Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Here's a short video of Gunner's Kudu hunt last September-October. You know it's a nice animal when the tracker PH both get excited like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCICwu_q9Rs

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Jerry, didn't you then shoot it 10 or 12 more times, checking the penetration? They cut that part out :-)

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks again John. smile

laughBiebs, well, yes I did, I even tried the famous tailpipe shot I learned from a man from Florida right here on the 'fire. grin

That 400 gr Woodleigh Weldcore soft point left that rifle at 2255 fps and absolutely pulverized that Kudus shoulder and exited high on the opposite rib cage due to the angle he was standing at, saw it up close and personal in the skinning shed.

The shot came quick, we ran out of cover and for some reason that bull turned and looked back, he knew something was trailing them, he just didn't know what. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good job, Gunner!

Is that your 416 Taylor?

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gunner you are one killin' SOB over there... grin

.Nicely done and congrats on a fine bull!

You shooting a 404 jeffrey or similar?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Don and Bob, that was my 400 Whelen, 400 grs at an accurate 2255 fps on the '06 sized case is a true testament in efficiency and power.

In fact, my PH Kobus proclaimed that rifle [with it's accompanying solid loads] to be the perfect low Bushveld hunting rifle.

I was pleasantly pleased to hear that. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Biebs
Jerry, didn't you then shoot it 10 or 12 more times, checking the penetration? They cut that part out :-)

Naw, they didn't have a front end loader to heist him up for gunner to use as a bullet testing carcass...

He only does that kinda stuff in OK when no one is looking, surely not in Africa with his PH watching and a camera running... shocked

On safari, you gotta act like you got some class... blush

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Speaking of class, I'd like to apologize to everyone for the chest hair, it was 40 deg celcius, IIRC that's over 100 degrees Fahrenheit and we were on about mile 8 at the shot. blush

The bull measured 56" and 56-5/8th" I later learned how damn lucky I was. grin

It's a very humbling place, I am still grateful for the experience.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[quote
On safari, you gotta act like you got some class... blush
DF [/quote]

For Gunner, that might be too much to ask!!! :-)

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Beat ya by 16 seconds. laugh

Trump Won!
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Super hunt and trophy, gunner.

Congratulations.

You done good.

You even make it look easy, I'm sure it wasn't.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I've never worked that hard to spend a little money in my life DF, work usually pays me. grin

Every hot, sun burnt, dusty, dirty, thorn bush mile was well worth the positive mental state you leave there with, and don't mention the memories, they're there several times daily.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Loved that one too gunner. What a fantastic kudu bull. I never get tired of looking at them or hunting them, so thanks for sharing another great adventure.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
Thanks Don and Bob, that was my 400 Whelen, 400 grs at an accurate 2255 fps on the '06 sized case is a true testament in efficiency and power.

In fact, my PH Kobus proclaimed that rifle [with it's accompanying solid loads] to be the perfect low Bushveld hunting rifle.

I was pleasantly pleased to hear that. smile

IMO Kobus was right. It was about perfect for where you were and for the game there and a lot of other places in Africa.

I sure enjoyed the video, and it's a very nice animal.
cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Beautiful kudu, sir.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on a fine hunt. Makes me want a .400 Whelen real bad grin

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That kudu has a beuatiful set of horns on him. Great work and nice video. I noted the nast croc in the opening. That'll make you stay out of the water.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Outstanding, Jerry!

Beautiful animal. You certainly look like you're enjoying yourself there. grin

As to the chest hair, I just figured you were doing your impression of Stewart Granger.

[Linked Image]

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice kudu, Gunner.

You whacked him properly! smile

Thanks for the chest fur warning!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thank you JG, I've later found that a lot of folks have made repeated trips to Africa in search of a Kudu bull that size, I later saw some pics of 60-64+" bulls that were mind boggling. smile
I can register no complaints, only gratitude.

L2S, yes, the little 400 can reach 250 long yards with ease, that'd cover a lot of hunting situations, this 400 build and load development was one of the easiest on record so far for me, it has been quite enjoyable, especially when one punches above it's weight class.

Jorge, Thanks you too Sir, glad you liked it.

HBB, you best call SARCO and get an action and git one built, you'll love it if you're in need of a heavy medium bore, they're fun to shoot and recoil is very well mannered.

Thanks Hatari, bet you have a half dozen Kudu mounts like ole Biebs, damn right on staying on the dirt, as hot as it was, and as much as I wanted to take a dip in the river, I chickedchitted out. grin

Hey Ed, you're able to see the pleasure behind the work in progress facial expressions, you ever consider professional poker? grin......................shoulda shaved that mess beforehand, it may sound crazy, but while there in the bush hunting, it makes you want to take your damn shirt completely off and hang it in a back pocket, guess that's why Tarzan never wore a suit. laugh

Hello FishN4Eyes, thanks for the compliments, that little 400 gr Woodleigh did not dissapoint.............and you're welcome on the bear hair captioning. blush grin

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 2,208 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,710
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.