https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
BP-B6

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've read good things about the .22's but haven't shot one myself.

My .17 Hmr Does around 1" at 100 yards with Hornady ammo and seems to do even better with all the CCI I've tried but the CCI suffers extraction issues so I haven't shot it near as much.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Brother in law purchased one for his grandson. They are not rifle "loonies". They have only positive things to say about the rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very comparable to the m77/22 in terms of accuracy. I'm getting great results from my 22 WMR. I've heard of guys having extraction issues with the 17's, but have not had a single hiccup with my RAR rimfire. I can almost keep up with the guys running their 10-22's at our golf ball shoots: Meaning, mine runs pretty damn smoothly....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Brother in law purchased one for his grandson. They are not rifle "loonies". They have only positive things to say about the rifle.

Well, I'm a rifle looney fer' shure.

[Linked Image]

got the hat to prove it. LOL

Although I've owned quite a few Rugers of the rimfire, bolt action center-fire and #1's, I'm not a dyed-in-the wool Ruger fan.

A couple months ago just before I went on the 24hr Campfire hog hunt I picked up the RAR in 22WMR.

[Linked Image]

I am much impressed. I scoped it with a Bushnell Elite 4200, 3-9.

I'm using 30 gr. CCI TNT Maxi-Mags. Zero'd at 50 yds. Not a 1 holer but under an inch.

[Linked Image]

Anywho I limited out the first day on hogs. I had the RAR with me and started shooting cow-birds at +/- 60 yds. Was 4 for 4 at that distance.

We shoot out of stands and I've started taking it with me quite often and sniping small stuff if I get bored.

The synthetic stock and price make it a take anywhere/anytime
sweetie.

In fact I like it so much I just picked up a RAR Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor to try.

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 05/08/16.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fotis,

Had the 22 LR version. Shot better than my 10-22 but not quite as good as my CZ 22 LR. Not enough difference between it and my CZ 22 LR to get excited about. I only sold it as I intend to pick up the threaded version. I really like the magazines and having the same ones for my 10-22 and the RAR. Benched groups ran 5/8" to 3/4" at 50 yards.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I bought one in 17 HMR and a buddy bought one in 22 LR.

I have not had a chance to shoot mine yet.

He has shot his but feeding is a huge issue and accuracy is terrible.

This is why I ask looking for trends.

μολὼν λαβέ

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Fotis,

IMHO, your buddy needs to send that rifle back to Ruger.

I have the 22lr Compact and it shoots really well, particularly with CCI 40gr Standard Velocity RN.

Mine wears a fixed 8x Leupold and I have fired 3/8" groups at 50 yds and ~1 1/4" group at 100 yds.

See the comments here;

LINK

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Fotis,

IMHO, your buddy needs to send that rifle back to Ruger.

I have the 22lr Compact and it shoots really well, particularly with CCI 40gr Standard Velocity RN.

Mine wears a fixed 8x Leupold and I have fired 3/8" groups at 50 yds and ~1 1/4" group at 100 yds.

See the comments here;

LINK

Ed

I agree. Mine feeds flawlessly and is pretty damn accurate. Send that SOB back...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
He is in the process of sending it back to Ruger.

μολὼν λαβέ

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are good for what they are. I wish they used the same style barrel as the 77/22 for aftermarket options. I also wish the stock had a rubber recoil pad.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
77/22's are now threaded.....

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My 17 had feeding issues. Some would jam with the bullet hitting right below the chamber and the ones that did feed were rough. A small piece of aluminum ( may have been two pieces of pop can, can't remember) below the front v-block straightened it right out. Feeds very well after that.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fotis;
Good evening to you sir, I'm sorry to read your buddy's RAR didn't work out well.

We picked up a Compact in .22LR for our eldest daughter last spring and our initial tests showed it wanted to shoot.

Here's a photo of the targets she shot at 27 paces, shot off of a rest which was placed on a pickup tailgate and she shot them standing/leaning.

[Linked Image]

It seemed to be a bit more ammo picky than my old Brno No 5, but when we fed it what it liked it surely shot well.

Hopefully that was useful for you or someone out there sir. Good luck with your RAR whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BC30cal

It seemed to be a bit more ammo picky than my old Brno No 5, but when we fed it what it liked it surely shot well.

Dwayne

Wow, one of few fellow #5 owners I've bumped into! Got a pic?

I love mine and at least several days a week I knock off a rabbit or two with it.

It shoots just about everything from hi vel shorts to Z Longs into an inch or better at 60y. What a classic.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
bobnob17;
Good morning - early tomorrow morning at that I see - to you sir, I trust this finds you acceptably well.

The No 5 in our safe is stamped 1958 and somewhere along it's lifespan someone modified the dovetails to accept standard 3/8" rings. There is also a slight internal bulge/ring in the barrel about 4" back of the muzzle - but neither issue keeps it from shooting quite well.

As I understand it they were put together from parts on hand and sold as military training rifles to Syria, Egypt and someone else who escapes me at present.

Mine came with a checkered - if one could call it such - beech stock that was cracked at the toe and not in overall grand shape.

While I kept the original stock, I cobbled together one that looked a tad nicer to my eye and more importantly fit me a bit better too.

[Linked Image]

It's now wearing an El Paso Weaver 4X instead of the straight tube 3X in the photo.

Thanks for your interest in the rifle sir and if you're so inclined I'd not mind seeing yours as well.

Thanks in advance and all the best to you folks.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I've got one that's the most accurate 22 I have owned.
I make regular squirrel kills out past 60 yards with CCI subsonic.
it's nickle accurate at 50.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
nice!

μολὼν λαβέ

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
No problems feeding and plenty accurate in the 22LR version that I've seen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dwayne mine is also a 1958 model I believe! I can check the serial number to confirm but what a coincidence.

About 8 years ago I didn't have a 22 of any sort somehow, and mentioning it to a mate he said he knew someone who had a used 22 that he had no use for.

Believe it or not I traded a case of beer for it, the guy wouldn't take a cent. I've tried to pay the gift forward at every opportunity.

The rifle is only in fair to good nick as far as presentation goes, but mechanically it is A1 and very accurate.

It is in between scopes at present; the old Weaver that was on it recently failed so its got a little Nikko at present which is providing adequate service.

Not great photos, but you get the idea...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Light was not great on the verandah this afternoon so sorry for the poor piccy.

All the best.

- Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 58 invisible), 3,139 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.