Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Side console or tiller in a 16-18 foot open aluminum boat and why?

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a tiller 40 hp Mercury jet mounted on a Xpress 18/60. We use it for fishing and floating the local rivers in the winter for squirrels. I have more floor space than my buddys console rig.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
For a 16' to 18' aluminum fishing boat, my choice would be a tiller. It offers a more open floor plan and also if you're running the boat solo gives you a smoother ride in the chop, as you have more of the weight of the boat in front of you to cut through the waves before it reaches you in the rear, literally. Sitting more forward in a side console boat can make for a very rough ride. Add a Mercury tiller outboard with power steering, the only brand that offers power steering in a new outboard, and you've got the best of both worlds. A tiller will also give you better control for back trolling, if that's your thing.

The only slight advantage to a side console is somewhat better visibility as you're facing straight forward. If equipped with a wind screen, this might also be a slight benefit running during colder weather. I just wear more clothes.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I had a 15FT side console and now have a 16Ft with tiller. In boats of this length I'd Definetliy go tiller for all the above reasons.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Tiller. I know it isn't freshwater but I have run a lot of 14-20ft skiffs on the ocean and I far prefer a tiller. If it doesn't have a cabin, go with a tiller.

IC B2

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Keep it simple and light. Tiller.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I had a 16 foot tiller for many years and sold it for a Crestliner Fish Hawk 1750SC (great boat). Only kept it for a short period and went back to a Polar Kraft tiller. I don't see myself in anything other than a tiller from now on because of the reasons cited above. I can get the tiller into far more places, use a smaller outboard for the same performance (better trolling performance actually), and use less fuel.

Last edited by JDK; 05/09/16.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One rule of thumb that is good to go by. If you're running 50hp and lower, go tiller. 60hp and above go console. The tiller has it's advantages up to a point and then the console takes over. powdr

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Another vote for a tiller for the reasons already given....

I own both and the console boat sits in the garage. Old habits are sometimes tough to break!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Depends on what your using it for. If you hunt out of it at all then a tiller. A stick steer is another option.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tiller

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For a jet boat on shallow braided rivers where I live, I prefer console. Better weight balance, better vision. Lakes or normal rivers, I think tiller is better.

Eat moose, burn spruce
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Pittu
For a jet boat on shallow braided rivers where I live, I prefer console. Better weight balance, better vision. Lakes or normal rivers, I think tiller is better.

Another place where a stick steer is awesome. Sitting in the front you can see under water obstacles in shallow water. A lot of guys around here set up jet boats with stick steering.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As to the title, I believe that it was sung by Bobby Vee.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll go against the trend and throw my vote in for a console, with one of the main reasons being weight further forward in the boat makes getting up on plane easier. I have had a bunch of tillers and hated cracking the throttle and having the front end come up so high you can't see where you are going. End up putting your tackle and stuff up in the front to keep the bow down, then you need to go get it from there when you start fishing, move it to the back where you are running the boat, and then move it back when you are wanting to move. With a console boat your tackle can be right beside you, you have a windshield to help keep the chill off, and you are that much farther from the motor, so less noise. A single console boat still has a ton of fishable room and is easy to move around.

All that said, I would place reliability of the rig above the layout.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a wide 16 foot 25HP tiller with shallow water drive. In the shallow swift rivers it's a big plus to tilt the engine on a seconds notice. I also fish a large lake & traveling very far gets old holding the handle/throttle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had both and prefer the tiller for fishing. It opens up the floor plan, and if I'm fishing by my self, I seldom go to the bow unless to set the bow anchor. I run a 14 ft. Lund Deep V and have little trouble with bow rise when I bring it on plane with my 18 horse Evinrude. I do a lot of in tight fishing both for crappies and bass, and like fishing from the stern.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In a 14 or 16' boat with a SMALL motor, tiller is probably better. But with max hp motor and a deep v boat, it is real puckersome when you are running wide open and gust of wind blows your bow 20 degrees off course. With your weight centered at a console that won't happen.

When you are trolling, it can be hard to keep on course going forward in wind. Going backward can help on smaller water, but you need good rain gear and more patience than I have, or a good set of splash guards.

Regardless of your choice, you will spend money . .

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Side console or tiller in a 16-18 foot open aluminum boat and why?

Tiller all the way. For the same boat platform, a side console raises your max h.p. rating, thus a more expensive boat. Steering and linkage isn't too complicated, but more to go wrong. I much prefer the openness of a tiller boat and the control needed for back trolling.
But no matter which way you go, be sure to maximize the h.p. rating of the boat.
Good luck.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
You never said what you plans were but a couple of more things to consider, if you haven't already pulled the trigger. Open floor plan, flat floors, no carpeting, and storage. I used to spend 4 hours fishing and then 4 hours vacuuming carpeting. No more..hose it out and go. Flat floor is easy on the back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,954 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,258
Posts18,467,084
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.