Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I worked for Southern Pacific RR for 5 years. We use to cut and drill ties fairly often.

If you do need to cut the ties, make sure that there are no rocks embedded into the tie, no date nails, or spikes that might have broken off.

They'll tear your saw blade up in a heart beat.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
GB1

Wook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you for all the replies! I knew that I could count on you guys. I'll let you know how it goes.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I went on a service project where we built tent pads from used ties. I had to cut dozens. There is really only one way to do it and that is with carbide. I used a carbide chain in my saw and one other guy used a carbide demo blade (14") in his gas powered cut-off saw (wicked dangerous). Drilling is ok until you hit something and then you can fight an auger through. We drove the rebars through with sledge hammer.

Make sure you get some geo-fabric if going 5' high and make it safe. I have built a lot of engineered retaining walls and they all specified this.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Yup, carbide chain is where it's at. Expensive, but re-saleable after you soak it in gas to remove the creosote.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I built my tie walls using 1 1/2" rebar outside- didn't need to drill the ties. Not as pretty, but nobody ever told me I was.
The yard where I bought the rebar cut it to spec for me; breezed through it with a torch.
Chainsaw did fine for my relatively small jobs.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cut your chain oil with diesel. And someone with a squirt bottle to keep it wet helps also.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I thought thin oil was not good at all on bars? But in this instance it may well help.

Never heard of this.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495

About what I figured, nothing to worry about.

Struck me as nasty. Keep in mind when you are cutting it you'll be reducing it to an inhalable dust, first, and second you'll be burning a little of it.... I did not enjoy working with it and my body said, "bad!"....

But hey, I know some of you salty old bastids dip your stale bread in kerosene.... grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
well, fwiw I've built a bit of fence, thats all posts used to come in around here.... and we've done a lot on power poles at work too, and here at home as fence posts also.

My body had never said bad at all.

Of course I don't get down and breathe the dust of anything I cut, but have not worn a dust mask etc.... when working with it.

Full cover clothes, avoid skin contact RE burns.

Never ever felt bad after days of working it.

YMMV but I still say until its over rated as to teh danger issue.

But then again we used to spray agent orange on fence lines too... and it probably did cause grandma and grandpa to head to their reward early, both only made it to the early 90s.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
well, fwiw I've built a bit of fence, thats all posts used to come in around here.... and we've done a lot on power poles at work too, and here at home as fence posts also.

Of course I don't get down and breathe the dust of anything I cut, but have not worn a dust mask etc.... when working with it.

But then again we used to spray agent orange on fence lines too... and it probably did cause grandma and grandpa to head to their reward early, both only made it to the early 90s.

But realize JO has a full load of idiot on board, adding a delicate constitution is easy to accept...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Yeah... I don't know how bad it's rated so I don't know if it's overrated as a hazard. smile I cut it, and would again, if I had to... but it was nasty. To be minimized (IMHO).....

Cut a lot of treated wood building my house. NastiER. The stuff that really got my attention though was Hardiplank siding. Doesn't take much dust from that stuff (silicosis) to where I'd actually feel tightness & pain in my lungs. I was glad to be done with THAT.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Windows won't lick themselves.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Yeah... I don't know how bad it's rated so I don't know if it's overrated as a hazard. smile I cut it, and would again, if I had to... but it was nasty. To be minimized (IMHO).....

Cut a lot of treated wood building my house. NastiER. The stuff that really got my attention though was Hardiplank siding. Doesn't take much dust from that stuff (silicosis) to where I'd actually feel tightness & pain in my lungs. I was glad to be done with THAT.

Holy crap? Dust from hardiplank made you feel that way? I"ve never used a mask, when I likely should have, but then I would always watch the wind etc....

You might should get some input from the doc if things like hardi dust and treated dust and creosote give you chest tension, you may have CPOD or such

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (264mag, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 32 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,338
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.