Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thoughts and prayers for all there.
we went through it last year and it was one of the most stressful summers of my life. God be with all the fire fighters.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I spent the last couple of days getting employees out of the area and settled in various evac centers. Thankfully they are all out and safe, along with their families. Three employees have lost their homes for sure. Uncertain if others have at this point. Seems as though our office in the area is also gone.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A couple points about that fire we can all learn from.

We are hearing that the radiant heat from the super-hot fire is what is igniting the houses. The radiant heat from the advancing flame front is NOT what is igniting a lot of the houses on fire.

In some of the videos, if you watch closely, you will see foliage next to houses igniting first. The main foliage that is igniting is JUNIPER. The juniper then burns with extreme intensity that it ignites the home. Once the first home is fully engulfed, then adjacent homes do get going by radiant heat.

My advice- If you have JUNIPER in your yard… REMOVE IT.. Plant some sort of deciduous foliage (lilacs etc) that are a lot less flammable. FireSmart Guides to Landscaping are available. They describe different plants by name and ranking as far as if they are non-flammable all the way up to extremely flammable.

Follow the fireSmart link below and do the simple things that cost nothing but a bit of sweat equity. Clean your gutters, rake dead leaves away from your house, prune any conifer trees in your yards up to a height of 6 foot (that should be your lowest limb), make sure your woodpile is not against the house in the carport.

More great information can be found at: http://bcwildfire.ca/Prevention/firesmart.htm

If you take the proper steps to help FireSmart your own property, its not a guarantee, but does increase your chances of your home surviving a wildfire like this. There are MANY instances of single homes within a subdivision, where the home survived, yet the rest of the subdivision was destroyed.

While I am on a roll, I was asked yesterday by someone, “Why does Northern BC and Alberta burn in May?” Slave Lake (450 homes lost occurred within 2 weeks of the Fort Mac fire, but back in 2011). The answer is, “The Spring Dip”.. This is a phenomena that occurs each spring once the snow leaves, all the dry accumulations are still on the ground AND most foliage (trees and shrubs) are at their lowest foliar moisture content of the year (very little moisture in the needles and stems).

Last edited by RickF; 05/05/16.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is a heartbreaker.
So sorry for all caught up in this, and
.....words fail me.

Cool rain, clean moist air, and courage be yours

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Best wishes to all in that area

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just checked the map...the fire is getting awfully close to my fishing hole! eek

Things look bad for the folks of Ft. McMurray frown

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bushrat
Originally Posted by colt357
Catnthehat is from there. Haven't been on the forum for quite a while. Was just checking here to see if there was any word of him. Hopefully him and his family and all others there are safe.

Catnthehat still lives in Ft.Mac, he has not moved. He is a moderator on the Alberta Outdoorsman forum and is on there off and on today. He and his family are safe and temporarily residing at his cottage near Athabaska until such time as it is safe to return to his home. I hope it is still standing.

I contacted Cat last night, he said he's fine but doesn't know if his home is still standing.
That's all I got - over&out.

[Linked Image]
Keep the Wind in your Face, Sun at your Back, & Silhouette in Shadows
Know guns, know peace, know safety
No guns, no peace, no safety

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Prayers for all those affected by this tragedy.I was near a fire similar to this in The UP years ago.It is hell on earth.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
We are in for a tough weekend. The fire is expected to double to over 50000 acres.
Praying for all the first responders.

Flyer

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It has reached 100,000 hectares...roughly 300,000 acres...and expected to double on top of THAT....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More prayers on the way for the folks caught in the maw of this monster.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Is it burning a lot of trees, with crown fires, or is it mainly a prairie fire?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Based on the news photos it was primarily a tree fire until it started burning buildings. I believe the present count is 1600 dwellings burned up.

Jim

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Is it burning a lot of trees, with crown fires, or is it mainly a prairie fire?

That area is Boreal forest and muskeg. There is potential even for it to burn underground for many years if it gets into peat moss. There are areas, mainly north of there, which are open as well due to reclamation activities.

We are already getting smoke in the Medicine Hat area where I live as the wind has changed. We are maybe 18 hours south of the fire.

Bad scene, prayers every day for all affected. If you get the chance to donate something, please do.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Howdy fom south of the firestorm !
This devil is s CAT6 fire and will more than likely be upgraded in time!🙀
This fire jumped the Athsbasca River at a point where it is close to 600 yards wide !
No words can describe what I went through getting my family out and I was not in too bad a shape compared to some .
As far as I can tell, from Google earth my house is still intact as is my son's and s friend's place who we originally thought had lost it.
Many have lost everything and have small kids etc.

However , to put things in place you must realize this about the people who live up here . We are a high majority of outdoorsman , tough as nails and very resourceful . To boot , a very high number of city residents are trained in first aid and industrial safety procedures .l and know how to deal with emergencies
Despite only one road north and one road out of the city until about 30 miles out, 88,000 people evacuated , an entire hospital was evacuated in two hours,a seniors home evacuated in one shot with two motor coaches ,5 construction camps opened up to house the evacuees,with two babies born in the process and NO LOSS of life !!

On Thursdsy night the wind changed and drove thr true south into the town of Anzac and forced the of the emergency shelters , Anzac, and the Fort McMurray first nations to the village of Conklin another 60 or so miles south .
However it has now shifted to the North east into the boreal forest area that is uninhabited , it is over 90,000 hectares now .
There were several fatalities yesterday down by Lac La Biche when a tanker hit an SUV setting off another fire .

This whole scenario is hopped off by many stories of people loading up their trucks and trailers with supplies and fuel and rolling north to help thise stranded on the road - simply unbelievable !!
BTW we have lost over 1,600 homes so far
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by catnthehat
Howdy fom south of the firestorm !
<snip>
Cat

Cat, I have missed your posts, but with the news of the fire I have been thinking of you and wondering how you were doing even more.

I have good memories of Fort McMurray and the people there. Many years ago, my truck broke down a few miles from town, and I do not think a single vehicle passed me without stopping to try to help.

Cat, please keep us updated with some more posts if you can.

John

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd say this expresses the attitude of Albertans and Canucks perfectly,;

http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/rex-murphy-fort-mcmurray-wildfire-1.3569425

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They are now reporting 156,000 hectares.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good morning :
Just got word that Syncrude has been ordered to shut down, and all personal are being evacuated along with their camp.
I am trying to find out if it is a general order or if it is s Syncrude corporate decision .
The fire is expected to double in size by this weekend
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cat: thanks for posting and keeping us up to date. We are watching this one closely with heavy hearts at Casa Ingwe.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,489
Posts18,452,075
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.