Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H

Just wondered about this. I'm no gunsmith but have good mechanical skills .
Has anyone done their own gun ?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Kind of a vague question. Your skills may differ greatly from many here or gunsmiths in particular. For me personally, trigger work is exceptionally easy. To the point where I think it's funnier than hell that someone spends their hard earned money on a timney or other such trigger. My best suggestion is to buy a volquartsen target hammer and bushing kit:

Volquartsen target hammer

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
HuntSleepRepeat,

I have done a lot of trigger work over the years, and did one 10/22 maybe 15 years ago. It turned out much better than the original pull, though not as good as I would prefer. But the way the trigger system works I wasn't about to try to make it much crisper or lighter. However, it definitely worked reliably, and the pull was good enough to put 5 shots in 1/2" at 50 yards with the right hollow-point ammo, which was plenty of accuracy for the primary use of the rifle, shooting ground squirrels out of hayfields and cow pastures.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Kind of a vague question. Your skills may differ greatly from many here or gunsmiths in particular. For me personally, trigger work is exceptionally easy. To the point where I think it's funnier than hell that someone spends their hard earned money on a timney or other such trigger. My best suggestion is to buy a volquartsen target hammer and bushing kit:

I put a Volquartsen kit in mine with no problems except for a mushy 1.75lb pull. I reinstalled the original Ruger trigger spring and got a nice crisp 3lb. pull. A little heavier than I wanted, but I can live with crisp and 3lbs on a hunting rifle.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ruger makes a drop-in replacement that gets good reviews on Midway and for much less than some of the others. No doubt the $200 ones are very good, but this one will help and doesn't require messing with springs and shims, etc. About $75. Midway is out now, but the Ruger store may have them.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MichiganScott

I put a Volquartsen kit in mine with no problems except for a mushy 1.75lb pull. I reinstalled the original Ruger trigger spring and got a nice crisp 3lb. pull. A little heavier than I wanted, but I can live with crisp and 3lbs on a hunting rifle.

Very strange. Sounds like you didn't do something right.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
...Sounds like you didn't do something right.

This is likely typical of many DIY trigger jobs.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Ruger makes a drop-in replacement that gets good reviews on Midway and for much less than some of the others. No doubt the $200 ones are very good, but this one will help and doesn't require messing with springs and shims, etc. About $75. Midway is out now, but the Ruger store may have them.

I did just exactly that, about a month ago to my 10/22 squirrel rifle. It's the BX replacement trigger that Ruger makes for the 10/22. I got it from Midway, on sale, for $55 plus shipping. Watched a video on the change, and did the job in about 5 minutes. Took the trigger pull from 7 lbs. to about 2 3/4 lbs. So far I'm a VERY happy camper! grin

maddog

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Nope. Followed the instructions exactly, but this was over 15 years ago. All that came with the kit was the hammer, hammer spring, and trigger return spring. No bushing or shims or pins. I figured it was tolerance stack. The original trigger was so bad that I was eager to accept any improvement. Like I said, I'm happy with 3lbs and crisp.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Thanks ! I didn't know they made this.
I will probably just order one of these VS trying it myself
I doubt I could do any better

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
First you require the necessary levels of confidence. This is attained by convincing yourself you ARE a gunsmith even if you are not a gunsmith.

Beer helps.

Make rough parts smooth. That's all the info you need.

Dave

PS- The BX is pretty nice. And cheap. And easy.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another proven method that was more practical in the days of yore was to put 15,000 to 20,000 rounds through it. Shined everything up just right.

A more recent method was a surprise to me. I bought a 10/22 a couple of years ago after not buying any for over 7-10 years and was disappointed in seeing the polymer receiver. The ones (7-8) that I bought in the past all had the aluminium receivers either in the raw or painted black. I decided to break it down and clean everything up while I was was replacing the barrel and the stock before I shot it at all.

Upon putting it back together I lubed up the trigger components with CLP and off to the desert to sight in the new scope. I was completely amazed how that lubrication had turned about a 6-7 pound pull into a nice 2.5-3.5 pound pull which was like one of the older ones with thousands of rounds through it.

Sad part is I don't remember specifically where I lubed it the most !!! Today after 2-3 years the darn trigger is still functioning at the low level pull and worked like a dream on a recent rock chuck outing here in Idaho.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Nope. Followed the instructions exactly, but this was over 15 years ago. All that came with the kit was the hammer, hammer spring, and trigger return spring. No bushing or shims or pins. I figured it was tolerance stack. The original trigger was so bad that I was eager to accept any improvement. Like I said, I'm happy with 3lbs and crisp.

I ran into the about the same thing about the same time. It wasn't really "mushy" just not consistent with the springs that came with the hammer. I played with different combinations of springs and got it to a crisp and consistent 3 lb's or so.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I got VQ hammers for both of mine many years ago. I also played with the spring tension until I got a 1 3/4 lb trigger. No mush in mine -- maybe a tiny bit of creep. I also tapped a trigger stop into the trigger guard which helped quite a bit.

ON RFC, there are 2 guys who do tons of 10-22 triggers.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a '67 factory checkered fingergroove..........prev owner bought it new, used it a lot. Trigger still sucked.
Volq hammer and Kidd buffer. Good enough now.
Pineys gonna hate it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
There is a thread on Rimfire Central that shows how to stone the factory hammer. It cut the pull weight from 6# to 3# on mine. I did it on a friend's rifle and it went from 6.5# to 3.5#. We were both happy. The method does not give a target pull like a Volquartson, but it is cheap and easy and plenty acceptable for a plinking/hunting rifle.

Found it.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122386&highlight=cletus+hungwell

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 05/10/16.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.