Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S

24" barrel with Leupold VX2 3x9 scope. This rifle has a recoil pad and shows moderate use, dings, scratches in stock and some loss of blueing. I will try to get a photo. Neighbor wants to sell it for $800.00. Would appreciate any suggestions on what to offer for this rifle.

TIA

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With the scope, that is an attractive deal.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would like to see photos but it's pretty safe to say for me I would probably buy it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Totally depends on how original it is. If it's been "professionally" reblued and refinished and has a G&H side mount, bubba'd recoil pad, etc. etc... I'd probably pass. It all depends on condition and originality..... Pictures are always worth a 1,000 words... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like it's probably worth what he's asking.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
OP Offline
S
I'll get photos tmro morning and post them and see what you think. Thanks for the opinions so far.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you are looking for a shooter, it is probably worth the money. As described, it has no real collector value, but should be a good, solid hunting rifle.

donsm70

Last edited by donsm70; 05/08/16.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by donsm70
If you are looking for a shooter, it is probably worth the money. As described, it has no real collector value, but should be a good, solid hunting rifle.

donsm70

I'm not going to comment on the weight except for the fact that I much prefer the FWT rifles. However, I don't mind heavy rifles. I just bought an 8 pound (all up) sporterized m1917 30-06 that I much prefer to a std wt pre 64 model 70... If I'm going to pack a heavier rifle, It might as well be one I'm more comfortable with... The rifle in question is probably worth the money, in the grand scheme of things. Although, I've bought some very nice/original pre 64's for far less money. Just sayin..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Would never be able to get by the pad....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Me neither. As for a G&H side mount, that would be a strong selling point to me. Don't knock that system until you've tried it. A rifle such as a M70 (or any of the other "classics", such as M54, Springfield, Mauser) fitted with a receiver sight is a joy to carry- lacking a big old scope squatting atop the receiver makes it much more to conducive to staying in one's hands where it belongs, not constantly slung over the shoulder. Slip the scope on when long(er) range shots present themselves- it only takes a second- and be confident that the G&H system will guarantee solid replication of zero.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Unmolested Standard .270s in used condition are pretty commonplace in that price range. A little patience will be rewarded....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The scope is worth $200. So the gun is being sold for $600. I think you are definitely in the ball park of a fair deal. It is an excellent hunting rifle. The recoil pad doesn't change that.

Besides, every schmuck should have at least one pre-64 270.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The recoil pad did not dissuade me from buying my $700 pre-'64 in .30-06. In fact I wouldn't want to shoot one much that didn't have a pad.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Me neither. As for a G&H side mount, that would be a strong selling point to me. Don't knock that system until you've tried it. A rifle such as a M70 (or any of the other "classics", such as M54, Springfield, Mauser) fitted with a receiver sight is a joy to carry- lacking a big old scope squatting atop the receiver makes it much more to conducive to staying in one's hands where it belongs, not constantly slung over the shoulder. Slip the scope on when long(er) range shots present themselves- it only takes a second- and be confident that the G&H system will guarantee solid replication of zero.

gnoah, you are a lucky sob then. I've ran across rifles that have been drilled for the G&H side mount and they were in the $500.00 ball park. I remember going to a local show and seeing a nice pre 64. Its only downfall was that receiver that had been drilled. They guy couldn't sell it for 3 years. He finally found a buyer. I remember picking it up a few times and getting excited because of the price tag, only to find out it was an old familiar friend that I'd checked out before... laugh

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That sounds like a great deal to me. I have a very nice STD 270 that had a white line Pachmeyer pad that I replaced with a reproduction Winchester pad. I wouldn't sell mine for $800

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a pre war std ..270, used, drilled, and padded that 800 will not buy. Yes it is heavy, but who cares? I'm old, not likely to walk more than a hundred or so yards to watch either a feeder, food plot, water, or a game trail (my favorite). It shoots good and was originally purchased by a friend of the family, then owned by Cousin, then passed to me when Cousin died.

Partly sentiment, but I'm thinking fw barrel, a decent stock, and gifting it to grandson. It has another 75 years in it, I'm sure.

Best, Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jt402
I have a pre war std ..270, used, drilled, and padded that 800 will not buy. Yes it is heavy, but who cares? I'm old, not likely to walk more than a hundred or so yards to watch either a feeder, food plot, water, or a game trail (my favorite). It shoots good and was originally purchased by a friend of the family, then owned by Cousin, then passed to me when Cousin died.

Partly sentiment, but I'm thinking fw barrel, a decent stock, and gifting it to grandson. It has another 75 years in it, I'm sure.

Best, Jack

That's cool Jack. These old rifles were made to last generations...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If I were looking for a shooter and it was made in the early 50's and had the Monte Carlo stock I would buy it. That sounds like a fair price between neighbors.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pal
The recoil pad did not dissuade me from buying my $700 pre-'64 in .30-06. In fact I wouldn't want to shoot one much that didn't have a pad.

[Linked Image]

Pal, I'd buy one like that in a heartbeat. EVEN with the recoil pad installed. Cuts down on the recoil and makes it more pleasant to shoot anyway... I'm still waiting on pics. OP, are you going to post any???

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.