Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not that it's fair or just, after all it is the law we're speaking about

Still it seems safety is a goal of the law

Safety of the animals. I've no doubt if anyone could just come up & hunt anything there'd be more wounded unrecovered game

Safety of state budget again open up the gates to anyone & sar calls would increase

Nope it's not fair. Plenty of guys outside capable of hunting any species up here

But many more that are not

No shortage of folks that live here that don't have the skills or knowledge to go after the forbidden 3

I truly do hate it for folks that have all the means necessary to hunt here except the willingness to part with 20k to do so

But I have no interest in just opening up the floodgates with an invitation y'all come on up & hunt

Hate gov't regulation for the most part but game needs to be regulated as its a finite resource

Also think there's too many guides & outfitters after that limited resource and that the number & areas they work should be limited

But gov Walker don't phone often for my opinion

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

I truly do hate it for folks that have all the means necessary to hunt here except the willingness to part with 20k to do so

But I have no interest in just opening up the floodgates with an invitation y'all come on up & hunt

Hate gov't regulation for the most part but game needs to be regulated as its a finite resource

Also think there's too many guides & outfitters after that limited resource and that the number & areas they work should be limited

I agree with you all all the above and think the state shot themselves in the foot when they decided exclusive guide areas were unconstitutional and opened all state lands to all guides and Transporters, with no limits on the number of hunters they could take. That is one area where the Feds did a better job.
I do think the current economic situation however will somewhat slow demand for expensive ( aren't they all ? ) Alaskan hunts, which will likely cut back on both the number of hunters and guides. I know it has really slowed demand for African hunts.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
This what I do not like as a Resident it is punitive to the Resident if I take my out of state Brother for a hunt. Seems like a big loss for the residents.

Quote from original article.
(The board passed the APHA proposal that restricted nonresident next-of-kin sheep hunters to only being allowed to hunt sheep once every four years. And then the board passed the other APHA proposal, the end result of which is this new regulation: “Brown bears, mountain goats, and sheep taken by nonresidents that are personally accompanied by resident relatives within the second degree of kindred will count towards the bag limit of both the resident relative and the nonresident.”

So now if my nonresident brother wants to come up here to hunt sheep with me, he is limited to doing so once every four years, and we don’t ever have an opportunity to both harvest a sheep. Or a grizzly/brown bear or mountain goat.)

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
kk, that is true, but what the law does is it allow residents to effectively "guide" their relatives so that they don't have to hire a guide. Guides are also forbidden to hunt during the entire time they are under contract. While you both may not harvest a sheep, goat or bear, at least you could shoot deer, moose or caribou on the same hunt while a guide can not. And to look at the bright side, you could hunt with him one year and he could come back and enjoy a hunt with you another year.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I'm very far back I mucho prefer 2 guys to haul out 1 sheep

Hell it may not be a preference anymore may be a necessity

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
KC, you actually believe that NRs would kill as many critters without guides? On the average?

Regardless, I'm not thinking the guide requirement is rooted in a desire for increased NR success.

Talus:

I can't speak for all nonresidents. But I guarantee that I could kill mountain goats, sheep, and grizzlies without a guide. I know exactly where I would go and how I would do it.

I suppose that there are some nonresidents and residents for that matter, that are a danger to themselves any time that they venture into the wilderness and they probably need a guide. I run into people like that occasionally. But there's no reason to penalize all nonresidents because of a few weaklings.

Like I've stated before, those laws are just there to put money into the pockets of the guides.

KC

HORSESCHIT!!!

It is stupid MFers posting pictures of cubs in the barditch that shut down black bears to drawing hunts! Call it any way you like it but claiming ANY special skills after that photo is pure horseshit!

While against the basic rules and the way they play out, there is still plenty of room to call the shots where they need to be called.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think we currently have he best system going if you are a non-resident, even though I agree that many if not most NR could do it safely. It is about the availability of game. If you'd go to a non-guide requirement, everything would suddenly become a 1% draw for those 3 species. If you want that, push for it. Personally, I'd rather work overtime for a few years and squirrel away the 15k for a sheep hunt rather than wait 25 years to maybe draw a tag.

As mentioned with lower SE AK bears, is that mass non-residents were showing up and a good portion of them killing the first bear they saw. I had the displeasure of taking a handful of them fishing, and I said never again. I've never met a more unethical and clueless bunch. Wounding loss and sow kills were taking a huge toll on the population. KC and his group are the perfect example of NR hunters. They killed 3 bears, one of them borderline mature, and 2 cubs if I remember correctly. Well, extrapolate that out over the hears and hundreds of hunters and you have a problem.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Calvin
Agreed on most of that and to be fair to KC, though I still find his SE dinkathon "special" in a lot of ways, the cubs and immature bears taken were not as tough on the population as older bears as the population had very little invested in those animals. It was the sheer numbers that really did it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Throw in a training program for the nr and do not let them slide because they attended class. Develop a competent score which has to be reached and throw in some practical time demonstrating the required skills.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,918 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,975
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.