Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Doing research for an area new to me. How many seek info from the local Warden and biologist? What questions do you ask? Have you ever dealt with either that were not helpful? Have found much research on herd migrations on line.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've contacted a few and they've been very helpful. It helps if you can show them you've done your homework, I think they respect that.

One was for pronghorn on the plains so most of my questions were on landowners willing to give permission to hunt.

One was for bear so my questions were on what they'd be eating and what elevation most would be during the season.

Last edited by smokepole; 05/07/16.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it depends on what you are hunting. Everyone and his brother asks every ranger/biologist "where are the elk?", "where are the deer?" and the stock answer is usually vague and diplomatic.

But when I got licenses for premium species (bighorn sheep and mountain goat) I got lots of help and very specific information, from the local biologists.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
As a former wildlife biologist I can tell you I always enjoyed speaking with hunters who were knowledgeable, polite, and considerate of my time. Don't ask for specific spots; instead, ask about general areas and guidance on seasonal movement patterns and things like that. Tell them which season you'll be hunting in and what general areas you are considering and you will get information on elevation, habitat types, etc. They may even tell you that area 'x' would be better than area 'y' for that season. Hunting is hunting and wild animals move where they move, so don't expect them to tell you which tree to sit by.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hunting is hunting and wild animals move where they move, so don't expect them to tell you which tree to sit by.
Something as simple as October weather can make a huge difference in where the elk are. We've had Octobers in the '80's and the elk are high and spend a lot of time on the north sides in black timber where it's cool. Other Octobers have had snow and very cold weather. No biologist can predict that 6 months before.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As long as one is not pursuing their favorite stump, I find them most helpful.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 57 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.