruined anyway.

Theres a liberating feeling in knowing that when you leave that you have spent the last nickel on that hunt.

Good post. That's how I see it as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Hanging heads on your wall doesn't make you a better person. It doesn't make you a worse person either. Its just a choice in momentos, or a choice in decorating at best. Should every hunter quit hunting when his walls are full? Should only trophy quality animals worth mounting be taken? Is the hunting experience solely judged on inches of bone? When viewing hunting as a whole only a tiny fraction of animals taken are ever mounted, or even had the slightest chance of being considered for mounting.

+1 again.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't like to shoot anything without utilizing something of it. Just me. In fact I can't really be brought to do that.

And I wouldn't be the one to travel that far and spend that kind of money to do it.

Especially when there is SO much in the US to experience first.

That said, there isn't a thing in the world wrong with pictures. Though I think I'd have to have at least a few skulls and or a few just tanned hides. I couldn't fathom shooting a buff and not bringing the skull back. But then if you've shot a lot of them, I get it, kind of like a hog here for me.

At the point of not bringing though, i'd be like ingwe.... I'd be shooting something to help the herd, culls and numbers, and leave the trophies for others.

Example I probably, at 51, shot my last whitetail buck trophy last fall. I won't find a larger one, where we hunt, and as such I'll shoot culls and does and I"m good with that, because it helps the herd and they eat really well.

I'd have a problem not being able to bring meat back from Africa personally. Guess I'm just weird that way. At least bring some back.

But in the end, its a personal question. Do whats legal always. The rest is up to you.

JJ gives some good info there. I would not have bet on folks going that far and spending that much money and time to bring nothing back.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's like deja vu all over again. From a past thread:

I believe that going to Africa or anywhere for that matter and NOT taking home your trophies, defines you as a killer rather than a hunter. My reason is that the cycle is not complete, the circle is not closed until the mount, whether euro, shoulder, full, whatever is in its final resting spot.

From a different thread:

The taxidermy is a fundamental part of the process, from which, in my opinion you cannot hide. If you Safari in Africa, anywhere in Africa and merely take a few snapshots and leave the rest there, you are devaluing the lives of these animals to a few megapixels on some SD card.

Is that who we really are as sportsmen? If this is representative of the demographic, perhaps the antis have a point.

If you go to Africa, take in the sights, the sounds and kill some stuff, take a few shots and walk away from the balance of your responsibility, you are in my opinion a killer only. Going on Safari, killing and walking away is no different than paying a woman for her services and throwing a few hundred bucks at her on your way out the door.

I don't know how anyone can honestly say "I have no animosity towards people who don't feel the way I do," while having the opinions stated above.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 48 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.