Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Got back from Kodiak a bit over a week ago. Had a wonderful 10 days with mostly decent weather to celebrate our anniversary and totally content to head home with just a great trip when on the last night to hunt we spotted our first good bear we had seen since the 3 we saw the day we landed at 6 pm and it was 2.5 miles away on the GPS. We beat feet over where we saw the bear go into the alders and not come out and found him in his bed.

Got within 180 yards and waited 10-15 minutes for the bear to get up. Finally it did and my wife shot once with her 308 win and it rolled twice down the hill into the alders and never moved.

The bear was just icing on the cake.

As for being over gunned I know Art is a fan of the 25-06 with the 80 grain TTSX, but my wife wanted a bit of insurance so we when a full 100 grains more and used a single 180 grain. wink

And still it was more gun than what water rats wife uses for all her bears in a 300 Savage.

I was a bit bummed I didn't get in on any follow up action as the once shot behind the front shoulder as it woke up from its nap to stand up rolled it up, but not that bummed when I found it rolled up in the alders when I went to go look for it.

Anyways, great trip and here is a pic:
[Linked Image]

GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Alright Luke....I've been waiting almost a week now to hear measurements, as my guess before I saw a pic was 10'2". Spit some numbers at as!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats to your wife and you on a great bear. You know "everyone knows" you need a 375 or 416, at least that is what we apparently have learned here on the fire wink

What 180 gr bullet did she actually use?

Gerry.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Sounds like a great trip. Nice bear. Congrats to the wife.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Way to go !

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Got back from Kodiak a bit over a week ago. Had a wonderful 10 days with mostly decent weather to celebrate our anniversary and totally content to head home with just a great trip when on the last night to hunt we spotted our first good bear we had seen since the 3 we saw the day we landed at 6 pm and it was 2.5 miles away on the GPS. We beat feet over where we saw the bear go into the alders and not come out and found him in his bed.

Got within 180 yards and waited 10-15 minutes for the bear to get up. Finally it did and my wife shot once with her 308 win and it rolled twice down the hill into the alders and never moved.

As for being over gunned I know Art is a fan of the 25-06 with the 80 grain TTSX, but my wife wanted a bit of insurance so we when a full 100 grains more and used a single 180 grain. wink

And still it was more gun than what water rats wife uses for all her bears in a 300 Savage.

I was a bit bummed I didn't get in on any follow up action as the once shot behind the front shoulder as it woke up from its nap to stand up rolled it up, but not that bummed when I found it rolled up in the alders when I went to go look for it.

[Linked Image]

Holy Cow,, congratulations you guys!! What area were you hunting,, looks like you have plenty of alders,,'

Your bride is a crackshot!!!

I tend to use more than enough gun
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What a fabulous bear! Congrats to your wife. Great shooting!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Congrats to your wife on her trophy!

Congrats to you on your trophy wife!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Congrats! That is way cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations to your wife!

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Goes to show its the indian and not the arrow.

Job well done!!

Congrats all around and a beautiful bear!!!!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outstanding

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations, Looks like a keeper. Your wife that is. --- Mel (and what a dandy bear)

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Way nice bear! That girl did well!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
She's a keeper for sure---Real nice bear too----Conglads.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dang, the lady did pretty good for using a pea shooter.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Gorgeous! Great pic.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Nice Job! I'm glad the trip all worked out. And the 308 with 180 grains is my go to Afognak Elk gun - so I love that you used it on a big bear. Patrick

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Congratulations! Waiting until the last day has its benefits.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Congrats!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Way to go Luke and Becca! You two need your own tv show!

Last edited by bigwhoop; 05/09/16.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Congrats !

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Fantastic job!
Congrats to your wife and you.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
What a great bear. Lady's got nerves of steel!

Congrats to you both!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very cool in so many different ways. Thanks for sharing. Good break from politics etc.The real work begins with the beast on the ground. How did things go after the big guy hit dirt? I'd love to do this with the bride, but I'm not sure she's up to it.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nice bear and congrats to your wife.

What were your dates there?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
308s are magic on bears for some reason!

Good job

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stunt shooting! How could she dare shoot a bear with a short action cartridge!?!?!

Very, very nice!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I'm not susprised. When you consider that before outdoor writers infected most sportsmen with magnumits the 30/06 was the standard caliber for hunting in Alaska and a lot of the rest of the world.

Of course beck in those days Americans were marksmen. Sounds like your wife still is a fine shot too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Out-freaking-standing!!! Congrats to your better half!

Great bear. And shot it with a what? That can't possibly be right - nearly everything I've read says you need a minimum of................................ whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Top notch! Thanks for the pic.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for sharing the results of your very successful hunt! Proof once again that on an unsuspecting bear a well-located shot of sufficient caliber will do the job. Congratulations on a fine hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nicely Done...

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Damn Luke, congrats to Becca! Was she using the protected point partitions? Is this the RL17 loads you were posting over at Aod a couple years ago? That is a hell of a bear!

Eat moose, burn spruce
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That is very cool!

When my kiddo gets home from school I am going to show her your wife's bear. She shot her first elk last December with her .308. A one shot kill.

This story will simply reinforce what I have been telling her, that the rifle we built her will serve her for a lifetime.

A big congratulations to your bride!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got stopped on the Richardson Highway for roadwork a few years ago. Lone, young lady way out in the middle of no where doing the flagging. We had a half-hour wait and she proceeded to whip out her phone to show us a picture of her Kodiak bear she had just shot. The young guy with me was raised in Kodiak so she got a kick out of the whole thing.

Unlike Becca though it was her first big game hunt!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, and it was not as big...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Oh, and it was not as big...

That's what SHE said Art. But I'll bet you get that a lot. smile

Bwahahaha. Sorry, got up too early this morning!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Got stopped on the Richardson Highway for roadwork a few years ago. Lone, young lady way out in the middle of no where doing the flagging. We had a half-hour wait and she proceeded to whip out her phone to show us a picture of her Kodiak bear she had just shot. The young guy with me was raised in Kodiak so she got a kick out of the whole thing.

We've had some cool conversations at construction zones, assuming the boss doesn't show up and chew the flaggers for talking to the drivers.... LOL.

I figured the one time it was nuts, we were first in line stopped and the gal had about 6 other vehicles behind us stopped... what harm was talking.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to hunt with an oldtimer out of Wasilla who used a 308 with 220 partitions. He said it was the "American version of a 6.5 Swede with 160 grain round noses," and "killed all out of proportion for such a small bullet."

He used a BLR, if I recall right, having "modernized" from an old 45/70 shooting 405 grain Remingtons.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great job!

How cool your wife likes to hunt with you

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent. Well done

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Nice bear and congrats to your wife.

What were your dates there?

April 22-May 2nd.

Thanks man

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pittu
Damn Luke, congrats to Becca! Was she using the protected point partitions? Is this the RL17 loads you were posting over at Aod a couple years ago? That is a hell of a bear!

No had great plans this winter to get a load worked up with 200 NPTs or 180 NPPT or 180 a frames. However procrastination got the best of me this winter and it never happened. So ended up just buying several brands of 180 grain factory loads and the 180 Federal Fusions grouped the best in her gun so thats what she went with.

Ideal bullet choice? Maybe not but it worked.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Right on Art!!! Yeah Becca's confidence with the her rifle has really increased the last couple years and especially all the shooting she did this winter in prep for the hunt. Something just clicked for her and her form became a lot more natural when shooting from field positions at the range and as a result her groups reflected that improvement as well.

She was setup pretty rock solid for the 180 yard shot and stayed like this for the 10-15 minutes waiting for the bear to stand up. I got bored and took pics and video while we waited but she stuck with it watching the bear play with the alders above it with its paws while on its back.

Def proud of her for making I good shot. I was back up but there was no need. I told her make the first one count as any of the follow ups I might get in it is just a bonus.

This is how she looked for the 10-15 minute wait once we got setup:
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its amazing how once the teaching becomes understandable to anyone, the form snugs up and the groups do too...

I usually have to use wording along the lines of relax, flex, don't lock your joints, just get more along the lines of relaxed and the shooter will still have to figure it out, even if you show them on your form over and over.

Good job all the way around!

Going to have a big writeup sometime on a blog or such?

I can't wait to become a resident and smack one and I bet the taxidermy on some beast that big is going to be flat fun and time consuming to do... I just messed around getting my moose READY to put the hide on last weekend... took a lot of work with something that big. I can only imagine a bear.

Be proud of her man!!! Carolyn is envious on our end, though I think her killing days may be over.

You two are what we wish we were at your age!!!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That image is priceless!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
You've been teaching her HERESY!

That tape on the barrel is supposed to be blue!

She did great, BTW!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

[Linked Image]

Outstanding job on what looks like a very good bear. Congratulations Becca!!

What the lady did is even more impressive when you realize how much she is struggling with a stock that is too long for her. Man her neck must have been a wreck after 15 minutes in that position. She is definitely tough, no doubt about it. She is probably taking more punishment from that rifle than the average guy does.

A suggestion from 50 years of experience: if that is actually her own rifle, maybe she should look into shortening the stock so she does not have the crawl the stock so much, and maybe can see through the scope without so much stretching. I recognize that position 'cause a full length stock does that to me. Simply whacking an inch off my stock the first time I tried it immediately shrunk my groups down a lot, and made me very much more consistent. A bonus was I could work the bolt without removing the butt from my shoulder. With newer firearms, now the length of pull is even longer than back then, so the strrrreeeeetch is nearly impossible. It is much easier to "relax" to shoot if you are not struggling with stock fit and eye relief on the scope.

Maybe have her check her length of pull. It might be enlightening. That one change can make a real difference in accuracy, comfort, speed of target acquisition, and ability to support and control the rifle. One of these days that could be really important.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sir, it's not even in her shoulder to shoot! It's pushed forward several inches to balance more on the pack while she waited for the bear to stand up.

It started life as a 13.25" LOP now down to 12.5" and it helped a lot. The gun actually fits her quite well. But thanks for the ideas.

Last edited by alaska_lanche; 05/14/16.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats what I was thinking too, just pushed out there and kinda chilling just waiting. Not at all tucked and ready to shoot.

But he had a good point.

Though I feel that I know you both enough from reading that Becca would have her own rifle and it would be fit to her!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fantastic job! Wish my wife was inclined thataway.

LOL
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sir, it's not even in her shoulder to shoot! It's pushed forward several inches to balance more on the pack while she waited for the bear to stand up.

It started life as a 13.25" LOP now down to 12.5" and it helped a lot. The gun actually fits her quite well. But thanks for the ideas.

Then my hat is off to you both. That is great to hear. (It would fit me well, too.)

When I see a photo with a gal all stretched out like that, I can't help but comment since it makes so much difference. It is so often overlooked.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Kids are the same way stock wise... folks to cheap to cut a stock, put a pad on , put the extension b ack on and so on... or buy a new stock as they grow.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I agree. Which is why he had it cut down for her to fit her. Can't hold it ready to shoot the whole time, but she wouldn't put the gun down so she made it a bit more comfy scooted the gun forward and would alternate between watching with the naked eye and checking occasionally through the scope until it started to stir and then she got into position again as did I which is why there is no pics of her at the ready to fire position....I was playing backup not photographer though apparently I didn't need to wink

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Congratulations to you both
Great pics...

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I was playing backup not photographer though apparently I didn't need to wink

smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations! Awesome bear! Are you sure it wasn't a 375…? laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EricM
Congratulations! Awesome bear! Are you sure it wasn't a 375…? laugh

Bet the bear "thunk" it were...

wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes! Congratulations. That is a dandy bear. Always enjoy your stories and this one is extra good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've read u can't kill a bear with a .308.... laugh

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atvalaska
I've read u can't kill a bear with a .308.... laugh

it's well documented, it's a physical impossibility

heck that probably ain't even his wife blush grin

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Curious, what were you "Backing her up" with? A .30/06? LOL
Reading all the hunting rags, I'm surprised that 308 didn't just bounce right off the bear!!

Great Job, wonderful photos and write up!

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hancock27
Curious, what were you "Backing her up" with? A .30/06? LOL
Reading all the hunting rags, I'm surprised that 308 didn't just bounce right off the bear!!

Great Job, wonderful photos and write up!

Close guess....338-06 with 250 A frames

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
That is very cool!

When my kiddo gets home from school I am going to show her your wife's bear. She shot her first elk last December with her .308. A one shot kill.

This story will simply reinforce what I have been telling her, that the rifle we built her will serve her for a lifetime.

You're welcome. grin

But, I think you promised me a picture... whistle

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Wow, very nice.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
NICE bear! Congrats to Becca.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!

A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,915 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,975
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.