Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
.... are we going to fill the time till deer season!?! 6 months to kill. I'm going to pick up another otter six this evening. An older ADL. Won't take six months to debug that. Then what? Trail cameras? Food plots? Exercise? (Lol). So how are you all filling the void between seasons?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could always pick a fight or two in the optics forum. laugh laugh

I'm faced with the same dilemma on an annual basis and have yet to come up with a solution.
I do know that I have accumulated far too many rifles thinking that was the answer to biding the time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
eek

What is that, too many rifles? Can't be.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Knee surgery June 17th
PT and Training will start 3 days later for
September bear....Colorado
October pronghorn....Colorado
November Mule deer....Colorado
November whitetail....Missouri
November whitetail....Oklahoma
December/January whitetail Missouri

PT and mountain work will keep my next 3 months busy

One rifle and one load for all the above

30-06 150 grn Accubond @ just about 2850

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Go to work. Walleye fishing in May and early june. Go to work. Channel cats in June, July and August. Go to work. Smallmouth bass in August. Maybe some flathead fishing this July. Go to work. See my daughter this July . She comes home for 4 weeks . She lives in Taichung, Taiwan.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Otter6,

I think tomorrow my Weatherby will be ready to go hunting. I have only one more test. After that, Lord willing, I will go rabbit hunting and maybe even try to find some of those pig I heard about in Southern Oregon. I might even throw in a little fishing. grin

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am training a horse, beautiful, pet, pasture stale.

I'm nearly done with my 6.5 Swede

I'm looking for a REAL gunsmith who can WELD mis-aligned scope base holes and RE drill & tap. Somebody 'screwed up' a 98 Mauser. There are smiths w/in reasonable distance BUT I don't know them well enuff to TRUST them.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I just 250 miles up and 250 back to hang two trail cameras today. Also put out two salt blocks and two mineral rocks.

Since the first of the year I have put over 300 rounds of 300 RUM downrange and about the same in a 300 SAUM not to mention 338 and 7-08 and 06 ammo. Also working towards this years elk trip. So I am trying to stay active and engaged.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We used to hunt woodchuck here in the North East in the summertime.

That was great hunting. They are gone?

Do you have any chucks in PA?

Then we shot in the outdoor matches. Both slow fire and some rapid. This was at 200 yds.

Our club ran a running deer match as well with a paper deer target on a track pulled by a motor.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've been shooting woodchucks and fishing. Walleye and Northern pike opened last Saturday.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Savage_99
We used to hunt woodchuck here in the North East in the summertime.

That was great hunting. They are gone?

Do you have any chucks in PA?

Then we shot in the outdoor matches. Both slow fire and some rapid. This was at 200 yds.

Our club ran a running deer match as well with a paper deer target on a track pulled by a motor.

[Linked Image]

There are still lots of woodchucks in some areas of NY. I shot 6 this past Saturday afternoon on a farm in Otsego county. The Cortland/Syracuse area is still loaded with them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SKane
Could always pick a fight or two in the optics forum. laugh laugh

I'm faced with the same dilemma on an annual basis and have yet to come up with a solution.
I do know that I have accumulated far too many rifles thinking that was the answer to biding the time.

LOL

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Knee surgery June 17th
PT and Training will start 3 days later for
September bear....Colorado
October pronghorn....Colorado
November Mule deer....Colorado
November whitetail....Missouri
November whitetail....Oklahoma
December/January whitetail Missouri

PT and mountain work will keep my next 3 months busy

One rifle and one load for all the above

30-06 150 grn Accubond @ just about 2850

Hope ya make it but, I wouldn't get my hope's up to high. My left knee was replaced Sept 16 last year and while I'm getting around pretty well now, it's taken to long to get here. I have this strange click in that knee every time I bend it, I was told it's normal.Right now I'm at a point where I can get up off the ground without holding something, been years since I could do that. If they give you the drugs they gave me, one is a powerful narcotic. They can't call it into the drug counter, you have to call the Dr ahead of time so he can send you a prescription. I don't recall much of anything while I was in there and not much more for several days after I got home. Make sure ahead of time what you have to do and whoever is taking care of you, make sure they get that in writing. I went about a week and getting them built up again was a chore! I was told recovery time is about a year. Good luck to you!

I'll fill in my time fooling with my dog's and hopefully a catfish trip!Also gonna hunt deer again this year, first time in years. Started casting bullet's for my 308 and 30-06 and gonna get them dialed in.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Cool. No idle hands in this crowd. I'm looking forward to taking my daughter to the first 400 yd deer target shoot at Anderson Creek Sportsmens club on the 22nd She wants to get as many in as possible before college in the fall.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Otter6
.... are we going to fill the time till deer season!?! 6 months to kill. I'm going to pick up another otter six this evening. An older ADL. Won't take six months to debug that. Then what? Trail cameras? Food plots? Exercise? (Lol). So how are you all filling the void between seasons?

How about a trip to the Lone Star State to hunt one of these.....

[Linked Image]

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two boys, aged 8 and 5. A whole lot of my time is spent at a baseball diamond in the summer. In between times, I have a pup I'm trying to train to find birds. Right now, guns for me, are WAY down on the list.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
took me quite some time to figure out otter six... LOL.

For us, its maintenance... we start hunting around Sept in AK, and finish ducks in Jan here.

That means Feb/Sept we have to take care of 3 houses, yards, maintenance, 100 acres of land, dead trees, fence repair/replace, road maintenance and so on.

I'm SO thankful when end of Jan comes around, and Sept gets here so damn fast its not even funny.

Probably doesn't help all the fire/ems volunteer calls I run, almost 300 on an average year...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
When we used to shoot highpower and all the other cross training shooting, we rarely got anything much done. Was thankful for deer season as it meant we could quit shooting until the spring again. What a refreshing break!

That was years when a lot more of my family was alive to work around the farm etc.... and now its the same amount of work but only 2 people to do it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rost495
took me quite some time to figure out otter six... LOL.

Really ??

It should tell you something.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You guys are already shooting chucks? I was raised to not shoot them til the middle of May at the soonest so the little ones are not with momma anymore.

“Lighten up Francis”
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.