Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by elim
well you guys are to late.I just ordered a LBP36 in full brown cuban (or what ever he calls the new dyneema material)

Pics or it didn't happen. wink smile

I can't wait to see it Elim. I'm sorely temped to go this route. I'm a died in the wool Kifaru fan, having had a great many of their packs and gadgets over the years (and still do). Plus, they are an outstanding group of people. But there are a few things that are heavily swaying me towards the McHale this time around.

Last edited by Jedi5150; 02/10/12.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just got ride of a new Kifaru ku3700 when I ordered the Mchale.I am kind of a picky guy and being able to call Dan and be able to get what ever options configured how I wanted was huge for me.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
As I understand it, Cuben and Dyneema are two different types of fabric. My guess is Dan is using Dyneema in the high wear/stress areas and the lighter Cuben for the rest.

elim, keep us posted on how the pack turns out. Using Cuben and Dyneema is cutting edge pack construction.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by russ_outdoors
As I understand it, Cuben and Dyneema are two different types of fabric. My guess is Dan is using Dyneema in the high wear/stress areas and the lighter Cuben for the rest.

elim, keep us posted on how the pack turns out. Using Cuben and Dyneema is cutting edge pack construction.

Somewhere on his website (I'm going to start taking notes on where I find things for later reference wink ) I saw there was an update that 100% Full Dyneema packs were no longer going to be available, due to the shortage of material. I'm guessing that 100% full Spectra packs will still be available, but that is only a guess. Do you guys know if Spectra is also white like Dyneema? I've heard they are the same thing, but I believe he said they come in two different weights. I'm hoping for white to be the main pack color if I order one.

As a side note, I recently got new rifle plates for work. I wear a kevlar concealment vest under my shirt, but the new plate carrier is with Dyneema plates (stacks of dyneema made into a hard plate). That stuff is IMPRESSIVE. I've seen it shot first hand (for testing). A 3 lb, 10"x 12" plate of Dyneema will stop anything up to and including 308 Winchester FMJ, 5.56 FMJ., etc. at muzzle velocities. I think it's cool that packs are made out of it too. lol

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Spectra and Dyneema are white and considered to be "un-colorable". They do not take dyes or other coloring like standard nylon or polyester.

If you get on Cilo Gear's website you'll quickly notice their S/D pack bodies are all white. There's a reason for that.

Having said that, Dan has a special process where he colors his S/D material. Some have referred to it as "painting", but only Dan knows how he does it and he ain't talkin. The down side is the process is not colorfast. Some of the coloring will disappear over time. I've noticed the gray on my pack has lightened a few shades in some areas.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by russ_outdoors
Spectra and Dyneema are white and considered to be "un-colorable". They do not take dyes or other coloring like standard nylon or polyester.

Well, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and this is the color scheme I fell in love with (photo off of McHale's website):
[Linked Image]

In fact, although this is one of the biggest packs (bigger than the S-SARC if I remember right), is it set up very similar to how I would like the LBP to be...two-layer summit lid, expedition pack and water bottles, and the same color scheme (white body, grey pouches, black webbing).

If the grey will eventually fade, I immagine he has other fabrics for those areas that would be similar in color...

PS- Russ, I sent another PM about sizing, you might have missed it. wink

Last edited by Jedi5150; 02/10/12.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I just got ride of a new Kifaru ku3700 when I ordered the Mchale.I am kind of a picky guy and being able to call Dan and be able to get what ever options configured how I wanted was huge for me.

Why did you get rid of your KU 3700? I love mine, it replaced a ULA Catalyst as a hiking pack. I had hopes Kifaru would come out with a simple (no idiotic sleeping bag zipper) 5000 cubic in pack with a backpouch but it was not to be. A McHale looks like the only game in town if that is what you want.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Why did you get rid of your KU 3700? I love mine, it replaced a ULA Catalyst as a hiking pack. I had hopes Kifaru would come out with a simple (no idiotic sleeping bag zipper) 5000 cubic in pack with a backpouch but it was not to be. A McHale looks like the only game in town if that is what you want.

You and I are in agreement about the sleeping bag compartment zipper. That is why of the new Timberline series the T3 was the only one I was even considering. The two larger ones have the zippered main compartment. And I do really like the bellowed slot pockets (would work perfect for my camera tripod).

My two biggest selling points for the McHale over the T3 or KU packs both center around personal style. First, and I know this is very picky sounding, is color. My friends at work make fun of me because all I wear even off work is earth tones...khaki pants, black or coyote jackets, tan boots, etc. But when it comes to backpacks, I really like a pack that is not so...what is the word..."tacticool". Multi colored packs appeal to me (even if they are just shades of grey, black and white smile ).

Secondly, the way the McHales so successfully take one pack and make it fit a wide range of conditions. When I backpack, I get to my camp for the day, set up my tent and gear, and then go exploring/ picture taking. The McHale, with the P&G system, dumping the top lid and expedition pouch, etc., really makes that happen well from what I've seen. There are other minor points, but those two are the biggest things swaying me towards a McHale at the moment.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Very nice.

After a few years now, any of you have updates as to McHale for Hunting packs?

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
Very nice.

After a few years now, any of you have updates as to McHale for Hunting packs?
I'd be curious too. I have a Stome Glacier and am looking at a Seek Outside pack for possible purchase, but still hear great things about these McHale packs.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Super SARC with the P&G frame extensions in green/white grid Dyneema w full Spectra shoulder straps and bottom I use for backpacking. Never used it for hunting though it would fit an elk quarter inside nicely. I think it is 4500 cu in. I guess I never wanted to get blood on it hah. It carries like a dream. I have all the Kifaru KU pacs and prefer the KU2200 for day hiking. Over the years I've used pretty much all the Kifaru packs as well as Stone Glacier, Exo and Seek Outside. I have a Peregrine now as well. Seems like I use the Kifaru or Exo packs for hunting the most. I like the load shelf idea and the Stone Glaciers have this as well. Backpacks are a personal thing and what fits me and works well for me may not work for you. I don't do a lot of heavy packing anymore but the McHale SARC is a very nice backpack and carries extremely well with 3 or 4 days worth of gear in it. I like the belt and suspension and without the lid you can suck it down for day hiking. The only downside to a McHale pack is the cost but you get what you pay for and the cost of Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Exo is not far behind. The best value out there may be Seek Outside. Not quite as costly and carry a load extremely well. You just have to see what works for you in the end.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bought my CM II in 2011 and have been using it every year on Stones Sheep hunts, as well as lots of goat, caribou, deer and antelope hunting. I used to use a Kifaru LongHunter Guide and the Mchale is a huge improvement for carrying heavy loads for me. Might be just my body shape, but the CM II harness system is on another level for heavy load comfort. Other people I’ve hunted with, including my brother, have bought Mchale packs after witnessing and trying mine. The packs they replaced were Kifaru’s, Mystery Ranch and Barney’s.
It is the one piece of gear that I would never get rid of unless it was for another Mchale pack.
Mine is full Dyneema and apart from looking a little faded and dirty, it has no cuts, holes, abraided patches or frayed threading. I’ve never torn out a strap, popped a zipper, or broken a buckle, and this pack has carried many rams, goats, deer and caribou.

Last edited by mod7rem; 11/22/19.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mod7rem
I bought my CM II in 2011 and have been using it every year on Stones Sheep hunts, as well as lots of goat, caribou, deer and antelope hunting. I used to use a Kifaru LongHunter Guide and the Mchale is a huge improvement for carrying heavy loads for me. Might be just my body shape, but the CM II harness system is on another level for heavy load comfort. Other people I’ve hunted with, including my brother, have bought Mchale packs after witnessing and trying mine. The packs they replaced were Kifaru’s, Mystery Ranch and Barney’s.
It is the one piece of gear that I would never get rid of or trade unless it was for another Mchale pack.
Mine is full Dyneema and apart from looking a little faded and dirty, it has no cuts, holes, abraided patches or frayed threading. I’ve never torn out a strap, popped a zipper, or broken a buckle, and this pack has carried many rams, goats, deer and caribou.

Since the McHale doesn't have a load shelf, How do you pack out of the backcountry with meat? For instance, do you place your tent, sleeping bag, clothes food etc. into a drybag outside of the pack and carry the meat in meat bags inside or something else?

Thank you!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My pack has a removable shelf that separates the to and bottom of the pack with a heavy access zipper across the middle. If I’m carrying meat and gear, I’ll pack my sleeping bag, cape and anything else compressible into the very bottom(in a sil-nylon bag) and put a bag of meat on top of that. Then more meat in the top half on top of the shelf and pack as much gear and clothing behind it to keep meat close to my back. Then extend the top of the pack and stuff gear in. With one ram between two guys it’s no problem to have everything in the pack except for the head. One animal each and some things get strapped to the outside like tripod, etc.
If the loads are so big that I have to strap a bunch of stuff on the outside, then it’s too heavy for me and I make more trips lol. Strapping a big caribou head to the pack is a little trickier than with an external frame but doable, and for me the comfort of the harness system more than makes up for it.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,806 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.