Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gentlemen,
As is per usual I get on the bandwagon late, however, I finally found several Hornady Amax's that work past perfect in several chamberings. Short question: Why does Hornady SEEM to be discontinuing one of their keystone products? Just got over Ballistic Tips and found Amaxs and now they are taking them off the market. What is the scoop?

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They're phasing them out with their new ELD line of tipped bullets...heat/erosion resistant tips. At this time I think they have 6.5, 7, 30, and 338 offerings. Not sure what their plans are for the remaining calibers with Amax offerings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hornady seems hell bent on driving customers away. Found the last two boxes of 100 gr 25 cal IL-FB's in my area last weekend.

Once those are gone, I won't buy another 25 cal Hornady bullet. It will be Noslers and Barnes from then on.

I really hope someone from Hornady reads this.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Depends on bullet weight.. supposedly the A Max tips suffer from heat deformation at high speed, and fast twists.... the ELD is designed not to... instead of changing the tip on the A Max, evidently their marketing folks are deciding a new name will sell better.. Lord knows the bullet market, consumers always seem to want something that is the "latest and greatest" vs what has been tried and true for decades...

but everyone wants a 700 to 1000 yd capable cartridge to take a deer at under a 100 yds...

in 22 cal, the 75 and 80 A Maxes are not on the chopping block, and neither is the 100 grain A Max in 6.5 mm... for now... at least as explained to me after just getting off the line with Hornady's Customer Service folks...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty sure the Nosler PT continues to sell just fine wink

I would suggest that once consumers find a bullet that works really well, every time, they are very unlikely to leave that bullet.

Hornady is making a mistake by discontinuing the AM, IMO. Once my considerable stash of AM is gone, I highly doubt I'll pay the premium to start using the ELD. There are other premium LR bullets to choose from once you start getting into the price range of the ELD.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It will be interesting to see which A-Maxes disappear. I'd probably sell my remaining stocks of them, because using discontinued bullets in handloading articles doesn't make sense.

However, Speer claimed they were phasing Hot-Cors out in favor of DeepCurls a few years ago--and then reversed themselves.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
1. Call Hornady

2. Get the straight poop

3. Profit

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Higbean
1. Call Hornady

2. Get the straight poop

3. Profit

I wish I knew what happened to the letter I got from Ruger when I queried them about making rifles from stainless steel (like a few of their revolvers), and putting them in synthetic stocks. They said they "had no plans" but came out with them a few months later. (I think maybe I'll seek "royalties" for my successful idea! grin )

IOW, good luck getting "straight poop" from a manufacturer, but it's possible.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sometimes....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Sometimes....

....and who's making the query? wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting on the tip burning...

Having shot a LOT of amaxes at longer ranges, I can say I never had anything weird going on.

And if you shot one with a tip missing, its impact was WAY weird.

I'd think burning the tips off would result in some strange issues from time to time.

I think they are full of BS or that the tips burned off or melted uniformly.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It will be interesting to see which A-Maxes disappear. I'd probably sell my remaining stocks of them, because using discontinued bullets in handloading articles doesn't make sense.

However, Speer claimed they were phasing Hot-Cors out in favor of DeepCurls a few years ago--and then reversed themselves.

Some of your Co- writers have no issue using bullets that have been discontinued in their article........
You are a fine exception in your craft.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As long as the 162 ELD is basically the same as the 162 Amax all is good. If not........ boys, get a rope. smile

I'm playing with some of the 208 ELD's in my '06; it likes them very much, which is a good sign. One thing the Amax is that it's always been an easy bullet to get to shoot.

By the way... Hornady made DRASTIC changes to the 162 Amax at some point. I have some of the old ones... different shape, ogive location, tip....

Matt- one other thing you might not know about this is that Horn is replacing the Amax with TWO bullets: the ELD and then a "hunting" version that is tested for controlled expansion. This is true of the venerable 162 at least. Remaining to be seen is if the hunting version shoots as well as the Amax and, hopefully, the ELD. I believe they've gone to an interlock ring on the hunting version. In theory that hurts accuracy but, who knows.

A hunting 162 Amax with the same BC and yet some resistance to blowing up doesn't suck one bit! So fingers crossed.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hornady claimed that they had proven with radar that the bullets were not meeting expected downrange ballistic coefficients, and traced the cause to erosion damage to the tips.

Me, I would have rented one of those ultra-high speed cameras and fired bullets past it at long range, and visually confirmed the point was getting rounded off. If they did it, and confirmed that the Amax (and competitive bullets) had the problem, and the new bullet fixed the problem, then the photos could have been a terrific marketing campaign for them. But what do I know, I just design, make, and sell metal stuff? smile

It's not implausible that the tips round off. Aircraft that fly supersonic at low altitude certainly have significant skin heating problems. The problem might be worse with ultra-high speed cartridges.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 05/11/16. Reason: add smartass remark

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
maybe only in 223 with 75 amax you never see the problem.

I know the BC was as close as you generally get comparing to drop and drift actual shot locations.

Probably never got em hot enough?

But in the end, you'd think, hey, same amax, different material in the tip, same general price would be my thought....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, the price increase and name change strikes me as an excuse to gouge.

And Hornady isn't saying the tips melt off, they're saying the tips warm up and begin deforming in flight, altering the close to mid-range BC values, until velocity drops off.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
They could have simply changed the tip without changing anything else...they decided to scrap the whole line and change the name to ELD which rhymes with VLD, pretty obvious why.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll never buy an ELD. Fact. If I get to the point where I'm worried about bullet tips burning off, I'll use a Skinner or a Berger.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll buy shïtloads of them, if they shoot like the 162 Amax. smile And I'm buying another box of the 208 ELD's tomorrow, and they are considerably cheaper than Bergers, as well, at least at Cabelas.

If they don't? As I said... boys, get a rope.

I gotta think that Hornady just MAYBE knew what they had in the Amax and didn't make it WORSE........ hell, maybe it's actually a little better now.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

I know the BC was as close as you generally get comparing to drop and drift actual shot locations.

But in the end, you'd think, hey, same amax, different material in the tip, same general price would be my thought....

Could be. Probably a big difference in aerodynamic heating, between 2700 fps and 3300fps, when using a bigger cartridge.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I sent Hornady an email, and they confirmed the ELD-M are the SAME as the A-max with the new tip. The ELD-X are a different animal. Email copied below:

tech
Apr 25

to me
Mr. Lake,

At this point in time the only thing that is different between the A-Max and the ELD-M is the tip.

Thank you

Last edited by tarheelpwr; 05/11/16.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Just the tip?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just the tip?

That's what she said.

Somehow there's a correlation in the two scenarios,

Somebody's going to get the shaft.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by rost495

Could be. Probably a big difference in aerodynamic heating, between 2700 fps and 3300fps, when using a bigger cartridge.

Even running the amax 75 at 2850 instead of 2700 isn't as much as 3300 I would agree.

And when running fast, I don't recall running amax in the 22-250 at 1000, just the 80 jlk and 80 smk at that time...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Reading further the new ELD M should be same cost or a few pennies more than the old ones due to new tip material.

Unless the new tip material is that bastard unobtanium stuff.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I swung through Cabelas and saw that they had gotten in some 162 ELD-X's. Grabbed a box to try. Please please please let them be super accurate!

[Linked Image]

I like pics showing controlled expansion with attached impact velocities. And, what a BOX! smile

Here it is next to a 162 Amax.... Amax on the left. Clearly a different bullet. The blood-red tip is a nice touch.

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Dude,

Get a jackrag next time.....

Never been that excited over bullets.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Jackrag! Thanks, I learned something new today. That should come in handy... grin

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who needs a jackrag when Hornady furnishes 'what a BOX'....

Just jack-in-the-BOX.......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I may go up and shoot a tester with the X's here this morning..... if they are super accurate, THEN I'll need the.... WTF do you crazy kids call it... "jackrag".... smile

A legit long range bullet that holds together up close remains a bit of a Holy Grail...

Good to read that quote from Hornady about the regular ELD's/Amax. When I was emailing with their tech department about it, I never could pin the dude down to saying that specific thing ("it's exactly the same except the tip").... that's comforting.

(This all probably sounds a bit crazy to peeps who don't use Amax's but they are such an accurate and just as important EASY bullet to get to shoot really well that any changes are spooky! )

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
A legit long range bullet that holds together up close remains a bit of a Holy Grail..

It doesn't exist.

But it's no suprise that you would swallow that kind of crap up.

At least you got the box open. Congratulations!?!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bellydeep
A legit long range bullet that holds together up close remains a bit of a Holy Grail..

It doesn't exist.

Sadly so.

Early reports are that ELD-X are kind of soft for up close/hv. Time will tell.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If they could only come out with a more modern tip like bronze or aluminum (some call that silver).

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

It doesn't exist.

Gad, you can be a tool.

I'm not talking timber hunting, poop-shoot up close, dingbat. Which you knew. But your tooliness got the better of you. Tool. wink

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It doesn't exist.

Gad, you can be a tool.

I'm not talking timber hunting, poop-shoot up close, dingbat. Which you knew. But your tooliness got the better of you. Tool. wink

Ok. Please explain your current issues with the terminal performance of the Berger VLD and Scenar.

And then explain how the magical ELD will solve all of the problems you describe. Please.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 32_20fan
They're phasing them out with their new ELD line of tipped bullets...heat/erosion resistant tips. At this time I think they have 6.5, 7, 30, and 338 offerings. Not sure what their plans are for the remaining calibers with Amax offerings.

Steve and Jason Hornady, and company should have spent a little more time planning the 'phasing out' of the AMax. From what I'm seeing the demand for the 6.5mm projectiles - AMax, ELD-M, and ELD-X - is likely beyond their wildest dream. Bare shelves cannot help sell a product - new or old.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
I sent Hornady an email, and they confirmed the ELD-M are the SAME as the A-max with the new tip. The ELD-X are a different animal. Email copied below:

tech
Apr 25

to me
Mr. Lake,

At this point in time the only thing that is different between the A-Max and the ELD-M is the tip.

Thank you

Should have asked when they plan on running enough to stock dealer shelves! Bet they have a 'canned' response for that question.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ill admit I don't get the whole premium bullet thing. The c&c said have always worked fine for me. From the mfg. perspective it does offer a opportunity for charging more but I'd be a bit concerned about losing market share.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I may go up and shoot a tester with the X's here this morning..... if they are super accurate, THEN I'll need the.... WTF do you crazy kids call it... "jackrag".... smile

A legit long range bullet that holds together up close remains a bit of a Holy Grail...

Good to read that quote from Hornady about the regular ELD's/Amax. When I was emailing with their tech department about it, I never could pin the dude down to saying that specific thing ("it's exactly the same except the tip").... that's comforting.

(This all probably sounds a bit crazy to peeps who don't use Amax's but they are such an accurate and just as important EASY bullet to get to shoot really well that any changes are spooky! )

No offense and fellow NM guy to NM guy, but have you ever thought of giving up posting for maybe a few years? I will if you will, at least outside of the classifieds. All to improve the fire!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

No offense and fellow NM guy to NM guy, but have you ever thought of giving up posting for maybe a few years? I will if you will, at least outside of the classifieds. All to improve the fire!

He did give up for a while, but just like chronic diarrhea he returned.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Why would I shoot either one when I can shoot a Sierra? grin

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gentlemen,
I greatly appreciate the input...

I think Jordan hit this one spot on. Nosler is still able sell the rather old fashioned Partition without a name change every time they've made a modest improvement through the years.

Hornady HAD one hell of a worldwide following with the Amax. Why risk that? Fix what's broken don't futch up what is working splendidly. Will be curious to read what Nathan Foster at Ballistic Studies has to say about the new bullets.

Regards, Matt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wonder if the tips will melt while Nathan's "annealing" the bullets.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I do like certain Hornady bullets, but I find this whole melting tip thing laughable.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by bangeye
Ill admit I don't get the whole premium bullet thing. The c&c said have always worked fine for me. From the mfg. perspective it does offer a opportunity for charging more but I'd be a bit concerned about losing market share.

Start shooting stuff a long way away, and "premium" bullets make a lot more sense.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Plus one; sure seems like a pure marketing ploy.

All will be forgiven if a) they drop right into existing Amax loads and perform the same and b) they are obtainable more easily than the 162 AM was. At least at the one store locally that really stocks this kind of stuff, looking good.... they had all manner of ELD's and some ELD-X's in stock as well.

Shot a few 162 ELD-X's the other day... they held MOA but that's crappy for that rifle.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
By all accounts that I trust, the ELD Match are shooting as well or better than the AMAX across the board.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Why would I shoot either one when I can shoot a Sierra? grin

Because if the Sierra bullet used is a Tipped Match King (TMK) the tip might melt. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by liliysdad
By all accounts that I trust, the ELD Match are shooting as well or better than the AMAX across the board.

Awesome. I have 700-800 Amax 162's left but I'm running through them fast.

I typed that last post in a hurry. Don't want to give the impression I'm getting bad results from the ELD-X. First try, which was very casual because I was mostly messing with a new scope, I simply dropped the ELD's into my fairly mild Amax load, made sure I wasn't in the lands, and shot them. They did "ok". I'll do a more formal load workup next week.

What I like in THEORY with the ELD-X's is that the Interlock design is well-liked and trusted. I've only used Interlocks on game in .35 caliber so what do I know, but I sure hear them getting some love from guys like Dogzapper and many others..... so if they'll hold together like that, shoot really good, and have that .630 BC then they become very interesting to a guy (me) who hasn't yet settled on a LR elk bullet.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
When Berger started claiming how their match bullets worked on game, everyone thought they were full of crap.

When Barnes started selling pure copper bullets, nobody ever thought they'd work good if they even worked at all.

Hornady may or may not be onto something. I think it's pretty funny how many will bad mouth Hornady for something that they can't prove, yet Nosler prints false BC's time and time again (that are easily debunked) and uses them in their advertisements!

The real pisser about the Hornady "just the tip" campaign is the cost increase. Hornady bean counters will consider it a win because of guys like JeffO who shoot more than anybody else and skew the popularity numbers...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hornady bean counters will consider it a win

The owners just might be happy, too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The real pisser about the Hornady "just the tip" campaign is the cost increase.

Agreed. A minor improvement would be welcomed, but when there's a cost increase for something that so far hasn't been a problem, I'm a little annoyed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When Berger started claiming how their match bullets worked on game, everyone thought they were full of crap.

When Barnes started selling pure copper bullets, nobody ever thought they'd work good if they even worked at all.

Hornady may or may not be onto something. I think it's pretty funny how many will bad mouth Hornady for something that they can't prove, yet Nosler prints false BC's time and time again (that are easily debunked) and uses them in their advertisements!

The real pisser about the Hornady "just the tip" campaign is the cost increase. Hornady bean counters will consider it a win because of guys like JeffO who shoot more than anybody else and skew the popularity numbers...

I have 3 rifles that luv them some 162 Amax, yes indeed I will make the bean counters at Hornady happy if the ELD's do the same or better. smile

Personally, ammo cost has only ever caused me to stop shooting in one instance, when NATO surplus 7.62 dried up. I had two M1a's that got heavy use when battle packs of milsurp were $45/200 rounds... when that went away I sold them. Couldn't afford to feed them.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by southtexas
Hornady bean counters will consider it a win

The owners just might be happy, too.

You don't think they are counting beans?

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger

I have 3 rifles that luv them some 162 Amax, yes indeed I will make the bean counters at Hornady happy if the ELD's do the same or better. smile

Personally, ammo cost has only ever caused me to stop shooting in one instance, when NATO surplus 7.62 dried up. I had two M1a's that got heavy use when battle packs of milsurp were $45/200 rounds... when that went away I sold them. Couldn't afford to feed them.

32 cent bullets out of three rifles is ok? But god forbid a couple .308's are expensive to feed....

Last edited by Higbean; 05/19/16.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The real pisser about the Hornady "just the tip" campaign is the cost increase.

Agreed. A minor improvement would be welcomed, but when there's a cost increase for something that so far hasn't been a problem, I'm a little annoyed.

This is why I find the whole thing laughable. Here we have numerous shooters/hunters at 24HCF that have proven the AMAX as a good flyer and killer at distance. On the other hand, we have Hornady who says they had to invent a new bullet because the current AMAX was a faulty product.

Which group is full of crap? I gotta say Hornady.

Last edited by JGRaider; 05/19/16.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
It was only faulty in that it wasn't giving them the profit margins they would have liked.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
They never said the Amax was faulty, simply that it could be better.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

So a melting bullet tip isn't faulty?

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger

The only way to make the Amax better would have been to make it cheaper. Dumb bastids.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Cheaper? How much cheaper did you want what was already the cheapest relevant long range bullet to be?

I swear...folks will bitch about anything. God forbid a manufacturer attempt to make a product improvement. I didnt see a great wailing and gnashing of teeth when Sierra tipped the Match King...and the price of that increased as well. Hell, the ELD Match and ELD X are still cheaper than the TMK..

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Cheaper? How much cheaper did you want what was already the cheapest relevant long range bullet to be?

I wasn't bitching, but I'd be really happy with free bullets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I swear...folks will bitch about anything. God forbid a manufacturer attempt to make a product improvement. I didnt see a great wailing and gnashing of teeth when Sierra tipped the Match King...and the price of that increased as well. Hell, the ELD Match and ELD X are still cheaper than the TMK..

The difference is that you could still buy the regular MK as well. I'd gladly welcome the ELD if they still offered the AM at the same time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everything always gets more expensive, it never gets cheaper. Unless they start making the same product with half-ok quality in China or similar. Then prices drop dramatically.

At least that's the way it works here.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I was saying that they couldn't improve on the Amax. But whatever.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
fwiw & imho,
Marketing stupidity in action... The Amax name has earned a superb reputation far beyond our shores. Rob Furlong, the Canadian Sniper in Afghanistan for example, made the second longest sniper shot in history with a McMillan Tac-50 and a Hornady 750 grain A-Max... Thomas Haugland on Youtube is fairly interesting and he bought 123 and 140 grain 6.5mm Amax's in bulk. Made it very clear the 140 was his favorite bullet... They could have corrected the tip issue, IF THERE WAS A TIP ISSUE, and maintained the name and cache it has EARNED. Oh no let's start over...

Someone tell Nosler it is about time they ditch the Partition and Ballistic Tip... Change the names so no one can find chit that they've been using using for years. One need look no further than Alliant's Powder Lineup if you want confusion. We now have Reloader 15, 16, and 17. I say add an 18, 20, and 21 as well... They can't even keep up with current demand for LEGACY products and they continue to expand the product line. This must make sense to someone... When he is found get him to explain it all...

Regards, Matt.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you want sticker shock, price the 7mm scenars. smirk

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
FWIW, I have been messing with the 162 ELD-X, the hunting version in my chunky 7 WSM. Today I found my load; 7 shots into 1/2" or so center to center. Best part, exact same POI at 100 yards as the 162 Amax, which given that they are very different bullets, was not a given.

We will see what we see terminally, and if the BC holds up at long ranges, but the bullet just got veddy eeenteresting to me.

Now where's that jackrag.........

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Has anyone tried the 162 BTHP? No tip and a little loss in BC but they've shot well (in other calibers) for me.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 67 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.