Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I would probably have never noticed it. I have a Sako 75 that doesn't have a perfect "cut out" at the ejection port. 257's rifle does look good....

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a question regarding McMillan personnel.....what happened to Kaye? She was there forever as well.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Did you guys with the Mountaineer stocks need to use longer action screws with your actions? I have a 700 action and when I take it out of the factory stock and put it in a Mountaineer, the front action screw is too short for any threads to start. The rear I can get the screw in maybe 2 turns.

Greg

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Nope, factory 700 screws and mag box worked just fine for the ADL.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My front action screw was too long with the Mountaineer versus a Hunter's Edge. Had to trim it down a bit.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Got my mountaineer over the weekend. Inlet for a M7

Action cut out is just like the OP's

Action screws worked but could stand to be a thread or two longer

Weight is just shy of 23oz (youth rifle - 12.75" LOP with a 1/2" pad)

Barreled action dropped in the stock weights 5lb 4oz

Going to put a 6x36 in Talleys and see what my 10 year old can do with it. 308 shooting Hornady Lite ammo

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by Hess
I get the one thing fits all theory, as I'm truly not on any sort of witch hunt...BUT a perfect left hand Mountaineer with a Bighorn SA inlet was shipped to my door as well. What are the odds of that being more popular than a beloved Rem 700?

If that's how it is, I get a stalk that is one of the best on the market, and I'm totally great w/that. Just interesting weekend gun talk.

Agree 100%. From a production efficiency standpoint, would expect them to eventually do the same thing for left hand inlets. Might be in a transition period. Will be interesting to see if the "OSFA" ejection port inlet gradually makes it over to the LH CNC inlet programs as well. Again, just a guess on my part.

Finally got my Mountaineer a week or so ago. Even tho it is inlet for Left Hand Stiller, and has a very nice left hand ejection port ... It also has the "One Size Fits All" ejection port inlet on the Right Side. Noticed this because the bottom of the LH Stiller bolt release pivot pin is hanging out in space above the stock line. Purely cosmetic. But disappointed...

Anyone else have McM Mountaineer inlet for a Left Hand action with the right side OSFA Ejection Port ?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
These kinds of problems are the exact reason I no longer order a McMillan stock "painted". I have them ship it unpainted with the understanding that after I've looked it over I'll send it back for paint. Once the stock arrives I'll go to work on the stock with a little Acra-Glas Gel bedding epoxy and some sand paper. When the barreled action fits properly, and looks right "cosmetically" back to McMillan it goes. Seems like a lot of fuss(I know) but that way I get what I want and what I expect and have no disappointments. Yes, costs me a little time and few bucks shipping but in the end I'm much more satisfied with the finished product.

I've had to send back a couple of stocks in the past that were just not acceptable as far as fit and finish(Believe it or not, McMillan will cut corners to save a buck). Also, paint can hide a lot of production mistakes. Unpainted, I get to examine the stock for flaws/imperfections etc. Anything that is wrong(but fixable) I'll just do it myself. Believe me, I've been burned in the past.

Having the bolt release pivot pin exposed above the stock line is unacceptable, IMO. For the prices McMillan is charging nowadays for a stock it ought to look right from the get go.

Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 06/12/16.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Looking at the OP's stock I wonder if the ejection port cut is a separate milling step and McMillan forgot to do it.

While the stocks are pretty solid items, stuff does get threw McMillan and its not that uncommon, I am probably around 10 McMillan stocks and I have had to send two back for mods.

In one of those situations McMillan sent me a Ruger stock where they had forgotten to make the relief cut above the trigger. If I had not owned a few stocks of the same pattern I might have thought it was just poor ergos, but as I knew what it was supposed to look like I contacted Dick and he took the stock back and had it fixed and repainted and did it pretty quickly.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Got confirmation from McMillan today. The "One Size Fits All" right side ejection port on the Mountaineer is part of the mold. Basically no cut required for RH actions. Unfortunately, given that it is part of the mold, that means that every Mountaineer stock will have the right side cut. Even the stocks inlet for Left hand actions...

I like the Mountaineer stock that I have in hand. However, that's a deal breaker for me. No more Mountaineers for this South Paw...

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,601 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.