Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Here's a short video of Gunner's Kudu hunt last September-October. You know it's a nice animal when the tracker PH both get excited like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCICwu_q9Rs

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Jerry, didn't you then shoot it 10 or 12 more times, checking the penetration? They cut that part out :-)

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks again John. smile

laughBiebs, well, yes I did, I even tried the famous tailpipe shot I learned from a man from Florida right here on the 'fire. grin

That 400 gr Woodleigh Weldcore soft point left that rifle at 2255 fps and absolutely pulverized that Kudus shoulder and exited high on the opposite rib cage due to the angle he was standing at, saw it up close and personal in the skinning shed.

The shot came quick, we ran out of cover and for some reason that bull turned and looked back, he knew something was trailing them, he just didn't know what. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good job, Gunner!

Is that your 416 Taylor?

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gunner you are one killin' SOB over there... grin

.Nicely done and congrats on a fine bull!

You shooting a 404 jeffrey or similar?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Don and Bob, that was my 400 Whelen, 400 grs at an accurate 2255 fps on the '06 sized case is a true testament in efficiency and power.

In fact, my PH Kobus proclaimed that rifle [with it's accompanying solid loads] to be the perfect low Bushveld hunting rifle.

I was pleasantly pleased to hear that. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Biebs
Jerry, didn't you then shoot it 10 or 12 more times, checking the penetration? They cut that part out :-)

Naw, they didn't have a front end loader to heist him up for gunner to use as a bullet testing carcass...

He only does that kinda stuff in OK when no one is looking, surely not in Africa with his PH watching and a camera running... shocked

On safari, you gotta act like you got some class... blush

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Speaking of class, I'd like to apologize to everyone for the chest hair, it was 40 deg celcius, IIRC that's over 100 degrees Fahrenheit and we were on about mile 8 at the shot. blush

The bull measured 56" and 56-5/8th" I later learned how damn lucky I was. grin

It's a very humbling place, I am still grateful for the experience.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[quote
On safari, you gotta act like you got some class... blush
DF [/quote]

For Gunner, that might be too much to ask!!! :-)

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Beat ya by 16 seconds. laugh

Trump Won!
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Super hunt and trophy, gunner.

Congratulations.

You done good.

You even make it look easy, I'm sure it wasn't.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I've never worked that hard to spend a little money in my life DF, work usually pays me. grin

Every hot, sun burnt, dusty, dirty, thorn bush mile was well worth the positive mental state you leave there with, and don't mention the memories, they're there several times daily.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Loved that one too gunner. What a fantastic kudu bull. I never get tired of looking at them or hunting them, so thanks for sharing another great adventure.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
Thanks Don and Bob, that was my 400 Whelen, 400 grs at an accurate 2255 fps on the '06 sized case is a true testament in efficiency and power.

In fact, my PH Kobus proclaimed that rifle [with it's accompanying solid loads] to be the perfect low Bushveld hunting rifle.

IMO Kobus was right. It was about perfect for where you were and for the game there and a lot of other places in Africa.

I sure enjoyed the video, and it's a very nice animal.
cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Beautiful kudu, sir.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on a fine hunt. Makes me want a .400 Whelen real bad grin

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That kudu has a beuatiful set of horns on him. Great work and nice video. I noted the nast croc in the opening. That'll make you stay out of the water.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Outstanding, Jerry!

Beautiful animal. You certainly look like you're enjoying yourself there. grin

As to the chest hair, I just figured you were doing your impression of Stewart Granger.

[Linked Image]

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice kudu, Gunner.

You whacked him properly! smile

Thanks for the chest fur warning!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thank you JG, I've later found that a lot of folks have made repeated trips to Africa in search of a Kudu bull that size, I later saw some pics of 60-64+" bulls that were mind boggling. smile
I can register no complaints, only gratitude.

L2S, yes, the little 400 can reach 250 long yards with ease, that'd cover a lot of hunting situations, this 400 build and load development was one of the easiest on record so far for me, it has been quite enjoyable, especially when one punches above it's weight class.

Jorge, Thanks you too Sir, glad you liked it.

HBB, you best call SARCO and get an action and git one built, you'll love it if you're in need of a heavy medium bore, they're fun to shoot and recoil is very well mannered.

Thanks Hatari, bet you have a half dozen Kudu mounts like ole Biebs, damn right on staying on the dirt, as hot as it was, and as much as I wanted to take a dip in the river, I chickedchitted out. grin

Hey Ed, you're able to see the pleasure behind the work in progress facial expressions, you ever consider professional poker? grin......................shoulda shaved that mess beforehand, it may sound crazy, but while there in the bush hunting, it makes you want to take your damn shirt completely off and hang it in a back pocket, guess that's why Tarzan never wore a suit. laugh

Hello FishN4Eyes, thanks for the compliments, that little 400 gr Woodleigh did not dissapoint.............and you're welcome on the bear hair captioning. blush grin

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Outstanding all the way around!!!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
...Hey Ed, you're able to see the pleasure behind the work in progress facial expressions, you ever consider professional poker? grin......................shoulda shaved that mess beforehand, it may sound crazy, but while there in the bush hunting, it makes you want to take your damn shirt completely off and hang it in a back pocket, guess that's why Tarzan never wore a suit. laugh

If you ever see me in a poker game, it's because I've decided to give money away. laugh

Guys shaving body hair is the last step in feminization. Just sayin'... shocked

That hunt was obviously a labor of love. grin In Alaska if I got hot, I just shed layers of clothes until I got comfortable. Here, I have found the virtue of loose, thin cotton shirts over going shirtless. laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Congratulations Gunner! What an experience! And it sure looks like mighty fine shot placement to me.

Regards, Guy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice bull.. Congratulations!

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I can't watch the video here due to the hospital's content filters. I'll look at it tonight. I've seen the stills before, though, and it was a great kudu.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can tell you Hatari's Trophy Room is something to see, among many, a full mount of a friggin' BONGO!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So when you going back Gunner ?

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I can tell you Hatari's Trophy Room is something to see, among many, a full mount of a friggin' BONGO!

Thx! If you ever get a bongo, you gotta mount the whole thing. smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All I managed was a Bushbuck frown

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Handsome devil and under appreciated. If they were a North American species, they'd have a cult following bigger than sheep.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Outstanding all the way around!!!

Many Thanks Dan. wink

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
...Hey Ed, you're able to see the pleasure behind the work in progress facial expressions, you ever consider professional poker? grin......................shoulda shaved that mess beforehand, it may sound crazy, but while there in the bush hunting, it makes you want to take your damn shirt completely off and hang it in a back pocket, guess that's why Tarzan never wore a suit. laugh

If you ever see me in a poker game, it's because I've decided to give money away. laugh

Guys shaving body hair is the last step in feminization. Just sayin'... shocked

That hunt was obviously a labor of love. grin In Alaska if I got hot, I just shed layers of clothes until I got comfortable. Here, I have found the virtue of loose, thin cotton shirts over going shirtless. laugh

Ed

LOL on the poker, shaving the bear hair in Okleehoma is a survival step, these rednecks would shoot me in the back were I swimmin in the creek, I can see the headlines now, "LOCAL SHOOTS SASQUATCH" laugh

Alaska will be another place hunted one day, I can hardly wait, and yes, proper threading will make or break about any hunt!

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by GuyM
Congratulations Gunner! What an experience! And it sure looks like mighty fine shot placement to me.

Regards, Guy

Thanks Guy, wasn't me in so much as that damn 400 Whelen is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever had built, it will put 'em where you post the cross hairs buddy, everytime.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Many Thanks WCH and Doc.

Bettin' Hatari's trophy room would make me pure nauseated with envy Jorge! cry

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

2017's gonna be it Charles, can't decide to go for the rounding out of the spiral horned five, or go for another buff and leopard!

Regardless, I'm truly screwed.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by jorgeI

First - Gunner that is an awesome kudu!!! And you are right, many people go a long time and never see one that size, let alone shoot it.

Second - Jorge, if a full body mount bongo gets you fired up wait til you see a full body of a Lord Derby Eland!! A guy here local has one. I've seen it up close and personal. It will blow your mind. Not to mention he also has a full body bongo, along with a myriad of other trophies.

Last edited by Heeler; 05/25/16. Reason: Can't spell today.

He went over yonder way
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm finding out how very undeservedly lucky I was Heeler, Thank You Sir! smile

I'll be back, thinking an Eland with a Sharps will be a nice cap on the return campaign. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
really enjoyed that video!

thanks for sharing it with the rest of us

well done Gerry, fine trophy indeed.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thank You 2L2Q, glad you enjoyed them, just got word I should be hearing from the Taxidermist any day now via e-mail, this is about to get really good. wink

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Beautiful Jerry. But I didn't think you even needed a gun. Why didn't you just do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8cDfnQD0ws

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've never worked that hard to spend a little money in my life DF, work usually pays me. grin

Every hot, sun burnt, dusty, dirty, thorn bush mile was well worth the positive mental state you leave there with, and don't mention the memories, they're there several times daily.

Wait till you hunt buffalo again, or better yet leopard and all doesn't go according to plan...

You'll be asking yourself " I'm spending how much money to be this scared???" grin

Ive shot a pile of kudu Gunner, but never one that big.

you suck. cool

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ingwe

Wait till you hunt buffalo again, or better yet leopard and all doesn't go according to plan...

You'll be asking yourself " I'm spending how much money to be this scared???" grin

you suck. cool

Yea, and if he shot a leopard, he could take the skin and make a bathing suit.

[Linked Image]

Ronald Reagan
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Beautiful Jerry. But I didn't think you even needed a gun. Why didn't you just do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8cDfnQD0ws

LMAO, that ship left port decades ago Stone, all that's left is a shot up busted up worn out old man. grin

Plus, that Kudu turned back to look he was 120+ plus yards out, and we were out of cover, just a 180 degree turn and he would have disappeared down the bank of the mighty Limpopo forever.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

you suck. cool

Thanks Buddy, can't wait to be that scared all the while my wallet flattens. laugh

From what I continually gather, I did NOT deserve that fine bull, what a lotto hit.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
GotDamn Stone, that pic should come with a complimentary eye bleach spritzer. sick

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ingwewife shot her kudu on her first ever walk in Africa, less than an hour into her first hunting day there.
Told her she didn't realize her luck but she insisted that she knew how lucky it was....

Yeah....rightttttt.......

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
GotDamn Stone, that pic should come with a complimentary eye bleach spritzer. sick

Whaddaya mean?

That is one HANDSOME BEAST in his pic!

Albeit a bit skinny.... grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Ingwewife shot her kudu on her first ever walk in Africa, less than an hour into her first hunting day there.
Told her she didn't realize her luck but she insisted that she knew how lucky it was....

Yeah....rightttttt.......

Congrats to Ingwewife, reparation for having to put up w/ you. grin
Speaking of merciful Wifeys, you got that seeing eye stick and dog located for my Wifey yet?laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
UUHHHH no, seeing dudes in their panties give me the heebeegeebees. sick

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[quote=gunner500 heebeegeebees. [/quote]

Always wondered how that was spelled....

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh laugh

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sorry, I couldn't let that one go. grin

I shot that picture last fall when I was in Florida from my 4th floor balcony. I couldn't believe there was actually people out there that would wear something like that. I think he was trolling for a dancing partner. eek

Ronald Reagan
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Surprised your lens didn't splinter. eek sick

Trump Won!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

2017's gonna be it Charles, can't decide to go for the rounding out of the spiral horned five, or go for another buff and leopard!

Whereabouts Jerry?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EdM

Whereabouts Jerry?

Mozambique with John at Biggamehuntingadventures.com

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by EdM

Whereabouts Jerry?

Mozambique with John at Biggamehuntingadventures.com

We currently offer buffalo and leopard hunts near the "Crooks Corner" region where Mozambique, Zimbabwe, and South Africa all come together.
Learn more at: http://biggamehuntingadventures.com/mozambique-hunting/

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by The_Big_Game_Hunter
Here's a short video of Gunner's Kudu hunt last September-October. You know it's a nice animal when the tracker PH both get excited like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCICwu_q9Rs

Taxidermy completed and paid, exporter paid, animals are on their way to Oklahoma, I'll soon get to see this Kudu bull and his six friends again shortly, YEEHAWWWW!!!!! smile

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

That's a great bull! Nice video, for sure.
You should have taken the croc as well!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks, and yes, I have thought about a big croc, also, a charging hippo on land would be fun too.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Thanks, and yes, I have thought about a big croc, also, a charging hippo on land would be fun too.

You should definitely do the hippo and croc the 2most dangerous animals in Africa.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I hear they kill more natives than any other, all people must go to water there, and of course, that's where those two hangout.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Congrats Gunner! And with a BFW, too! GRAND!

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

Congrats Gunner! And with a BFW, too! GRAND!

Thanks WN, we ever get to another pig hunt together, I'll bring that 400 Whelen for you too shoot pigs with your "namesake" if you wish.

If you watch the video, enlarge the screen and turn the volume up, stop the video at 25 sec, restart, and you can see the 400 gr Woodleigh strike that bulls shoulder at 26.5 seconds, I later ranged the bank where he was standing at 131 yards.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks WN, we ever get to another pig hunt together, I'll bring that 400 Whelen for you too shoot pigs with your "namesake" if you wish.

[/quote]

That would be a blast in more than one way! cool Thanks, Gunner.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
And so it shall be my friend. wink

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 61 invisible), 3,027 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.