24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'am haveing problems seating cci400 small rifle primers in Hornady factory brass,has anyone else had a problem where the primer refuse's to fit in the brass?

Frank Glaser,Alaska Wolfman:"with a lung shot on hoofed game the .220 Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned."That included caribou,moose,wolf,and sheep.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
well i had primed 70 brass cases,different brands,all primed no problem except around 20 brand new factory Hornady cases that had been fired one time and i was going to reload these with the others,i have never ever had a case refuse to except a primer.Other hornady once fired cases primed just fine..
The primers were new in the pack cci 400 and all were the same size...no mix ups.
should i use another type primer?
I have used the cci 400/Hornady brass with great success before and my powder charge is no where near max...what "could be the problem"?

Last edited by whitebear; 05/14/16.

Frank Glaser,Alaska Wolfman:"with a lung shot on hoofed game the .220 Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned."That included caribou,moose,wolf,and sheep.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Does "new factory Hornady cases that had been fired one time" mean once fired brass from factory loaded cartridges?

If so, they obviously accepted a primer at one time.

However, for whatever reason, those factory cartridges could have had crimped in primers a la military ammo. So if "had a case refuse to except a primer" means you couldn't get a primer started into the cases, then you may have been fighting a primer crimp that needs removing.

Or it could be they're just on the tight side and the pocket mouths are very square/sharp. Try putting a light bevel on the pocket edges with a deburring tool and see how a primer seats then.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Once fired Hornady factory loaded 110gr.v-max case fired by me yes...thats the problem that i cant understand ,out of 50 Hornady cases ....20 will not except a primer..Never seen or heard of this before.Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check closely for a crimp. Or you might want to chamfer the primer pocket edge a little.
I have had some variation in primer size, although I've not had the measuring gear to precisely verify. But with a clean, visible chamfer on the pocket, they all go in although sometimes it takes some wiggling and fuzzing to get the primer started on center.
You COULD get a swager ---

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My take is the issue is the Hornady brass.

I had 20 0nce fired factory 300 H&H Hornady brass that when I attempted to reload with Fed 215 primers . 5 would not prime without crushing/distorting the primers, 3 would not hold any of the primers I tried to seat, they simply fell out.

Primers from the same box were seated into once fired Remington brass with no issue.

I also had issues with once fired Hornady 44 mag brass, and .308 brass, some would simply not accept primers without distortion.

I no longer load any Hornady brass.

Flyer

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yes the "Hornady brass is the only brand that gave me the problem",all the other brands gave "no problems" includeing reformed brass from ....lake city military.556 ,, Pmc.223//Remington/Barnes brass.
Iam glad i'am not the only one to have problems with Hornady brass...thanks everyone for the help.

Its too bad i will have to use Hornady Brass for reloading the great Ruger 375 ,,,,other than 375 Ruger i will never buy Hornady cartridges again.

Last edited by whitebear; 05/17/16.

S
SEM Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Call Hornady, They will help you! I have had a different problem one time only with 300 BO brass brand new they replaced it promptly. the people there know their stuff and answer the phone in english

if you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
604 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.