Rmart30 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Originally Posted by Reloder28
The black chrome is pretty cool.
Upon further review, it appears this finish is much softer than HC. And offers much less corrosion protection.

That is correct but it is much more protective than standard blueing. They told me it wasnt near as popular a option as the regular HC. More people were ordering black cerakote so they dropped it from the line since cerakote was easier and cheaper for them to do than chroming.

I would have liked to given it a try and see how it did.
Id rather have had a darker finish than the matte HC but I really dont think it, or SS has ever been a disadvantage for me when hunting. (I know blued vs SS for hunting is a whole other topic in itself.) Even if I thought that was a issue id still go HC and just use camo gauze to cover the barrel during season just to get the corrosion protection of the HC.
My main stalk hunting rifle is a SS model 7 with a silver scope and Ive shot more game with it at under 100 ft than longer distances.

The rifle Im having them do next will be done in brushed HC instead of the matte so I can compare the different finishes.
The brushed is supposed to be a darker shade of grey.

I know HC isnt for everyone. In all the years of being on forums I dont think I ever saw another thread go into much depth on HC. I just wanted to show everyone what it actually looked like on a hunting rifle since Id never seen anyone else post one up.

Below is the write up that was on their website prior to them dropping the black hard chrome.

Black Chrome Facts

Black Chrome is the second hardest black finish available for firearms and the hardest finish available at a reasonable price. It is the premier finish when concealment is the first priority.
Black Chrome has many of the same properties as regular chrome. However, in changing the plated deposit from a Light Grey color to Jet Black, we diminish two major properties of regular chrome, hardness and abrasion resistance.
Black Chrome is slightly harder than Nickel. It was never intended to be a highly wear resistant finish, like Hard Chrome. It has much greater wear resistance than any form of Bluing (Black Oxide) and due to the presence of Nickel, or Chrome, as a base coat, a greater corrosion resistance than a single coating of Chrome, or Nickel the to the base metal.

Some of our clients are adamant about Black Finishes. This is the best bang for your dollar if you are stuck on Black. For technical reasons we only offer this finish in a Matte surface texture.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TAG

Molan Labe
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by EdM
These guys also do great work.

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/

Yep they did mine & it looked great.

IC B2

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Rmart30
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Will HC work on SS? Will it prevent galling?

http://www.apwcogan.com/plating-and-refinishing/finishes-metal-finishes.html

Holy Moses whoever wrote that needs to look up the word brevity in the dictionary!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My first Jarrett rifle, about 30 years ago, was industrial hard chrome plated as an option. Jarrett sent it off to a firm in Texas IIRC. Added $200 to the cost, and was well worth it. It never scratched, dinged, etc...was as tough as a pigs nose.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Wow, I'm liking it.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Looking for a place that does the Black Hard Chrome. From what I gather off the internet is that many of the treatments are actually black nickle and not as hard. Some of them even call it "Krome".

Or would Melonite be better?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I'd be inclined to just go with a nitride finish instead of black chrome. Melonite or whatever other trade name it's under.
It can be done on polished or blasted surface finishes.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Waiting on more pics. I really would like to see how the plating was done one the bolt it interest me.thanks for the topic but please take more pics this weekend. I think this might be a great finish on my next build. Also would they plate the bowl on a dillon powder dispenser and bushing bar. Might just spruce up the dillon as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Rmart30 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Marlin 22, HC, Rem model 7 .. The Marlin is by far the shiniest one in person.

[Linked Image]

R
Rmart30 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Very cool pic thanks for the bolt shots. I am goint to try it on my mext build.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Alf very nice rifles 👍🏻👍🏻

R
Rmart30 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by fredIII
Very cool pic thanks for the bolt shots. I am goint to try it on my mext build.

Mahovsky I may have to look into. Looks to be slightly cheaper.
My 2nd one is already on way to Accurate plating.

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/PriceSheet%20Page%205.htm

R
Rmart30 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
My 2nd 700 came back about July of last year. I decided to instead of matte to get it done in the polished option to see how it looked While it does look like a nice deep chrome for a hunting rifle it is too reflective for my taste but would be nice on a range gun or handgun. I used gunskinz to camo the barrel so wasnt a big deal. Its a easy on, easy off decal in multiple camo or other pattern types.
My 3rd 700 is on the way to them for matte hard chroming now. Im very satisfied with the way the finish is holding up on the other 2.

https://www.gunskins.com/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Has anyone had a rifle DLC coated? I've got a Precision Armament muzzle brake that came DLC coated. It's rugged and super easy to clean.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 160user, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 3,032 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.