24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 32 33
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Scott, Ed's just a 'party pooper'! Probably wouldn't want to do anything if he came to Quemado, but eat, sleep, tell lies, and shoot guns. Folks like that can be...

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm not bringing my green horn buddy from inner city St Louis or my ammo bag this year either!

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jon, what ARE you bringing??

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Some pictures from last year.

Ponderosa pines, crisp mornings, elk chirping alarm clocks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
THANK YOU RICK FOR MAKING THIS THREAD A STICKY! smile smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
I'm not bringing my green horn buddy from inner city St Louis or my ammo bag this year either!

Hey, Jon! Last we heard, you didn't even have an ammo bag anymore! grin

Did you do the elk hunt and how did that work out?

Bring the family. If my wife and daughter (age 7 now) are back from Japan, I plan to include them.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986

Did you finally figure out where the bag went to? Or is it long gone ?

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dennis and I think we have settled on the important details of the shooting events/contests. Additional info may come later. Shown below are the the lineup and the requirements. Good shooting - have fun.

FRIDAY AFTERNOON TUNE-UP SHOOT
2:00 pm – Turkey Rimfire Shoot

Shooters may use any rim fire sporting rifle with open or aperture sights (no scope or lighted lens sights) from any hunting position, but not from a bench or stationary rest. Sitting, prone, free-standing shooting sticks, tripod, etc. are OK. Once at the firing line, total time allowed is 4 minutes. Target will be a reduced-size picture of a turkey at approximately 30 yards, with a colored dot at a vital place. Smallest 5 shot group having at least one shot within the dot scores highest. There may be second and third place winners.

FRIDAY EVENING COMPETITION SHOOT
4:30 pm – Long Range .22 Rimfire Shoot

Shooters may use any .22 Rimfire sporting rifle, any sights and shoot from any position. Total time allowed once at the firing spot is 5 minutes. Shooters will fire five shots at an appropriately sized orange circle at a distance of approximately 150 yards. The shooter firing the smallest 5 shot group having at least one shot within the orange circle scores highest. There may be second and third place winners. Shooting bags are not provided. If you plan to use bags, please be prepared with your own.

SATURDAY COMPETITION SHOOTS
9:00 am - Prairie Dog Shoot

Shooters may use any sporting firearm, any sights, and shoot from any position. Total time allowed once at the firing spot is 3 minutes. Shooters will fire one shot from a cold barrel at a simulated PD with 1/2" dot on chest at a distance of approximately 200 yards. Shot closest to the center of the dot is the winner. There may be second and third place winners. Shooting bags are not provided. If you plan to use bags, please be prepared with your own.

10:30 am (or as soon thereafter as possible) – Steel Shoot
This will be a 6 SHOT match where multiple steel targets of different sizes and at different ranges will be engaged. Scoring is based on the color of the targets. There will be three colors worth 10, 8 and 5 points. Highest point total wins. Match must be shot from a field position (no bench rest). Bags, shooting sticks, bipods, tall tripods are allowed. Adjustable tripod style front bench rests are not allowed. Rifle can be any caliber but is limited to a case capacity similar to a 30-06 (to save the steel). No AP bullets allowed. Rifle must be a sporting rifle, not a match rifle. No sight restrictions. Total time allowed once at the firing line is 6 minutes.

1:00 pm - Dangerous Game Shoot
This match will involve a moving target at less than 50 yards. There will be a total of 3 shots available. Rifle must be a legitimate dangerous game type rifle. Minimum caliber is 9.3mm. Minimum energy is 3600 lbs-ft. (9.3x62 full power loads) No reduced loads in larger calibers. Shooters must use open or aperture sights - no scopes. Action can be bolt, double or single shot. No lever actions. 45-70s, 405 Winchesters do not qualify. This is a work in progress and will be tweaked as we set up the range.

KEN HOWELL REMEMBRANCE

Ken always did his best to visit us during these summer gatherings, at least for an afternoon or so. It seems fitting, due to his recent passing, that we do something special this summer in remembrance. Following on a great suggestion by one of our loyal and long-distance participants, you are encouraged to bring any Howell rifle – chambered in one of his cartridges and/or one of his many gifts to Campfire folks – to show and share for shooting by others. Bring ammo too. At a later time we will announce just when during the weekend this activity will be featured.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Man am I sorry that I am going to miss this. The shooting plans look great.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
yeah Ed, there are those of us sorry you can't make it either... really did enjoy meeting you at Roosevelt Lake in Feb....you definitely make a fine addition to the crew...

personally sorry to see both you and Ed Too Many Letters can't make it...

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Wii take the 9x57 and the .450 Howell if it's ready. Still have some bugs to work out on the .450.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
there was a fellow at the lake roosevelt gathering that shot a reminton model 14 in .30carbine. And I can't remember his name. If he sees this or someone knows who it is appreciate letting me know. thx.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I'm thinking it must be nifty-two-fifty or possibly EdM.

Kent

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
EdM is the oil guy, Ron.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
EdM is the oil guy, Ron.

Geez Dennis,

Is that all I am? I am retired now and short of a bit of RDS stock I like cheap gas. Well, not really... grin

Next summer, with our last son off to college prior, I will work to book this trip before heading north. I truly enjoyed my first trip to Tonto this year and with son #3 in college my wife and I should be able to haul the trailer and join.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I remember the remington, cause i have one. But not like his. It was made to replicate a rifle made for the canadian mounties. Barrel had been chopped to 18inches, and a nice peep installed on the back of the reciever.
I was watching the sight in on that scoped rifle, and he pulled the carbine out and first round rang the gong. We were both laughing. Pretty good for a 100 year old rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That was me with the 30 Rem carbine. I had a great time at the Tonto Basin get-together.

I am keeping Armijo Springs in mind as a possibility. I would sure like to make it if the stars will align for it to work out. It will be a fine group of folks, for sure.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
That was me with the 30 Rem carbine. I had a great time at the Tonto Basin get-together.

I am keeping Armijo Springs in mind as a possibility. I would sure like to make it if the stars will align for it to work out. It will be a fine group of folks, for sure.

sending you a private messasge
by the way i got my rifle back. the fellow just had too much going on in his life to make rem30 brass out of 30.30 brass for me.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/13/16.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

"Fine group of folks"?

I've been there - "renegades" is more fitting! smile smile smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mark shubert

"Fine group of folks"?

I've been there - "renegades" is more fitting! smile smile smile

The "other" group of "America's Most Wanted"... whistle

Page 3 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 32 33

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,908 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.