Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
E
[img:left]http://[Linked Image][/img] [img:left][Linked Image][/img]
Don't know if these pictures will work but I've had my Mchale for 5 years and have hauled some really heavy loads in it and feel that it is simply the best piece of equipment I own. With that said when I get another one, hopefully soon, there are some different modifications I'll have done.

GB1

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
E
[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
One more pic, this was a heavy load, and when we got down to our cache it became even heavier. 4 days it took us to get out out packs were all approaching 150lbs. plus. I had a Mchale,one buddy had a Kifaru, the other a Barneys pack. Before we made the strip Kifaru buddy had to modify the lumbar pad and was in pain, buddy w/ the Barneys was just plumb miserable, the other two constantly had to decide what hurt worse their shoulders or waist. Once we made the strip, we had 4 days before the plane was to arrive, guy w/ the Barneys never went more than a hundred yards from the tent till we were picked up, he was pretty much crippled. I know this all comes down to proper fit, but that's what you get w/ a Mchale and proper design. Now I don't claim to be a superman, backpacker extrodinare, I don't spend 100 days a year backpacking, actually the last two years the only time I put the pack on was the day I walked away from the strip, and it's always performed just as expected. The only problem is I don't get to use it as more.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Ernie, interesting review. What would you have done differently?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I had Dan build me a Full Dyneema Pack,It is the largest pack he makes cant remember the name offhand.I had him build it alittle wider at the bottom,had him do a double bottom,a strap inside the pack to keep meat close to your back,two large side pockets,one large center pocket,and a camera pouch but had them made out of squared kevlar?material.Those extras were from advice from Ernie Scar and checking out his pack.
Great pack no complaints.

If I were to do it again,I would probably not do the Full Dyneema due to cost,great fabric if cost doesn't matter.My pack is designed for 10 day+ sheep hunts,so I went very large.Pack extends high with bayonets and snow collar,it is compact in pic.

Attached Images
523_753_IMG_0573.jpg (71.63 KB, 1593 downloads)
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Got anymore pics Coues32? Why the squared kevlar material? What does it weigh?

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The material might not be kevlar,I'll have to check his website,it might be spectra.The checkered material is alot cheaper then the Full Dyneema.It was very expensive to upgrade the material for the pack,so I had the extra stuff made out of the cheaper stuffI'm having fun trying to resize my photos.sorry

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by coues32
The material might not be kevlar,I'll have to check his website,it might be spectra.The checkered material is alot cheaper then the Full Dyneema.It was very expensive to upgrade the material for the pack,so I had the extra stuff made out of the cheaper stuffI'm having fun trying to resize my photos.sorry

Do you think the weight tradeoff is worth it for the Dyneema?

If you have a photobucket account it will resize automatically for you. If not download Irfanview. Its a program that lets you resize really easy. Heres a link. http://download.cnet.com/IrfanView/3000-2192_4-10021962.html

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I think the squared material is as light or lighter then the Full Dyneema,not sure on the other material offered.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The full dyneema is heavier than the lightweight dyneema ripstop. The full dyneema is about the weight of ordinary packcloth but is incredibly abrasion resistant. I've got the full dyneema bottom and shoulder straps on mine. Having that stuff on the bottom means I don't worry about dragging the pack for short distances over rock. The grid dyneema stuff is very rip resistant but is not abrasion resistant.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
The bonus with Dyneema/Spectra is the abrasion resistance and strength for its weight. The stuff is remarkable. However, it is also expensive and difficult to color. The Dyneema grid fabric is standard lightweight nylon fabric with Dyneema grids woven in for extra strength and tear resistance.

Dan generally provides a full Spectra bottom standard on his packs. On my pack I added a Dyneema kagaroo pouch on the back as I like to lay my pack down on its back typically. Beyond the bottom and back, I've never had any wear issues with any previous packs so I opted for standard 500d Cordura for the the remainder.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Awesome. Any more updates from your experiences? I'm thinking of getting one (or two) of his packs smile

Thanks!

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Here's a followup thread once I got the pack:

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4711476/1

I'm planning on doing Part III once the hunting season wraps up later this month.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Excellent. I look forward to hearing your part 3 smile

Best of hunting and life success!
Cheers,
CL

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by russ_outdoors
Here's a followup thread once I got the pack:

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4711476/1

I'm planning on doing Part III once the hunting season wraps up later this month.
Any more updates or feedback on McHale Custom Packs?

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.