Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I sent Hornady an email, and they confirmed the ELD-M are the SAME as the A-max with the new tip. The ELD-X are a different animal. Email copied below:

tech
Apr 25

to me
Mr. Lake,

At this point in time the only thing that is different between the A-Max and the ELD-M is the tip.

Thank you

Last edited by tarheelpwr; 05/11/16.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just the tip?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Higbean
Just the tip?

That's what she said.

Somehow there's a correlation in the two scenarios,

Somebody's going to get the shaft.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by rost495
maybe only in 223 with 75 amax you never see the problem.

I know the BC was as close as you generally get comparing to drop and drift actual shot locations.

Probably never got em hot enough?

But in the end, you'd think, hey, same amax, different material in the tip, same general price would be my thought....

Could be. Probably a big difference in aerodynamic heating, between 2700 fps and 3300fps, when using a bigger cartridge.

Even running the amax 75 at 2850 instead of 2700 isn't as much as 3300 I would agree.

And when running fast, I don't recall running amax in the 22-250 at 1000, just the 80 jlk and 80 smk at that time...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Reading further the new ELD M should be same cost or a few pennies more than the old ones due to new tip material.

Unless the new tip material is that bastard unobtanium stuff.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I swung through Cabelas and saw that they had gotten in some 162 ELD-X's. Grabbed a box to try. Please please please let them be super accurate!

[Linked Image]

I like pics showing controlled expansion with attached impact velocities. And, what a BOX! smile

Here it is next to a 162 Amax.... Amax on the left. Clearly a different bullet. The blood-red tip is a nice touch.

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Dude,

Get a jackrag next time.....

Never been that excited over bullets.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Jackrag! Thanks, I learned something new today. That should come in handy... grin

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who needs a jackrag when Hornady furnishes 'what a BOX'....

Just jack-in-the-BOX.......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I may go up and shoot a tester with the X's here this morning..... if they are super accurate, THEN I'll need the.... WTF do you crazy kids call it... "jackrag".... smile

A legit long range bullet that holds together up close remains a bit of a Holy Grail...

Good to read that quote from Hornady about the regular ELD's/Amax. When I was emailing with their tech department about it, I never could pin the dude down to saying that specific thing ("it's exactly the same except the tip").... that's comforting.

(This all probably sounds a bit crazy to peeps who don't use Amax's but they are such an accurate and just as important EASY bullet to get to shoot really well that any changes are spooky! )

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
A legit long range bullet that holds together up close remains a bit of a Holy Grail..

It doesn't exist.

But it's no suprise that you would swallow that kind of crap up.

At least you got the box open. Congratulations!?!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bellydeep
A legit long range bullet that holds together up close remains a bit of a Holy Grail..

It doesn't exist.

Sadly so.

Early reports are that ELD-X are kind of soft for up close/hv. Time will tell.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If they could only come out with a more modern tip like bronze or aluminum (some call that silver).

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

It doesn't exist.

Gad, you can be a tool.

I'm not talking timber hunting, poop-shoot up close, dingbat. Which you knew. But your tooliness got the better of you. Tool. wink

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It doesn't exist.

Gad, you can be a tool.

I'm not talking timber hunting, poop-shoot up close, dingbat. Which you knew. But your tooliness got the better of you. Tool. wink

Ok. Please explain your current issues with the terminal performance of the Berger VLD and Scenar.

And then explain how the magical ELD will solve all of the problems you describe. Please.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 32_20fan
They're phasing them out with their new ELD line of tipped bullets...heat/erosion resistant tips. At this time I think they have 6.5, 7, 30, and 338 offerings. Not sure what their plans are for the remaining calibers with Amax offerings.

Steve and Jason Hornady, and company should have spent a little more time planning the 'phasing out' of the AMax. From what I'm seeing the demand for the 6.5mm projectiles - AMax, ELD-M, and ELD-X - is likely beyond their wildest dream. Bare shelves cannot help sell a product - new or old.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
I sent Hornady an email, and they confirmed the ELD-M are the SAME as the A-max with the new tip. The ELD-X are a different animal. Email copied below:

tech
Apr 25

to me
Mr. Lake,

At this point in time the only thing that is different between the A-Max and the ELD-M is the tip.

Thank you

Should have asked when they plan on running enough to stock dealer shelves! Bet they have a 'canned' response for that question.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ill admit I don't get the whole premium bullet thing. The c&c said have always worked fine for me. From the mfg. perspective it does offer a opportunity for charging more but I'd be a bit concerned about losing market share.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I may go up and shoot a tester with the X's here this morning..... if they are super accurate, THEN I'll need the.... WTF do you crazy kids call it... "jackrag".... smile

A legit long range bullet that holds together up close remains a bit of a Holy Grail...

Good to read that quote from Hornady about the regular ELD's/Amax. When I was emailing with their tech department about it, I never could pin the dude down to saying that specific thing ("it's exactly the same except the tip").... that's comforting.

(This all probably sounds a bit crazy to peeps who don't use Amax's but they are such an accurate and just as important EASY bullet to get to shoot really well that any changes are spooky! )

No offense and fellow NM guy to NM guy, but have you ever thought of giving up posting for maybe a few years? I will if you will, at least outside of the classifieds. All to improve the fire!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

No offense and fellow NM guy to NM guy, but have you ever thought of giving up posting for maybe a few years? I will if you will, at least outside of the classifieds. All to improve the fire!

He did give up for a while, but just like chronic diarrhea he returned.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.