Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
New Jersey to Ban Import and Possession of CITES Trophies

"New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has issued a conditional veto on two bills that will make the importation and possession of CITES species by New Jersey residents illegal. The original bills are being amended but are expected to be approved and made effective by May 26.

In their original drafts, New Jersey Senate Bill 977 would prohibit transport, possession, import, export and sale of Big Five species, and Senate Bill 978 would prohibit possession and transport of Big Five species at Port Authority of NY and NJ airports and facilities.

Christie’s veto would still allow for the transport, import and export of Big Five species in New Jersey that are not remaining in the state, but prohibit possession of trophies staying in New Jersey. Hunters who already have such trophies will be able to keep them without having to register them with the Department of Environment, as required under the original bills. Christie’s veto also removes Cape buffalo from the list of prohibited species.

In his letter to the NY Senate on each bill, Christie says, “Importantly, with my amendments, these bills prospectively would prohibit a person from importing parts of covered species (including the African lion) and keeping them in our State. Of course, no state legislation could ever by itself outlaw trophy hunts conducted overseas. There are significant questions whether such bans help or actually hurt wildlife conservation. If these bills are returned to me as I propose, however, we can be confident that the body parts of endangered animals will no longer be welcome in New Jersey.”

The two bills were written by Senator Raymond Lesniak. In the Assembly they were sponsored by Assemblyman Tim Eustace. In a statement on the conditional veto Lesniak said, “The governor’s conditional vetoes have only minor conditions that do not impair the effectiveness of the legalization…. Those violating the law will be subject to severe criminal and civil penalties.”

New Jersey sportsmen who have pending shipments of these species or have booked safaris for these species should immediately contact John J. Jackson, III, of Conservation Force for assistance. The Hunting Report urges all hunters to support Conservation Force now in its efforts to counter such legal maneuvers by the anti-hunting interest groups. Call 504-837-1233 or visit their newly redesigned website at www.conservationforce.org."

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're a NJ resident who loves hunting and shooting, you need to become a 'former' NJ resident.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by moosemike
If you're a NJ resident who loves hunting and shooting, you need to become a 'former' NJ resident.

If I lived in NJ, can't see that ever happening, I would be challenging the law. If AZ can not have stricter immigration laws than the federal laws then how can NJ have stricter importation laws than the federal laws. Aren't they in effect trying to regulate interstate commerce?

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have two hunting buddies that were born and raised in NJ, but left after college.
They wouldn't move back with a gun to their head.

NRA Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bigger point is how pathetic Crispy Creme is to hunters... and making him aware stupidity should hurt him.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Just another harassment of decent Americans by those who aren't.

Making a legal activity (possession of a prior hunted trophy) illegal ex post facto is a Bill of Atainder, blatantly unconstitutional. After 5 years and $100K of legal fees you'll get exonerated.

So they harass hunters because they are mostly Republican.

Any hunters who are not Republican had better become same. The Democtat Party is the class enemy of your family.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
By the way, I meant real Republican, not a RINO like Christie (though I note that Christie has slightly modified the bill in our favor).

But...isn't Christie now a Trump guy?

What does Trump have to say about this?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
By the way, I meant real Republican, not a RINO like Christie (though I note that Christie has slightly modified the bill in our favor).

But...isn't Christie now a Trump guy?

What does Trump have to say about this?

Considering his sons are hunters and have taken the Big 5, hazard a guess?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since banning these is solely within the purview of the Federal Government, I can't see that it will stand, and there'll no doubt be injunctions stopping it almost immediately.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
550 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.