Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by SKane

I do know that I have accumulated far too many rifles thinking that was the answer to biding the time.

Man, I've bought rifles over the past few years when I'm not even wanting or needing them. I guess I really don't need more than one or two.....but that's not fun for anybody.

I'm starting to shoot my bow, run cameras, then the kiddos and baseball, ballet for the girl(thank god it's not the boy.....never know these days), starting on a new build(if this F'ing stock will show up), and family vacation........likely hog hunt a bit over the summer.

Last edited by d500lnn; 05/11/16.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Could always make a trip to south Florida. Deer season starts on July 30th this year. Not too far away, But who the hell wants to hunt in south Fla in July?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by micky
You guys are already shooting chucks? I was raised to not shoot them til the middle of May at the soonest so the little ones are not with momma anymore.

In the 70s I lived in NW Ark and we had a great place to hunt with Groundhogs. It was large pasture land that had been bulldozed and the draws were full of pushed up timber/brush and undergrowth. The G-hogs were thick. We didn't give it any thot.

Altho we shot A LOT of hogs, we exterminated them in that area. uggh! We should have researched groundhog life cycle and waited PAST the birth/raising season.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trap and skeet boys...

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yard work, wash car and truck.
Take-in a few baseball games.
Reloading and shooting.
Road trip to Idaho and Montana.

Try to enjoy life.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
Originally Posted by Otter6
.... are we going to fill the time till deer season!?! 6 months to kill. I'm going to pick up another otter six this evening. An older ADL. Won't take six months to debug that. Then what? Trail cameras? Food plots? Exercise? (Lol). So how are you all filling the void between seasons?

How about a trip to the Lone Star State to hunt one of these.....

[Linked Image]

That would be more fun than twin busty red heads half my age. A friend of mine thought he had us a line on an axis hunt. Turned out to be a ruse. In 1995,I hunted Rio grand Turkey in TX. The ranch had exotics afoot. That was pretty cool. Like a whole other country.

Last edited by Otter6; 05/11/16.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys are already shooting chucks? I was raised to not shoot them til the middle of May at the soonest so the little ones are not with momma anymore.

Same here.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I always held to that protocol too. Whack a nursing momma too early and the little guys won't likely grow up to be targets. Memorial Day was always the start of our self-limited groundhog season in Maryland and PA for that reason.

As for me, my deer season doesn't start 'til right after Thanksgiving. The thought of chasing around the country chasing deer in other bailiwicks just doesn't hold the appeal it once did. I'll likely spend the summer and early fall like I usually do- sitting on the veranda with a jug and a good book, with an occasional hike around the neighborhood to keep my legs in shape for those halcyon days of squirrel and deer hunting, and the occasional foray into a clear cold stream in order to wave a split-bamboo stick around in the air. I don't go a-helling through life like I did before. At the tender age of 63 I'm starting to mellow a bit.

That doesn't stop me from acquiring/building more deer rifles though. The irony is, most of them will never see a chilly sunrise in the deer woods as I always tend to grab one of the old memory makers for that job.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/11/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495

That was years when a lot more of my family was alive to work around the farm etc.... and now its the same amount of work but only 2 people to do it.

Same here but my mom does help out quite a bit as well(especially with paperwork).
We really could use another worker or two but it's hard to find help.

Haven't been bored in 6 years.

Last edited by SamOlson; 05/11/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fill the time until deer season? I just retired Apr. 27th and at least now I've got the time to do all that stuff I never seemed to have time for when I was working. Plan on doing a lot more reloading and help out a guy with some woodchuck culling on his farm. Go to the range more; visit my buddy who runs the local gun shop more. Got a couple trail cams out on one other property I'll be hunting in November. We might set up a blind out there. Gonna hike around on a 6000 acre piece of hilly state land that I've hunted for years and get to know it even better. I got a long list but at least now I can fit all this stuff into my schedule. I could have retired a few years ago but put it off until age 66 so I can get even more $$ out of social security and have more money in retirement than I had originally planned on. Plus; I'm thanking the good Lord that I'm still in good enough shape at my age to do all that stuff. So staying in shape and eating right can also fill that time. Have even found myself looking real hard at a couple more guns down at the shop.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwall

In the 70s I lived in NW Ark and we had a great place to hunt with Groundhogs. It was large pasture land that had been bulldozed and the draws were full of pushed up timber/brush and undergrowth. The G-hogs were thick. We didn't give it any thot.

Altho we shot A LOT of hogs, we exterminated them in that area. uggh! We should have researched groundhog life cycle and waited PAST the birth/raising season.

Jerry
The farm I'm shooting them on now is infested like I've never seen. I mean there are probably 50 active holes in the one 40 acre field I shot them on last weekend. I killed six and saw about 12 more I couldn't shoot at because of houses/barns/livestock in the background and I was only there for an hour. The farmer asked me to please kill as many as I can. I'm not worried about wiping them out but he said he'd really appreciate it if I could. I'm done for now as the grass is getting too tall. I'll get back to it in June after first cutting.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
b h -

I'm jealous! ! That was such a hoot. We have 'some' ghogs around here but I've haven't seen many.

Enjoy!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Blackheart; Sounds like a farm I hunted here. There were so many on the place,all the field drains were ruined. Erosion was out of controll. They were using the window wells on the house for shade,and chewed the TV cable off. Left unchecked g-hogs can ruin a farm for sure. We would work the fields over with the rifles,then sneak in around the buildings with shottys.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Crappie fishing.
Sporting Clays and 5 Stand.
Load development for 4 rifles.
Have a new lease in Mo that we have to get stands set up on too.

Then there is the whole working 65 hours a week thing...

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My list of things to do grows daily. Once the kitchen is finished I need redo the wife's office (laundry room).

I have 3 porches to clean/treat, a house to wash and a bunch of frigging shelves to build in the shed. Plus the garden, fill up the bird feeders daily, hunt for snakes, and play with 3 dogs.

Summer is my 'busy' time around the house, because I don't do a damn thing in the fall cept hunt and watch college football.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
My list of things to do grows daily. Once the kitchen is finished I need redo the wife's office (laundry room).

I have 3 porches to clean/treat, a house to wash and a bunch of frigging shelves to build in the shed. Plus the garden, fill up the bird feeders daily, hunt for snakes, and play with 3 dogs.

Summer is my 'busy' time around the house, because I don't do a damn thing in the fall cept hunt and watch college football.

And, you SIR, have earned that right!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
been trying to get my next winters fire wood in and split! started the garden, have 4 places to mow besides my own, getting my small boat ready, plan to do alot more fishing this summer, guns to shoot and shells to reload, always something to do!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just brought home 2500 shotguns shells. If they last even close to Deer season then something bad happened. Actually if they last thru July, something really bad happened.

Last edited by battue; 05/12/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Til deer season? Well, I have gopher shooting to attend to, p. dog shooting, some pistol shooting, some long range shooting, trout fishing, a trip to my wifes folks with a bit of bass and bluegill fishing to pass the time.

Will also shoot some trap and skeet.. My step daughter and her son will come visit us for two weeks to fish, shoot and enjoy the out doors..

Have a couple trips to Montana planned, some lakes in the mountains I want locate and fish. Train my little golden pup, I have more to do than I have time to do it.. Don't know how I survived before I retired.. Now due to my investment lady, I have more money than I started with and I have been retired for 17 years..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Now due to my investment lady, I have more money than I started with and I have been retired for 17 years..

You should by her a BD and Christmas present. grin

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.